Iowa's complete failure of an offense this year

After seeing Illinois get two sideline interference penalties and make a slew of totally mistakes (eg illegal number receiving a pass on a conversion attempt) I think the current staff at Illinois is way worse than ours.

What it boils down to is that over the past few years the caliber of coaching in much of the rest of the conference has improved, but ours has stayed the same and in some cases regressed (Davis), hence we get blown out by the likes of PSU and Michigan and are losing to the traditional doormats, too.

And it sounds like the Illinois staff is done.

honestly...I have a hard time watching this offense even if we were connecting on the short passes. I know it's a safe, high percentage, move the chains type of offense, but you have to quick athletes that can make people miss on the outside to run it. We don't. In the last three games, opposing linebackers barely made a drop step when they read pass...they didn't have to, everything was still happening in front of them. These routes don't help your running game much either as everyone is on the freaking line of scrimmage and without the seam routes or the occasional corner route from the TE's, if you are an LB, why take a few steps back. Again, CJ makes a great catch on the up route...but did we run it again? I didn't see it. I'm not buying it that KMM and KD don't have enough speed to get by anyone or get teams to respect our ability to throw down field. McNutt wasn't much faster than these guys. We NEVER tried to throw deep. We NEVER ran the flee flicker again.

I'm convinced GD is an idiot. You can't run the same crap all day, then game after game and NEVER change.

Like, with the caveat I wouldn't characterize this as a safe high percentage offense. Once you add the independent reads with a college QB and college WRs, it ceases to be high percentage. When Bill Walsh conceived its predecessor and ran it with Joe Montana and a great WR corps, LBs were exclusively run stoppers and d-linemen were used to pass rushing against deep drop backs, it was a very high percentage and effective offense. Now, d-linemen are very skilled at rushing the quick drop and taking away passing lanes and LBs are very skilled at covering that short passing game. Plus, when you throw it 3 yards on 3rd and 4 or 5 and the LBs or DBs are draping the receiver, unless you have an absolute stud catching the ball, you are very unlikely to convert and failing to convert is very unsafe because then you expose your defense again.

The macro strategy is fine with me and I like the pro set we use, but to run it effectively we need to get materially better line play consistently (see Wisconsin) and we need to utilize a lot more misdirection and stretch the field to keep defenses honest.

And it sounds like the Illinois staff is done.

Even Beckman? Sounds like Illinois could be on the hook for two buyouts if that is true. Illinois is precisely what we could become with one bad hire OR if we let Ferentz stagnate the program. A good year next year and in 2014 are imperative at this point because I shudder to think of recruiting quality with a truly lame duck Ferentz.

Dan Bernstein ‏@dan_bernstein
Chatter increasing that Tim Beckman is done at #Illinois. Give Bobby Petrino whatever he wants, including the blonde on the motorcycle.

gifki_06.gif

honestly...I have a hard time watching this offense even if we were connecting on the short passes. I know it's a safe, high percentage, move the chains type of offense, but you have to quick athletes that can make people miss on the outside to run it. We don't. In the last three games, opposing linebackers barely made a drop step when they read pass...they didn't have to, everything was still happening in front of them. These routes don't help your running game much either as everyone is on the freaking line of scrimmage and without the seam routes or the occasional corner route from the TE's, if you are an LB, why take a few steps back.

Great point.

Again, CJ makes a great catch on the up route...but did we run it again? I didn't see it. I'm not buying it that KMM and KD don't have enough speed to get by anyone or get teams to respect our ability to throw down field. McNutt wasn't much faster than these guys. We NEVER tried to throw deep. We NEVER ran the flee flicker again.

I'm convinced GD is an idiot. You can't run the same crap all day, then game after game and NEVER change.

The weird thing is we WERE absolutely sending targets deep in the first 6 games or so, and they were getting open. And not infrequently, either. Check gamefilm's analysis. JVB just couldn't or wouldn't target them.

Like. Fitting that this was in a thread re Illinois. The guy who introduced me to the boards was an Illini so the first board I ever joined (and got banned from) was the old Illini board. One day back in the really dark days of Illini football, I decided to troll a game thread and they showed a shot of this land whale of a cheerleader who was about as large and graceful as that gal and I got everyone riled up with a "did you guys see that land whale" rant. Turned out she was the daughter of some tool with like 10k posts there and he didn't take too kindly to my rant or subsequent posts about how fat his wife must have been and I got the dreaded perma ban over there, after which I found Mr. Millers board (from which I was also perma banned). Memories.

Like. Fitting that this was in a thread re Illinois. The guy who introduced me to the boards was an Illini so the first board I ever joined (and got banned from) was the old Illini board. One day back in the really dark days of Illini football, I decided to troll a game thread and they showed a shot of this land whale of a cheerleader who was about as large and graceful as that gal and I got everyone riled up with a "did you guys see that land whale" rant. Turned out she was the daughter of some tool with like 10k posts there and he didn't take too kindly to my rant or subsequent posts about how fat his wife must have been and I got the dreaded perma ban over there, after which I found Mr. Millers board (from which I was also perma banned). Memories.

I am always enthralled when you road-trip down fora Memory Lane.

PASSING YARDS

102nd
Overall

RUSHING YARDS

105th
Overall

POINTS FOR

114th

no more needs to be said.

KOK doesn't look so bad now does he...hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

I am not saying KOK was a wonderkin or anything, but my gosh how much people couldn't stand him and the offense...was it ever ranked that poorly under KOK?

It is just funny to me to see people thinking KOK maybe wasn't so bad now...hindsight is 20/20...Iowa needs a Staff change, not an OC change.

KOK doesn't look so bad now does he...hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

I am not saying KOK was a wonderkin or anything, but my gosh how much people couldn't stand him and the offense...was it ever ranked that poorly under KOK?

It is just funny to me to see people thinking KOK maybe wasn't so bad now...hindsight is 20/20...Iowa needs a Staff change, not an OC change.

Agreed, the offense was rarely in the top half under O'Keefe, but it generally got the job done well enough to at least get us to a bowl game and when we had a good defense to lean on, it was plenty adequate to give us a good record. O'Keefe could have done some things better, but by God, this season demonstrated that O'Keefe was a decent guy for our team.

The Dark Days of Illini football? You mean like now?

Agreed, the offense was rarely in the top half under O'Keefe, but it generally got the job done well enough to at least get us to a bowl game and when we had a good defense to lean on, it was plenty adequate to give us a good record. O'Keefe could have done some things better, but by God, this season demonstrated that O'Keefe was a decent guy for our team.

I wasn't really complimenting KOK, he was terrible, but just funny everyone screamed for his removal, but it got worse: hence, overall Staff change is needed.

Just because it went south, when none of us thought there was room south of where we were under KOK, doesn't mean we should rejoice in the ineptitude of KOK offenisive play calling. It just means KF hasn't caught up with modern college football yet. And there are $20M reasons why he doesn't have to catch up with modern offensive football. Nice job Bary Garta!

So like what losing 15 of your last 20 isn't dark...and the Frightening Illini are losing by 30+ a game isn't dark? Hmm you must buy in to the KF Contract for Life group.

So like what losing 15 of your last 20 isn't dark...and the Frightening Illini are losing by 30+ a game isn't dark? Hmm you must buy in to the KF Contract for Life group.
It ain't as dark as it was, brah. Trust me. It ain't good, but give this two more years and it will be truly dark for them again.

Wow in a WILD surprise Auburn fires Chizek 2 years after a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!! Hear that olddude and the other idiots on here that expect us to continue paying top salary and top dollar for abject mediocrity. Hell Auburn finished 1 game worse than we did and we aren't 2 years removed from a National championship by any stretch hell we aren't 2 years removed from a Leader's Division championship and we continue to be pleased with KF. When did we look forward to failure?

Latest posts