Iowa/Wisconsin Game Thread

200w_s.gif

I wasn't able to watch but the box score indicates that free throws were instrumental in the win. WI was 19 of 28 and Iowa was 24 of 30. The Iowa bench matched the 11 points of the WI bench. This hasn't been the case in the losses. Iowa shot 30 of 57 for a 52.6% rate on FG's. WI shot 30 of 63 for a 47.6% rate. WI was better on the 3 pt strip making 7 of 16 vs Iowa's 4 of 14. Iowa out rebounded WI by 3. For once Freeman didn't foul out.

Best win of the season.

I wasn't able to watch but the box score indicates that free throws were instrumental in the win. WI was 19 of 28 and Iowa was 24 of 30. The Iowa bench matched the 11 points of the WI bench. This hasn't been the case in the losses. Iowa shot 30 of 57 for a 52.6% rate on FG's. WI shot 30 of 63 for a 47.6% rate. WI was better on the 3 pt strip making 7 of 16 vs Iowa's 4 of 14. Iowa out rebounded WI by 3. For once Freeman didn't foul out.

Best win of the season.
Yeah, at one point during the last 2 min of regulation, the Badgers missed 3 of 5 FTs. Ouch. I was REAL nervous when WI got into the Bonus so early in the 2nd half, but then on a couple possessions they committed multiple fouls which got the FT situation balanced in the 2nd half...but man, that was a freakin' FT contest the last 10 min. 58 total FTs in the game? Whoa. Kudos to the Hawks, tho, for not settling for jumpers down the stretch. WI is one of the few teams Iowa can say they are 'more athletic' than, so keep drivin' the rock!

I hope we can enjoy this win. It may be tough to get many more.
View attachment 10709
It was 1 of 2 remaining that are realistic chances for wins. The other being Penn St at home. All others are expected / most likely losses.

Hawks had to win this to keep any postseason (NIT) hopes alive. Even that will require going at least 1-1 in BTT to finish 17-16. Not sure if 17-16 will be good enough to even make NIT but maybe slide in as a 6 or 7 seed due to the P-5 effect.

It was 1 of 2 remaining that are realistic chances for wins. The other being Penn St at home. All others are expected / most likely losses.

Hawks had to win this to keep any postseason (NIT) hopes alive. Even that will require going at least 1-1 in BTT to finish 17-16. Not sure if 17-16 will be good enough to even make NIT but maybe slide in as a 6 or 7 seed due to the P-5 effect.
I agree we will be underdogs on 4 of the 5 remaining games. But all but @Illinois are doable.

Net Rankings as of today goes as follows:

Purdue 2
Illinois 12
Michigan St. 20
Wisconsin 22
Nebraska 50
Northwestern 59
Iowa 66
Ohio St. 72
Maryland 75
Minnesota 82
Rutgers 84

Currently, the B1G is projected to get six teams into the tournament.

The NIT will take TWO teams with the highest NET ranking from each of the six major conferences that didn’t make the tournament.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are hosting Drake or Indiana St. at Carver in an opening round NIT game.

Sidenote: Not sure if the Seton Hall and Nebraska victories will turn into Quad1 wins or not and if they do I am not sure how that factors in.

I agree we will be underdogs on 4 of the 5 remaining games. But all but @Illinois are doable.
5-1 their in NCAA
4-2 they need two in the BTT for NCAA
3-3 need to win BTT for NCAA but lock for NIT
2-4 probably still in NIT - need one in BTT

Anything else no postseason imo - Iowa still has 7th highest Net in the conference and that’s not likely to change, so then it depends on how many B1G make it as the top 2 NET that don’t make NCAA get automatically into NIT.

5-1 their in NCAA
4-2 they need two in the BTT for NCAA
3-3 need to win BTT for NCAA but lock for NIT
2-4 probably still in NIT - need one in BTT

Anything else no postseason imo - Iowa still has 7th highest Net in the conference and that’s not likely to change, so then it depends on how many B1G make it as the top 2 NET that don’t make NCAA get automatically into NIT.
If had to guess, looking at the remaining schedule, I'm going to say they finish the regular season
2-4 (I'm being optimistic they knock off Illinois at home)
1-1 in the Big Ten Tournament

Therefore, NIT this year.

If had to guess, looking at the remaining schedule, I'm going to say they finish the regular season
2-4 (I'm being optimistic they knock off Illinois at home)
1-1 in the Big Ten Tournament

Therefore, NIT this year.
I think 2-4 is probably the most likely. Gotta beat Penn State at home and then I think we get one of Illinois at home or a road game against MSU or Northwestern.

I just realized we only have 5 games left. 2-3 is the most likely outcome. I think 3-2 would be a pretty successful season for a rebuild year.

Sandfort had a huge three in the OT when we were down four. If he doesn't make that, we probably lose. If he misses and Wisconsin goes down and converts to go up six or seven we definitely lose