102nd
Overall

[h=4]RUSHING YARDS[/h]
105th
Overall

[h=4]POINTS FOR[/h]
114th

no more needs to be said.

I think a lot needs to be said. Questions need to be asked and need to be answered. Like how the "he#$ are we going to fix this" and "how the he#$ did we let things get this bad" oh and here is a good one: Why would you coninue to play the same QB for every freaking snap all year long with these kind of numbers?"

Maybe this one: Are there going to be major changes made so the IA program joins the year 2012 and beyond college football landscape?

PASSING YARDS

102nd
Overall

RUSHING YARDS

105th
Overall

POINTS FOR

114th

Thank you for posting this. These numbers are very revealing and never should be forgotten until ferentz is gone.

To be fair, Iowa rarely has a good offense since ferentz has been here. However, you would think a team with these offensive numbers would not be from a BCS conference. Maybe from a MAC or C-USA team.

I'm so disgusted by looking at these numbers that I'm just gonna stop. Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will the big Iowa boosters please step in and buy this fool out??????????????????????????????????????????????

FreedComanche

PASSING YARDS 187.4 102nd Overall
RUSHING YARDS 123.0 105th Overall
POINTS FOR 19.3 114th

I agree with this and JSMHAWK, this is what is is but how and why?? But we know why the running game suffers each year because the hawks dont have a good passing game on a yearly basis.

If Iowa had an efficient passing game which burned teams for loading the box then teams couldnt load the box and the running game would be better.

Hey, this year Iowa had a good enough Oline and running backs to avg close to 200 yards rushing a game IF and only IF the passing game is better.

It is terrible that B1G school with a rich and decent history cant have much of a passing game the last 14 years.

I think the main thing is the passing game needs to be drastically upgraded and become efficient, less drops, less bad targets, and it has to burn the other team and make them pay.

Thank you for posting this. These numbers are very revealing and never should be forgotten until ferentz is gone.

To be fair, Iowa rarely has a good offense since ferentz has been here. However, you would think a team with these offensive numbers would not be from a BCS conference. Maybe from a MAC or C-USA team.

I'm so disgusted by looking at these numbers that I'm just gonna stop. Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will the big Iowa boosters please step in and buy this fool out??????????????????????????????????????????????

FreedComanche

Plus he makes too much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

​Captive Anasazi

Good to hear. Do you have some inside information on who the new hires will be.

Oh no changes in the staff, they are going to really "open" it up. On 3rd and 3 they will have WR rund 3 and 4 yd routes in an attempt to get first downs!!! Will be awesome borderline epic!!

Oh no changes in the staff, they are going to really "open" it up. On 3rd and 3 they will have WR rund 3 and 4 yd routes in an attempt to get first downs!!! Will be awesome borderline epic!!

What kind of athletes does one need to recruit in order to achieve this awesomeness?

Long distance between where they are to top 25% of teams.

Coaching
Scheme
Player football IQ
Player talent
Game day execution
Desire / urgency

All seemed to be lacking this year. Hard to guage football IQ but it's certainly part of it.

PASSING YARDS

102nd
Overall

RUSHING YARDS

105th
Overall

POINTS FOR

114th

We had a pretty soft non-con schedule and we had a very weak B10 schedule with Indiana and Purdue from the other side and soft defenses from Northwestern and Minnesota to pad our stats. This is absolutely pathetic. O'Keefe would have had us at least around 75th which would have made the difference between 7-5 and 4-8.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't mind the macro strategy of keeping the offensive numbers lower by trying to pound the rock and win the TOP battle rather than being kind of a home run hitting team that runs a lot of hurry up plays per game and adds maybe two possessions per team to the game because I think it protects our defense and gives us the best chance to win with our general talent level, but this year's offense was just an abomination. Sure, O'Keefe's style wasn't going to blow the doors off of anyone, but he had his finger on the pulse and knew how to beat you down the seam to the TE off a play action or with a fly to punish teams for loading the box. Davis just never did that (or when he did, it was only once a game and then he went back to his craptastic style).

Again, I don't think we had offensive talent in the top half of the country and given our macro strategy, I would not have expected to be above say 50-60 overall in offense, but if this O had kind of trended to O'Keefe's historical norm this team would have been materially better than it was.

With the exception of a couple of seasons, Iowa's offense has been mediocre to just downright pathetic. This year is as bad as I've seen. I agree with Okeefe that there's really nothing wrong with running a ball control offense and winning TOP, keeping positions at a minimum, and playing tough defense. Whatever gets you the W's is fine with me. Problem is, the running game clearly is not effective, either, which is pretty disappointing considering that the running game is known as "Iowa's Bread-N-Butter". I'm not sure where that myth comes from - I guess maybe from the fact that's what Iowa LIKES to do - but that doesn't mean it does it WELL.

That said, I think you need to have some kind of vertical passing threat. Enough to keep opposing defenses honest at least. Otherwise, what's to stop your opponent from loading the box if knows you won't (or can't) hurt them deep? In that case (like this year), I can't imagine having a lot of success on the ground when your opponent can safely sell out to stop the ground game.

OP is way way off base.

Offenses are vastly overrated. Almost irrelevant, since.....

Defense, after-all, wins championships.

:rolleyes:

With the exception of a couple of seasons, Iowa's offense has been mediocre to just downright pathetic. This year is as bad as I've seen. I agree with Okeefe that there's really nothing wrong with running a ball control offense and winning TOP, keeping positions at a minimum, and playing tough defense. Whatever gets you the W's is fine with me. Problem is, the running game clearly is not effective, either, which is pretty disappointing considering that the running game is known as "Iowa's Bread-N-Butter". I'm not sure where that myth comes from - I guess maybe from the fact that's what Iowa LIKES to do - but that doesn't mean it does it WELL.

That said, I think you need to have some kind of vertical passing threat. Enough to keep opposing defenses honest at least. Otherwise, what's to stop your opponent from loading the box if knows you won't (or can't) hurt them deep? In that case (like this year), I can't imagine having a lot of success on the ground when your opponent can safely sell out to stop the ground game.
Gotta give Davis a partial pass, though, because the line did turn to crap when the left side went down. But the guy made very few adjustments to deal with that. O'Keefe lost guys, too, but still managed to have some semblance of an offense.

Fire everybody!!!

​AlcoholicSauk

I'd be okay with this. At the very least Gerg and The Corporal. There's zero explanation, rationalization or excuse for this offense, with these players, to be this completely inept. The situational incompetence, schematic / personnel mismanagement and complete lack of urgency to play to win the game is beyond comprehension from any one holding themselves out to be a coach at the NCAA level. It's reared it's head numerous times over the years but has been approaching the norm over the last three.

At least a house cleaning would offer some justification for zero expectations. Even then, I'd still be more optimistic with a completely new staff than I am with the current staff. There is not another coach in all of NCAA college football that would go worse than 6-6 with this team, against this schedule, even taking into consideration all the circumstances that occurred this season (injuries, whatever).

Gotta give Davis a partial pass, though, because the line did turn to crap when the left side went down. But the guy made very few adjustments to deal with that. O'Keefe lost guys, too, but still managed to have some semblance of an offense.

Agreed on Davis. The OL injuries were not his fault, and that definitely hurt things. But I still hate the overall scheme and not even looking downfield, guys consistently running routes short of the sticks on 3rd and 4th down, etc. Or the inability to get plays in quicker when you're behind with under 2 minutes to go in the 4th.

KOK's offense may not have been effective as we want and the 2-minute offense was still lacking to say the least, but at least it appeared they were at least trying for bigger gains at times. And some years, the Hawks did have good or decent offenses (2002, 2005, 2008 come to mind).

I'd be okay with this. At the very least Gerg and The Corporal. There's zero explanation, rationalization or excuse for this offense, with these players, to be this completely inept. The situational incompetence, schematic / personnel mismanagement and complete lack of urgency to play to win the game is beyond comprehension from any one holding themselves out to be a coach at the NCAA level. It's reared it's head numerous times over the years but has been approaching the norm over the last three.

At least a house cleaning would offer some justification for zero expectations. Even then, I'd still be more optimistic with a completely new staff than I am with the current staff. There is not another coach in all of NCAA college football that would go worse than 6-6 with this team, against this schedule, even taking into consideration all the circumstances that occurred this season (injuries, whatever).
After seeing Illinois get two sideline interference penalties and make a slew of totally mistakes (eg illegal number receiving a pass on a conversion attempt) I think the current staff at Illinois is way worse than ours.

What it boils down to is that over the past few years the caliber of coaching in much of the rest of the conference has improved, but ours has stayed the same and in some cases regressed (Davis), hence we get blown out by the likes of PSU and Michigan and are losing to the traditional doormats, too.

Agreed on Davis. The OL injuries were not his fault, and that definitely hurt things. But I still hate the overall scheme and not even looking downfield, guys consistently running routes short of the sticks on 3rd and 4th down, etc. Or the inability to get plays in quicker when you're behind with under 2 minutes to go in the 4th.

KOK's offense may not have been effective as we want and the 2-minute offense was still lacking to say the least, but at least it appeared they were at least trying for bigger gains at times. And some years, the Hawks did have good or decent offenses (2002, 2005, 2008 come to mind).

Good summary. And let's not forget, even in years where the offense wasn't a bunch of world beaters, when we had the right mix on defense (e.g. 2003, 2004 and 2009) the offense was competent enough to keep games close and let the defense win them for us. Even in 2010 the offense wasn't too bad, but the minor personnel changes on defense and the Clayborn injury really stymied the defense and we ended up with a bad season that really made fans hate O'Keefe and the rest of the staff. Of course, a valid criticism was the lack of a 2 minute offense that season and we were certainly spoiled by the MSU game in 2009 and we thought that would become a staple going forward.

honestly...I have a hard time watching this offense even if we were connecting on the short passes. I know it's a safe, high percentage, move the chains type of offense, but you have to quick athletes that can make people miss on the outside to run it. We don't. In the last three games, opposing linebackers barely made a drop step when they read pass...they didn't have to, everything was still happening in front of them. These routes don't help your running game much either as everyone is on the freaking line of scrimmage and without the seam routes or the occasional corner route from the TE's, if you are an LB, why take a few steps back. Again, CJ makes a great catch on the up route...but did we run it again? I didn't see it. I'm not buying it that KMM and KD don't have enough speed to get by anyone or get teams to respect our ability to throw down field. McNutt wasn't much faster than these guys. We NEVER tried to throw deep. We NEVER ran the flee flicker again.

I'm convinced GD is an idiot. You can't run the same crap all day, then game after game and NEVER change.

Latest posts