Iowa's defense

NCHawker

Anyone here concerned?

Pass rush

Pass defense?

Defending read option

Defending misdirection?

If you didn't notice, on 4th down Purdue lined up in punt formation, ran a double reverse for 25+ yards.

Yes. I am concerned.

Definitely concerned. They only saving grace might be that if our secondary doesn't have 20 yard cushions, we might come down with one of Armstrong's signature arm punts. While I would love to get more pressure on him, we can't afford to pass rush, fail, and get burned for 10-15 plays. Force Armstrong to take the 5-10 yards and he'll eventually turn the ball over.

Our pass rush is kind of broken. I really hope I don't have to say that "If Ott stays healthy Iowa wins a national championship" because right now that's what's keeping us from being that level of a team. Fortunately our offense is really, really good right now.

Anyone here concerned?

Pass rush

Pass defense?

Defending read option

Defending misdirection?

If you didn't notice, on 4th down Purdue lined up in punt formation, ran a double reverse for 25+ yards.

Yes. I am concerned.

Being a coach, you always keep something in the tank. I firmly believe the last 3 games we have been ultra-vanilla. Little or no blitzing, very little raider package...look for Phil to come with some blitz packages, both run and pass. Feel we will really open up the defensive playbook. I think we will see some man press with King and some safeties over the top on Mabins side. Key is our offense...make no mistake about it.

Being a coach, you always keep something in the tank. I firmly believe the last 3 games we have been ultra-vanilla. Little or no blitzing, very little raider package...look for Phil to come with some blitz packages, both run and pass. Feel we will really open up the defensive playbook. I think we will see some man press with King and some safeties over the top on Mabins side. Key is our offense...make no mistake about it.

This is what I have said in a couple of other threads. I think we will see a few wrinkles from Phil as he had a couple of new looks for them 2 years ago.

I both believe and really hope this is true. I feel like Iowa this year is just like packing a lunch pail and going to work. Some days we have to work harder to get it done. Others we just get the job done and go home.

The only thing on the list that really bugs me is the pass rush. I think there's so much better a chance of a turnover if we can pressure TA. If not, I worry he can pick us apart like several other "mediocre" QBs have this year.

Last edited:
Saw these stats recently and no, I don't think stats tell anywhere near the whole story, but this looks like there may be some fatigue creeping in

» Yards per game allowed: First eight: 286.3. Last three: 415.3.

» Points per game allowed: First eight: 15.3. Last three: 27.3.

» Rushing touchdowns allowed: First eight: one. Last three: six.

Indiana you can understand, but the Gophers and Purdue put up similar numbers...

I am confident our defense will be ready to play Friday. These young men are as tough as nails.

Good thoughts. And makes sense. I'd guess the coaches were thinking this game would be the toughest test. Save some defense film. But I still don't get the DL/DE going ironman -- backups look to be capable-enough of going a series or two (not mass-subbing).

#1 -- the Offense is the key.

Saw these stats recently and no, I don't think stats tell anywhere near the whole story, but this looks like there may be some fatigue creeping in

» Yards per game allowed: First eight: 286.3. Last three: 415.3.

» Points per game allowed: First eight: 15.3. Last three: 27.3.

» Rushing touchdowns allowed: First eight: one. Last three: six.

Indiana you can understand, but the Gophers and Purdue put up similar numbers...

In another thread I referred to it as season fatigue. It is concerning. It's also possible that we go into a semi prevent defense: Up twenty to nothing on a blustery cold windy day in Kinnick and coaches went conservative thinking Purdue could not even score that many points against us. Also possible the defense let up thinking the same thing. In the fourth quarter it was like someone flipped the switch back on and both the offense and defense came out of hibernation........ Go bears.... Oops, um I mean Hawkeyes. :)

This is a very good defense. They have helped this team go undefeated. They already have as many sacks in 11 games as last year's team did in 13. They lead the Big 10 in interceptions. They held their 2 closest rivals in the Big 10 west to a combined 16 points! This is a defense that will continue to excel.

I don't expect us to get more adventurous, I expect us to pucker up more. Phil is paranoid about giving up big plays and will give up easy 8 yards passes in that pursuit.

This may be true. Perhaps we aren't showing any blitz packages for this reason but you don't tell your front three to take it easy. Even with out blitzing the front three should be getting more pressure on the QB.

I'm with you on this topic.

The past two Saturday's, the former athlete and coach in me came out and was concerned about the D.

Then on Sunday morning rational thought crept back in my brain and my belief is the Hawks will play at another level on D come Friday.

It's been a fun ride is all I can really say at this point.

Gotta blitz Friday to get Armstrong off of his game.

I have seen every Nebraska game, because my 2 favorite teams are Iowa and whoever Nebraska plays. Armstrong sometimes struggles more with nickel type coverages...he tends to force throws into windows that aren't open. I think Iowa will Blitz but I think they would do very well with some secondary type twist on coverages and see if Tommy will try to do too much! We are not built to blitz every possession...it is just not in our coaches DNA. I do believe we will blitz...but it will be select blitzes. To me contain Tommy...don't let him run by a blitz....and make him throw to beat us. They have a very poor rushing offense...just watch them, lots of fullback runs.

Gotta blitz Friday to get Armstrong off of his game.

Did you take note of Iowa's success rate when blitzing? Off the top of my head, I can think of three 20+ yard plays on blitzes from last Saturday, all of which happened on Purdue scoring drives. Hawks were pretty stout when they did not blitz. They had some successes with blitzing last week, but more breakdowns.

Did you take note of Iowa's success rate when blitzing? Off the top of my head, I can think of three 20+ yard plays on blitzes from last Saturday, all of which happened on Purdue scoring drives. Hawks were pretty stout when they did not blitz. They had some successes with blitzing last week, but more breakdowns.

The blitzes never get home cause they are obvious where they are coming from. Iowa does not disguise blizes worth a damn. They show pre snap, then blitz exactly where you think they will. A good line will pick that up, or a good blocking back.

Latest posts