Iowa's chances at Nationals

My prediction is PSU has three in the finals. As much as it kills me to say this
I'm saying it goes PSU, Iowa, Cornell, okie st.

Long, Molinaro, Taylor, Ruth, Wright, Wade are all possible finalist, out of that group you say three make it to the finals. I think you could be right. Funny thing is that I think Wright might actually be one of them with the best odds, 184 is an absolute crap shoot I think. That also means that Gambral could pull a Marion from last year, wrestle his best tournament of the year next weekend and end up in the finals.

Not trying to stir it up, but in high school you get 2 points for advancing on the winners side and 1 pt for the losers side. In college you just get 2 and 1/2 respectively. This would change your totals a lot, albeit maybe the same amount for everyone. Just thought I would try to help.

You are correct, I was even using the high school placement points as well. At any rate it is going to be a dog fight for the top 4 teams.

Which other 2 besides Taylor?

I agree w/ CRWrestling on this one. I could see Long and Ruth both in the finals. Can't even count out Molinaro. I don't think Wade will make it, but if he gets going he'll be tough to beat. If you have 5 B1G Ten champs there's a pretty good chance they'll make a run at it.

Iowa will need McDonough to be the leader and win the title and score bonus points along the way. The other key will be they will need someone to make an unexpected run to the finals...I'm thinking Luke Lofthouse or Ramos are the best possibilities

This should be a great team race

Youv'e got me all messed up here, hawkeyescott. I think your awarded, 1 point advancement championship round.

Championship side (front side) advancement: 1 pt
Consolation side (back side) advancement: 0.5 pt

Placement points
1st - 16 pts
2nd - 12 pts
3rd - 10 pts
4th - 9 pts
5th - 7 pts
6th - 6 pts
7th - 4 pts
8th - 3 pts

Each Fall, Forfeit, Default, Disqualification - 2 pts
Tech Fall (w/ near fall) - 1 1/2 pts
Tech Fall (w/o near fall) - 1 pt
Major Decision - 1 pt

Youv'e got me all messed up here, hawkeyescott. I think your awarded, 1 point advancement championship round.

I have myself all messed up. But yes it is 1 point and 1/2 a point, so let me take another stab at it (this won't happen as this tournament will have upsets galore).

PSU: 74
Cornell: 71
Iowa: 69.5
Okla St: 67.5

This thing is so wide open this year that the difference is going to be just 1 guy wrestling above seed to put a team over the top or 1 guy below his seed to take his team out of it and bonus points are going to be huge.

My bad guys. I said "just 2" and it meant to say just 1. One point on the winners side and 1/2 point on the losers. This is probably somewhere on another post by now, just correcting to make sure.

this hawkeye wrestling team can win this. I for one have said all year i didn't think we were a good tourney team. They proved me wrong at the big 10's. I agree with other posts that we are going to have to have some special things happen from guys that didn't live up to what we thought they would at the big 10's. MM has to get it done and make the finals. Ramos needs to continue to shine and maybe brighter than ever next weekend. McD, DSJ, Uncle Luke, Raising, & Janssen all need big thursday's that turn into spectacular fridays and so on. Eathen just needs to continue to wrestle hard and his tourney will be fine and will score points. Head to head match up's are critcal for Iowa this year. I'd say more so than any other year that i can remember. My gut feeling is like most everyone here, the team race is between Cornel and PSU (Pathetic Stalling University), and it make me sick to see it that way. But as coach Tom says, if we wrestle the way we are capable and win championships, the team race will take care of itself. GO HAWKS!!

PSU is definitly the front runner in my mind. Iowa will have to wrestle very well seeing a few of their seeds, and what side of the bracket they're on. The commitee did not do Iowa many favors in my oppinion. They way I see it we will need the following to happen.........
1st-Mcdonough
4th-5th -Ramos
1st-2nd- Marion
4th-5th- St. John
6th-8th Jannsen
6th-8th E. Loft
6th-8th Gambrall
4th-6th Loft
4th-8th Rasing

So as you can see.....we need all to become AA's. Unfortunately, I think the higher place I have is best case scenario for those wrestlers. That being said, if they can pull something like that off they'll be tough to beat........even by PSU.

I still don't believe penn st. will win this. My belief is based on how other cael teams have prefomed in the past at nationals. The HAWKS have a similar start to this tournament as last year's nationals. And built off that momentum I think we have a good shot at making it 4 in a row.

I still don't believe penn st. will win this. My belief is based on how other cael teams have prefomed in the past at nationals. The HAWKS have a similar start to this tournament as last year's nationals. And built off that momentum I think we have a good shot at making it 4 in a row.

I agree with you on this Piper. Cael was an Outstanding Wrestler in College and one of the best, if not the best. However, when it comes to coaching it's a whole different ballgame. From what I have gathered he's not a very good motivator and he does not connect well with his athletes. Cael and his brother's coaching philosophy has been known to create division amongst his wrestlers. It would not surprise me to see some of his wrestlers transfer from PSU in the coming years.

Ok guys here's some thoughts for you.

McDonough should get no worse than 3rd but I think he wins it and scores a lot of bonus pts. for us. Pataky will NOT be a AA he'll be lucky to make the rd. of 12.

Ramos, well I have been pretty hard on him all season and the last month he has really opened my eyes!!!! Look for him to be in that 3rd to 5th range. I honestly think Long beats him for 3rd and Tony takes 4th.

Marion is in the deepest weight class out there. I don't know what to expect here. He is one of those wrestlers that could get on a roll and win it or get 5th. I think he struggles with Kennedy and he ends up 4th or 5th. Alton should end up 7th due to pretty lucky draw.

Molinaro is so boring but he finds ways to win. I think he loses to LeValley in the semis and ends up 3rd. No points for the Hawks here.

DSJ and his BAD draw! Honestly the top 3 wrestlers are in the bottom half of that bracket. But right now I have DSJ getting 3rd and Taylor winning it. DSJ showed he can beat him just not quite yet.

Jans is wrestling pretty well right now. I would have really liked to see him wrestle Sponseller from tosu but I think he is good enough for that 6th to 8th range. No points for psu here either.

Ethan is wrestling GREAT lately but due to a terrible draw probably the worst on both sides I think he only makes the rd. of 12. As for Ruth I have him getting to semis and losing to Lewnes. Ruth gets 3rd

Gambrall is a bit undersized in my opinion and will struggle. 3-2 for Grant. As for the snake(Wright) I thinks he beats Honeycutt and loses to Rutt and then gets about 4th or 5th

Luuuuuuuuuke has a decent draw and honestly can make the finals with a little bit of luck if he gets to Simaz I think he could beat him. But the champ should come off the bottom half of the bracket anyways. I have him at 4th right now. NO pts for psu

RAZOR is on a mission. Laugh now but I have him in the finals against Rey/Russo winner and its quite possible he wins the whole thing!!!! Like I said laugh all you want but just remember I said it first. Wade looked horrible at the big ten tourny and I think he only makes rd of 12.

The teams I am most worried about are:
1. Cornell
2. Wisconsin/psu
4. Oky St.

Just some food for thought Wisconsin could easily have finalist at 165,184 and 197 with hwt having a strong arguement for a AA and at 133 Graff will AA at worst 5th.

Last edited:
We need strong performance at the lower weights and ST John and need 184, Hvy wgt, and need 197 and we need to get some help with PSU and Cornell getting some upsets. I think we have about a 25% shot of winning the title.

Latest posts