Iowa's Hoop Problems

I don't disagree, and Iowa's record of 13-6 and 2-4 are exactly what I predicted them to be at this juncture, back in October. Given their schedule the rest of the way, I think they have a chance of being 9-9 which is what I thought they could be.

I agree with the 9-9. With one win in the BTC tourney, Iowa should get a bid (to The Dance).

I should rephrase. Marble is our best bet to score in the paint off the dribble, IMO. Clemmons is the best bet to penetrate and find the open man for a good shot. But I think he'll develop into a guy who can score off the dribble consistently.

I would agree for the most part, but that teardrop floater Sapp dropped last game was sick.

I don't really agree with this. Ogelsby refuses to shoot any sort of contested jumpers, the majority of his 3's have been very good looks. If there's any defender running at him, he pump fakes and takes a couple dribbles.

I disagree, he rarely ever gets a wide open shot off a kick out ball rotation. All of his looks come off screens or in transition.

I don't think he'll ever be that good at shooting off screens, hes too slow and defense usually gets through in time to contest it.

I disagree, he rarely ever gets a wide open shot off a kick out ball rotation. All of his looks come off screens or in transition.

I don't think he'll ever be that good at shooting off screens, hes too slow and defense usually gets through in time to contest it.

Just going to throw this out there. What is the quickest way to bust open a game outside of defensive pressure creating transition?

The three point shot. Look at what happened when Marshall caught fire against Iowa the other day...Wisconsin came back in a short period of time.

Now, why would any team want to see Oglesby get much space? People are quick to point out that Oglesby was able to hit shots when it doesn't matter. Maybe because he has that space in those blow out games.
He has hit some shots in games that weren't blowouts, but he had the space created by dribble penetration, or off an offensive rebound.

I guess what I am trying to say is, maybe other Big Ten teams don't respect any Iowa shooter other than Oglesby, therefore he doesn't get a whole lot of wide open looks.

Now, this is not a back track when I say this either, but Oglesby has passed up some shots, but I also think that he doesn't know when to shoot. Shot selection, or poor shot selection has led to transition points for the opponent a lot this season, that could be in the back of his mind as well.

As I said before though, the 3-pt shot is not the only issue with Iowa's offense. Watching Michigan tonight, when a player gets the ball, what does he do first, look for the open man, no thought of dribbling before they HAVE too. Iowa is the opposite when things get tough, they dribble and dribble for 20 seconds and force a poor shot.

If I remember correctly, White started the season at the 3 and was moved to the 4 where he has proved to be much more effective.

It's obvious that we are losing less than any other team in the Big Ten for next year. I would guess that every team that will finish above us this year, will be losing some very key players. If Zeller leaves as predicted, Indiana will be hard pressed to replace him no matter how many blue chippers they have lined up. Same with Burke for Michigan. Minnesota and Wisconsin are losing some key front liners. Michigan St. somewhat less so. We lose May, who have been surprisingly effective this year, but we get Uthoff and Jok and an unknown quantity in Meyer. Things are looking up for the Hawkeyes.

Marble is getting serious defensive attention this year.
And when he struggles, Iowa doesn't really have a 2nd or 3rd go-to guy.

Homer. Did you just climb out of a cave or what? Take a look at where White stands in the BIG stat wise when it comes to a few things like shooting %, free throw %, points per game, total rebounds, offensive rebounds, etc. No problem calling out players, but, you gotta be kidding me. No. He's not MJ. But try again. "He's not doing any well" shows your ignorance.

It depends on what the Iowa fan wants. If you're satisfied with another one (and probably) done NCAA/NIT showing for Iowa, White is fantastic.

Being one of the best players on this year's team, I'm just saying White has an awful long way to go to develop his game. For starters, does he want to be a 3 or a 4? He's not good at either. He shoots poorly and has no credible low post game.

Let White practice his low post moves during practice. He hurts the team when he tries them during a game. Bulk up, too, if you want to shoot in the low post. Put him on the bench when he throws up a circus shot when he's down low and contested.

Way too much player development/new players needed for some of you guys to even think about a top 5 prediction for Iowa next year.

Last edited:
It depends on what the Iowa fan wants. If you're satisfied with another one (and probably) done NCAA/NIT showing for Iowa, White is fantastic.

Being one of the best players on this year's team, I'm just saying White has an awful long way to go to develop his game. For starters, does he want to be a 3 or a 4? He's not good at either. He shoots poorly and has no credible low post game.

Let White practice his low post moves during practice. He hurts the team when he tries them during a game. Bulk up, too, if you want to shoot in the low post. Put him on the bench when he throws up a circus shot when he's down low and contested.

Way too much player development/new players needed for some of you guys to even think about a top 5 prediction for Iowa next year.

Um, okay

Five of Iowa's six losses are to ranked teams.

Iowa isn't that far from being a ranked team, not just an NCAA tournament team.

If your last statement were true, people wouldn't be thinking about a top 5 finish next year, rather than hoping to have a chance at postseason play.

Marble is getting serious defensive attention this year.
And when he struggles, Iowa doesn't really have a 2nd or 3rd go-to guy.

Iowa has played fine when Marble was keyed on...when he stays within the offense and doesn't try to be a superstar.

Your stupidity and ignorance shines. Nice job.

If I remember correctly, White started the season at the 3 and was moved to the 4 where he has proved to be much more effective.

It's obvious that we are losing less than any other team in the Big Ten for next year. I would guess that every team that will finish above us this year, will be losing some very key players. If Zeller leaves as predicted, Indiana will be hard pressed to replace him no matter how many blue chippers they have lined up. Same with Burke for Michigan. Minnesota and Wisconsin are losing some key front liners. Michigan St. somewhat less so. We lose May, who have been surprisingly effective this year, but we get Uthoff and Jok and an unknown quantity in Meyer. Things are looking up for the Hawkeyes.

Last time I checked both Jok and Uthoff are unknown quantities also. Jok is still in high school. And Uthoff has rode the pine for two straight years.

The team lacks scorers, period. Look around college basketball and tell me how many teams consistently shoot as poorly as we do. I have seen teams have poor shooting games, but not seasons, which is where we are headed. All summer we heard about the 3 point prowess of Oglesby, McCabe, Gessel and White locking himself in the gym shooting jumpers all night, but it has not translated to the court. You can blame youth if you like, but shooters and scorers have an off night or two, not seasons. Now we are hearing Uthoff is the best player on the team and wait until he is eligible...yikes. We need a Recker, Haluska, Barnes etc., type transfer of juco. Maybe somebody leaves and we get an unexpected opening.

To satisfy BBMan, I should have posted that White shoots poorly unless he's an uncontested slam away from the basket. That's right, I'm saying White gets lots of his points from transition baskets, which ain't gonna happen as often against good teams/players.

EDIT: I agree, Iowa doesn't have any consistant shooters. Every opponent might as well zone Iowa. Maybe box and one with the one (a tallish, athletic guard) guarding Marble. Iowa needs more talent.

Last edited:
The team lacks scorers, period. Look around college basketball and tell me how many teams consistently shoot as poorly as we do. I have seen teams have poor shooting games, but not seasons, which is where we are headed. All summer we heard about the 3 point prowess of Oglesby, McCabe, Gessel and White locking himself in the gym shooting jumpers all night, but it has not translated to the court. You can blame youth if you like, but shooters and scorers have an off night or two, not seasons. Now we are hearing Uthoff is the best player on the team and wait until he is eligible...yikes. We need a Recker, Haluska, Barnes etc., type transfer of juco. Maybe somebody leaves and we get an unexpected opening.

LOL yes why doesn't Fran get the juco equivalent of the number one player in the country? God it's so easy, why the hell doesn't Fran just do this?!?