Iowa's bench

InGoodCo

Coming into this season depth was a major concern and I still feel like it is... but some perspective - Last season Iowa had only 1 player coming off the bench to average 5 or more points, this season they already have 3 in Uhl, Baer and Ellingson ... technically they had 4 with Dale Jones as well. So, I think the depth for this squad is building and while we may lack in size we aren't lacking in points or production and our bench is actually deeper and much more versatile in some regards this year, which was a major question heading into this season.

Iowa fans don't want to buy in but as of now, this year's team is considerably better than last year's team was at this time. I saw a stat that they put up 23 points in 5 minutes last night. This year's team probably has more room for improvement throughout the year than last year's team did.

Iowa fans don't want to buy in but as of now, this year's team is considerably better than last year's team was at this time. I saw a stat that they put up 23 points in 5 minutes last night. This year's team probably has more room for improvement throughout the year than last year's team did.

Just check the RPI. Being able to make 3's makes the offensive side of the game so much easier. Iowa has shown the ability to do this against good competition already this year. Having Uhl continue to develop throughout the year would be a big lift. If he can become a guy that can regularly put up double figures off the bench Iowa could finish in the upper quarter of the conference as there is a big drop off after the top three teams in the B10.

Jok and JU both averaging about 6 pts more per game than last season, team is shooting overwhelmingly better from the field and from 3 this season as well. I just feel like no one is buying into how good this team is and can be. I am excited that conference play is finally here.

Uthoff can be either a lottery pick or play in europe, it's up to him if he wants to make this "his" team or not. I don't know if he has it in him. We've seen flashes and we've seen him disappear all in the course of one game.

If it wasn't obvious before the last two games, Baer to be the first guy off the bench and get 20+ minutes per game. His attitude should be one the rest of the team has "play as hard as you can the whole time you're out there".

as of right now, this team feels like a 10-8 team in the big 10 and an 7-9 seed in the tourney. no bad losses but no standout wins either. ISU would have been a really nice win had Iowa not imploded.

Uthoff can be either a lottery pick or play in europe, it's up to him if he wants to make this "his" team or not. I don't know if he has it in him. We've seen flashes and we've seen him disappear all in the course of one game.

If it wasn't obvious before the last two games, Baer to be the first guy off the bench and get 20+ minutes per game. His attitude should be one the rest of the team has "play as hard as you can the whole time you're out there".

as of right now, this team feels like a 10-8 team in the big 10 and an 7-9 seed in the tourney. no bad losses but no standout wins either. ISU would have been a really nice win had Iowa not imploded.

with 5 games in the next month against top 15 teams and 2 of those being at home, I don't know that I would completely count out any stand out wins.

this team is also allowing fewer than 10 turnovers a game this season, down almost 1 a game from last year.

I don't think Uthoff disappears. I think he plays within the flow of the game. Some games he has to take over. Other games his teammates are playing well...which gives them more confidence moving forward. I think Uthoff will take over when it is necessary.

If no one else gets injured I think 10-8 is this team's floor. I still like the 12-6 prediction I made last March.

I feel this team will go as far as Gesell takes them. It would be nice if when Gesell is off his game that Clemons would take over but it seems they both are off in the same game.

Last edited:
I don't think Uthoff disappears. I think he plays within the flow of the game. Some games he has to take over. Other games his teammates are playing well...which gives them more confidence moving forward. I think Uthoff will take over when it is necessary.

If no one else gets injured I think 10-8 is this team's floor. I still like the 12-6 prediction I made last March.

Like the last ten minutes of the ISU game? Uthoff has been great this year and is much more aggressive than previous years but he wanted nothing to do with the ball down the stretch of the game in Ames.

Like the last ten minutes of the ISU game? Uthoff has been great this year and is much more aggressive than previous years but he wanted nothing to do with the ball down the stretch of the game in Ames.

He got and took a great shot to win it all, it didn't go in. He wanted the ball... he wanted that shot.. it was a good shot.

He was double teamed in the 2nd half and ISU was denying him access to the ball... some might call that a good defensive adjustment on a guy who absolutely dismantled them in the first half. JU has played clutch for Iowa in several key games through out his career and I can hardly think of times he "disappears"...

I feel this team will go as far as Gesell takes them. It would be nice if when Gesell is off his game that Clemons would take over but it seems they both are off in the same game.

Most of the seniors on this team have yet to step up and show what a senior in the B1G is about. Leadership and consistency. Uthoff has shown it at times but as a group it's not getting done. We are now approaching their last run in the B1G and if there ever was a time to step up it is now or never. I am not one to call players out but to say I am dissapointed is an understatement. The juniors don't get no free ride here either. By your Junior year you should have it together with the exception given due to injuries. This team has had ENORMOUS amounts of playing time collectively over the years and now it's time to bring it.

Most of the seniors on this team have yet to step up and show what a senior in the B1G is about. Leadership and consistency. Uthoff has shown it at times but as a group it's not getting done. We are now approaching their last run in the B1G and if there ever was a time to step up it is now or never. I am not one to call players out but to say I am dissapointed is an understatement. The juniors don't get no free ride here either. By your Junior year you should have it together with the exception given due to injuries. This team has had ENORMOUS amounts of playing time collectively over the years and now it's time to bring it.

where is this narrative coming from? Iowa is better in nearly every category this season over last up to this point, has a better Non Con record over a harder schedule, a higher RPI, more wins against the top 150, a deeper bench and has 2 prolific scorers who have 2 very different types of games, and somehow this group is not getting it done?

I get it, they blew a shot at a big win, but let's not get it twisted.

Not true. He was being double teamed and mugged throughout. At the end when we needed someone to take the big shot he took it. He didn't make it but most definitely did not hesitate or look to get rid of the ball.

Not true. He was being double teamed and mugged throughout. At the end when we needed someone to take the big shot he took it. He didn't make it but most definitely did not hesitate or look to get rid of the ball.

I saw the same thing. He was getting roughed up pretty good by Thomas and they usually had a shadow looking for him as well. Of course, when one watches the game, if one only watches the ball it doesn't get noticed. What gets noticed is that Uthoff didn't score in the second half. It was a move that Hoiberg never would have done - tell someone to play defense - but Prohm did.

Totally agree. I just have the feeling that this team just needs to get a big win or two to get them started. They are 9-3 and, with the possible exception of the Marquette game, they really haven't played an entire game at a high level yet. This needs to change as of Tuesday.

Last edited:

Id say it's way beyond flashes. We've seen sustained stretches of excellence which makes it even more frustrating when he will go long periods without attempting shots.

Id say it's way beyond flashes. We've seen sustained stretches of excellence which makes it even more frustrating when he will go long periods without attempting shots.

Its quite simple really... When no one else is stepping up. U double team/ shadow Utoff and force the rest of the team to beat you. Nobody else has proven they can consistently step up their game. We've only had flashes from Jok and MG. it'll be interesting to see if Baer can maintain this pace. IMO it'll take someone on the bench to make a move. None of the other starting 4 seem able to do much when the heat is on... that could change but don't see any evidence that provides much confidence in that happening.

Last edited:
Its quite simple really... When no one else is stepping up. U double team/ shadow Utoff and force the rest of the team to beat you. Nobody else has proven they can consistently step up their game. We've only had flashes from Jok and MG. it'll be interesting to see if Baer can maintain this pace. IMO it'll take someone on the bench to make a move. None of the other starting 4 seem unable to do much when the heat is on... that could change but don't see any evidence that provides much confidence in that happening.

We need to find a consistent 3rd scorer. You double JU and Jok can be guarded by the level of athlete in the B1G. I am really hoping that Baer and Ellingson can be that "3rd" scorer. We need that third option on the floor to prevent JU from being doubled. Baer is getting close to that, IMO. Ellingson has some work to do to get there. Losing Jones really hurt us as he was emerging as that guy.

Latest posts