Iowa's Hoop Problems

Iowa didn't shoot free throws well. Iowa didn't shoot well, period. tOSU was also obviously so much more athletic than Iowa.

I'm not sure it's kosher to single out players, but I'm gonna, here.

Every time White powers to the basket and he's contested, he gets his shot swatted back into his face. Because of, he's been trying awkward, circus-like shots that might as well be Iowa turnovers. White should put on more muscle, practice low post moves more, or practice his outside shot more. He's not doing any very well.

White is a 3 that starts as a 4.

Which guard, Clemmons or Gessell, is going to come off the bench since Marble would be playing the 2. And who is going to play the 4? Basabe needs to stay coming off the bench, McCabe?

White just needs to get stronger and work on his outside jumper, and be that true inside/outside 4. That's his best fit, and it keeps the lineup from getting completely jumbled.

Jon has mentioned 10-8 as he had @ Penn State as a loss before Frazier got hurt.

But interesting to go back and read some of those predictions as most of us were in the same ball park. I nailed the non conference but I have us 8-10 in conference. I still say 10 wins between conference and BTT gets Iowa into the dance.

Jon has mentioned 10-8 as he had @ Penn State as a loss before Frazier got hurt.

But interesting to go back and read some of those predictions as most of us were in the same ball park. I nailed the non conference but I have us 8-10 in conference. I still say 10 wins between conference and BTT gets Iowa into the dance.

I agree but am becoming more skeptical about getting to 10 conf W's. Purdue is a near must-win for that 10 but just don't see Hawks shooting well enough to beat Purdue on the road. That leaves a sub-par resume of W's the rest of the way, assuming Hawks simply take care of business ...
PU = L (13-7, 2-5)
PSU = W (14-7, 3-5)
@ Minny & Wisky = L's (14-9, 3-7)
NwU @ PSU = W's (16-9, 5-7)
Minny - home = L (this could be a great win, late in the season, but don't think a bad shooting Iowa team is gonna beat a strong D like Minny) (16-10, 5-8)
@ Nebraska (slip-up???), PU - home = W's (18-10, 7-8)
@ Indy = L (18-11, 7-9)
Illannoy & Nebraska = must W's (20-11, 9-9).

Where I thought it was chalk to get 9 conf wins, and a realistic shot at 11, I see some huge hurdles for a bad-shooting team that has 60% of it's starting line up that still needs to hit the "freshman wall".

Agree with Spank, top 3 potential for next year's team. Hopefully, a developmental springboard run in the NIT this year.

I agree but am becoming more skeptical about getting to 10 conf W's. Purdue is a near must-win for that 10 but just don't see Hawks shooting well enough to beat Purdue on the road. That leaves a sub-par resume of W's the rest of the way, assuming Hawks simply take care of business ...
PU = L (13-7, 2-5)
PSU = W (14-7, 3-5)
@ Minny & Wisky = L's (14-9, 3-7)
NwU @ PSU = W's (16-9, 5-7)
Minny - home = L (this could be a great win, late in the season, but don't think a bad shooting Iowa team is gonna beat a strong D like Minny) (16-10, 5-8)
@ Nebraska (slip-up???), PU - home = W's (18-10, 7-8)
@ Indy = L (18-11, 7-9)
Illannoy & Nebraska = must W's (20-11, 9-9).

Where I thought it was chalk to get 9 conf wins, and a realistic shot at 11, I see some huge hurdles for a bad-shooting team that has 60% of it's starting line up that still needs to hit the "freshman wall".

Agree with Spank, top 3 potential for next year's team. Hopefully, a developmental springboard run in the NIT this year.

Agree with this, although I think Fran's been playing the freshmen less in order to hopefully avoid the "freshman wall", much like he seemed to do with White last year

Agree with this, although I think Fran's been playing the freshmen less in order to hopefully avoid the "freshman wall", much like he seemed to do with White last year

Both Clemmons and Gessell have had their ups and downs, I don't think they'll hit the freshman wall, just continue to have ups and downs. Woody won't hit a freshman wall either. He's playing okay as a freshman, but hasn't played well enough to consider him hitting a wall.

The "freshman wall" excuse is just that, an excuse....most of these guys play more games during their high school years when you add in AAU on top of their high school team than they do this year as a frosh at Iowa.

NC - that may very well be true but you forget the adjustment to "College Life" whether it be in terms of tougher classes requiring more study time, dorm life, and traveling a couple hundred miles prior to hitting the court in some cases and sleeping in a hotel room which can all add up to a very draining experience for some.

The "freshman wall" excuse is just that, an excuse....most of these guys play more games during their high school years when you add in AAU on top of their high school team than they do this year as a frosh at Iowa.

The step up in pressure is immense though. It's more of a mental wall than a physical wall.

I agree that Burke goes after this year. He almost did last year. Not sure there is anything more for him at this level. Hardaway is gonna be a tweener again, but that may be what he is. Agree on Thomas. Minnesota loses Mbakwe and Williams to graduation but they will be a solid team. Indiana could lose Zeller, and will lose Watford and Hulls...I could see Oladipo giving the league a hard look, too.

Iowa loses the least, IMO, no disrespect to Eric May because I have a great deal of respect for him.

Burke, Zeller are gone for sure. Ill bet Oladipo and Hardaway are too. Robinson could even be gone.

Iowa didn't shoot free throws well. Iowa didn't shoot well, period. tOSU was also obviously so much more athletic than Iowa.

I'm not sure it's kosher to single out players, but I'm gonna, here.

Every time White powers to the basket and he's contested, he gets his shot swatted back into his face. Because of, he's been trying awkward, circus-like shots that might as well be Iowa turnovers. White should put on more muscle, practice low post moves more, or practice his outside shot more. He's not doing any very well.

White is a 3 that starts as a 4.

Homer. Did you just climb out of a cave or what? Take a look at where White stands in the BIG stat wise when it comes to a few things like shooting %, free throw %, points per game, total rebounds, offensive rebounds, etc. No problem calling out players, but, you gotta be kidding me. No. He's not MJ. But try again. "He's not doing any well" shows your ignorance.

I feel you have to have some very good (meaning, that really good players are more important than experience) players to consistently win on the road in college basketball. You have to have people who can overcome the energy boost that comes from playing in front of their own fans, and the ability to shoot in a different atmosphere than they are used to, maybe even someone who can get to the basket consistently, nullifying the uncomfortable shooters background.

We don't really have any really good college basketball players, we have some pretty solid college basketball players, some with the potential to be really good but we just don't have the talent to win in good teams' gyms.

I feel you have to have some very good (meaning, that really good players are more important than experience) players to consistently win on the road in college basketball. You have to have people who can overcome the energy boost that comes from playing in front of their own fans, and the ability to shoot in a different atmosphere than they are used to, maybe even someone who can get to the basket consistently, nullifying the uncomfortable shooters background.

We don't really have any really good college basketball players, we have some pretty solid college basketball players, some with the potential to be really good but we just don't have the talent to win in good teams' gyms.

wow. just WOW.

Iowa is shooting just .303 from three in all games this year, but just .268 in Big Ten play. Illinois and Nebraska are actually shooting worse from three than is Iowa in Big Ten play.

During the out of conference, teams were zoning Iowa, given this deficiency from the outside. However now in Big Ten play, with Big Ten teams who have better players and on ball defenders, Iowa isn't seeing as much zone. Why? The double-whammy; they don't have players who can consistently beat opponents off the dribble, therefore teams can play what they prefer which is man to man. It's harder to rebound out of a zone when you don't play it all the time. Iowa is having to work harder to score in its half court sets.

This team will be better next year as I expect Gesell, Clemmons and Woodbury to be a year smarter and stronger. Aaron White has not reached his peak yet and needs more offensive refinement and more core strength. Bring in Jarrod Uthoff (he is not the cavalry, BTW) and that is a good addition.

Peter Jok will be a very interesting wild card. If he can continue to get better on his drive game, re: if he can get his legs back to where they once were, he can be a huge help there and he will be a help in the three game.

Josh Oglesby is hitting just .288 from three on the year, and .261 in Big Ten play. Given that teams are playing man and don't have to offer sag help into the lane because Iowa can't dribble drive as a whole, he's not getting great looks. For all of McCaffery's glowing comments on how he shoots in practice (and I water down Franspeak to some degree as he speaks in hyperbole about his players, likely to let them know he is confident in them), it hasn't shown up in games on a consistent basis. I don't doubt that he is likely Iowa's best outside shooter, but he's having a bad year.

Like it or not, this program is still in a stage of development and is missing a few pieces. Uthoff and Jok will help next year, but the players they have are going to have to get better this off season for Iowa to make the kind of jump everyone hopes they can. There is talent, and this team will flirt with an NCAA bid this year, but the step next year is playing for seed, or needs to be.

The three point shot is just one of Iowa's offensive problems.

When it comes down to it, Iowa doesn't have anyone that resembles a "go-to" guy whatsoever.

Now, that is not the worst thing in the world, but when guys that are incapable of that try to...well, then you have how Iowa finished the game when they cut it to 4.

The great thing is that the three freshman have that ability to be the "go-to" guy, maybe not so much this season, but somewhere during next year. Each guy has worlds of ability and is doing a good job right now.

Also, if White would develop his mid-range game some more, he is going to be pretty dangerous.

I still think that this team has an identity issue, they have no "best" player and when they don't focus on ball movement and less dribbling on offense they struggle the most.

Another thing that I see is the reluctance of multiple players being hesitant taking mid-range shots, not just one player that has been singled out way to often. Iowa has to become more efficient, use more head and ball fakes to create better shots without forcing things off the dribble.

The three point shot is just one of Iowa's offensive problems.

When it comes down to it, Iowa doesn't have anyone that resembles a "go-to" guy whatsoever.

Now, that is not the worst thing in the world, but when guys that are incapable of that try to...well, then you have how Iowa finished the game when they cut it to 4.

The great thing is that the three freshman have that ability to be the "go-to" guy, maybe not so much this season, but somewhere during next year. Each guy has worlds of ability and is doing a good job right now.

Also, if White would develop his mid-range game some more, he is going to be pretty dangerous.

I still think that this team has an identity issue, they have no "best" player and when they don't focus on ball movement and less dribbling on offense they struggle the most.

Another thing that I see is the reluctance of multiple players being hesitant taking mid-range shots, not just one player that has been singled out way to often. Iowa has to become more efficient, use more head and ball fakes to create better shots without forcing things off the dribble.

This pretty well sums it up, particularly the bit about not having a go-to guy. When they pass the ball well, they have success. Lots of great ball movement against Wisconsin when they built up the lead.

Marble's our best bet off the dribble, but that should be a last resort, not something we turn to with 15 on the shot clock.

This pretty well sums it up, particularly the bit about not having a go-to guy. When they pass the ball well, they have success. Lots of great ball movement against Wisconsin when they built up the lead.

Marble's our best bet off the dribble, but that should be a last resort, not something we turn to with 15 on the shot clock.

I am beginning to think Clemmons is quickly becoming the best off the dribble.

I am beginning to think Clemmons is quickly becoming the best off the dribble.

I should rephrase. Marble is our best bet to score in the paint off the dribble, IMO. Clemmons is the best bet to penetrate and find the open man for a good shot. But I think he'll develop into a guy who can score off the dribble consistently.

I should rephrase. Marble is our best bet to score in the paint off the dribble, IMO. Clemmons is the best bet to penetrate and find the open man for a good shot. But I think he'll develop into a guy who can score off the dribble consistently.

I will agree with you today, we'll see as this season plays out. Clemmons is becoming more aggressive and he is the kind of athlete that can score, but also see the open guy ahead of time. He has been more of a pass first guy when driving, but slowly that has been changing.

The one thing he and other Hawks need to learn is to show your shot so soon when driving, it too often results in a block. Iowa needs to go hard and shoot later and know contact is coming, or a defender is coming, go up much stronger with purpose.

Latest posts