Iowa's Big Ten Standing

3-6 vs. RPI top 50.

It is amazing what 2 bad losses at home have done to this team.
Beat Campbell and Clemson and we are 16-11 and in the same position as Northwestern.

That record against RPI top 50 could get better as Minnesota is ranked #66 with upcoming home games against MSU & Indiana.

I'm not even thinking of NCAA Tournament. I'm of the mindset that we will have to win the BTT to get in. But I am really hoping for SOME sort of post-season play, mostly for Matt Gatens' sake. I'd love to see that kid get a taste of the post-season at least once in his Hawkeye career.

Myself, I'll consider this season a nice success if this team can finish even 1 game above .500, and get to 6th or 7th in the league.

I personally think we'll lose at least 2 of these final 4 games, but I'm wondering more and more if we can get the W @Illinois. It seems pretty obvious that team has mailed it in.

Or throw in 2 bad losses Iowa actually had a chance to win (Clemson/Campbell weren't close) at PSU and at home Nebraska and they are 16-11 but 8-6 in B1G instead of 6-8 - BETTER than Northwestern and Indiana.

That is true Ryno, the Penn State & Nebraska losses hurt more than Campbell and Clemson. Iowa was owned in the Campbell game and they could not make a shot to save their life against Clemson. Plus I will take conference wins over OOC wins any day.

But nothing can be done about the past. At least Iowa is getting competitive again. I feel this team can beat anybody or lose to anybody on any given day. As the talent gets better those losses should turn into wins.

I think that overall (unless they lose all four remaining games and lose 1st round of the BTT) that progress has been made which is the main thing I was looking for. It has been a big rollercoaster with the incredible high of the back to back wins over Wisc and Minn on the road and then the lows of Campbell and the home loss to Nebraska.

You can't get to caught up in the game to game and take more of a global look. Compared to last year it is a big step in the right direction. Right now I am really hoping for the NIT. It would probably take 3 more wins to do it (2-2 with one in the BTT). This would give the young guys some tournament experience and give Matt at least one postseason chance. Penn State in 2009 used the NIT to propel them into the NCAA in 2010.

We are .5 games out of 5th place in the conference with every remaining game being winnable. Finishing in the top half of the conference is very possible.

It's be crazy if we did happen to finish 5th because we would be in the top half of the best conference in the country and I don't see any way we'd make the tournament.

Actually, we are a full game out from being tied for 6th.

The committee would look at our last 10 games. Assuming we go 3-1 over the final 4 regular season that would put us at 6-4 over the final stretch (Losses to IU, NW, PSU and Wisky).

imo we still have a fighting chance at the NCAA tournament albeit a slim chance. We must sweep the final 4 games and finish in the top half. We would then have to win our first round game in the tournament as a 5 or 6 seed.

The committee would look at our last 10 games. Assuming we go 3-1 over the final 4 regular season that would put us at 6-4 over the final stretch (Losses to IU, NW, PSU and Wisky).

imo we still have a fighting chance at the NCAA tournament albeit a slim chance. We must sweep the final 4 games and finish in the top half. We would then have to win our first round game in the tournament as a 5 or 6 seed.

Throw out the IU loss and throw in the first BTT game.

Wouldnt our BTT games be considered part of our last 10 games?

Two games in the loss column behind Wisconsin for 4th now and one of their games is a road game against Ohio State. :)

Last edited:
and turn the losses to IU and Wiscy into wins, they are now 4-2 the 2nd half of the BT, and there are 2 wins over Top 25 teams and sweeps of both Minnesota and Wiscy, but they still have to win on the road at Illinois and Nebby, go Hawks up next is Illinois

Latest posts