Iowa's Big Ten Standing

bcl20

We are .5 games out of 5th place in the conference with every remaining game being winnable. Finishing in the top half of the conference is very possible.

It's be crazy if we did happen to finish 5th because we would be in the top half of the best conference in the country and I don't see any way we'd make the tournament.

Would love to sweep Wisconsin on Thursday (would be a great bday present for me too!). Then who knows what we get @ Illinois. @ Nebraska is a payback game and very winnable. Then Sr day against NW. Very possible we get these last 4.

I do wonder if we hypothetically won out (we could but I wouldn't bet on it) if the committee would consider us. I could see us being considered but then again we have 4 awful losses.

Every game left in the regular season is winnable for Iowa. Problem is we never know which Iowa team is going to show up. Is it the team that beat Indiana, Michigan, @Wisconsin, and Minnesota twice or is it the team that lost at Penn State, Nebraska, and Indiana giving up 103 points?

Every game left in the regular season is winnable for Iowa. Problem is we never know which Iowa team is going to show up. Is it the team that beat Indiana, Michigan, @Wisconsin, and Minnesota twice or is it the team that lost at Penn State, Nebraska, and Indiana giving up 103 points?

And this is why we probably go 2-2. But that would guarantee a .500 overall record (even with a 1st round loss in the BTT) and I would take that.

We'd have to win two more in the BTT to have a chance. 20-14 5th in the BIG might get us in.

I agree with this. Finishing 5th in the league would be great, but I don't see Iowa getting selected on that alone. The committee has made it clear that it is more about the body of work than it is your conference record. Iowa would get jumped by teams under them in the conference imo.

Our RPI is going to have to jump about 50-60 places if we want to even be considered. I don't even know if winning out would have that big an increase.

Hypothetically speaking...

Let's just say Iowa wins out. They move to 18-13, 10-8. That in itself would put them on the bubble. Tough to put them in with their RPI and their atrocious Non conf

Those of you trying to figure out if we can make it to the tournament are thinking to hard, because the only way for that to happen is to win the BTT.

NIT would be nice.

You guys realize every time we start talking about the tournament Iowa goes on a 2 game losing streak?

I'm not even trying to figure out how they get there. I just think it's a very weird scenario to have a team who had such a crappy non-conference and lost to bad teams in conference but could still finish in the top half of what is the statistically best conference in the country.

I do wonder if we hypothetically won out (we could but I wouldn't bet on it) if the committee would consider us. I could see us being considered but then again we have 4 awful losses.

Iowa has to win the Big Ten Tournament to get that bid. However your right bcl20 because if this team took care of business against teams we could and should have beat, Iowa would clearly be in the discussion for the dance.

Games like this today make me more angry, because the talent is there IMO.

I am just excited they have a chance at finishing .500. If that happens I hope some tournament picks Iowa to play in it. I think it would be a real nice gift for Gatens to go out as a Hawk.

You guys realize every time we start talking about the tournament Iowa goes on a 2 game losing streak?

It's an endless cycle. We win a game or two -> We have tournament conversations -> We lose two games -> tournament talk goes away -> We win a game or two -> tournament conversations come up again -> then we lose some more -> and so on and so forth.

tourney talk will increase if Iowa can win the 2 games on the road, otherwise we should be able to talk about a winning record, and after 4 years of not doing so, it will be a great way to end this season and Fran's 2nd season.

I am hoping they just win their games, and let the chips fall where they may. Yes all the games are winnable. It does depend on which iowa team shows up to play.

Wisc. is wisc. Iowa always plays them close.
Ill. is not playing well right now, but seems to ratch it up against us.
Nebby is playing well right now. Sure wish iowa would have not let that game get away from them.
NW, another team that gets itself up for iowa.

these games are all winnable. all losable, if that is even a word. So 2-2 sounds good to me. its a winning record.

they say if the big ten tourney started today iowa minny would play the 8-9. the winner gets the 1st place team msu. it be hard to beat minny a 3rd time.

i will take any post season tourney iowa can get into this year.

Last edited:
Overall winning record would be a tremendous accomplishment for this team. There were some talking after the loss to Campbell that we would be lucky to win a B1G game. Hopefully we can get in the the NIT if we win 4 more games.

Latest posts