Iowa vs Wisconsin thoughts and opinions

Mademyaccount4u

I still see many people that are worried about the game. Tell me why you're worried and even your predictions.

I personally look at last years game and see that the big difference was the running back as Gordon was the difference in the game. That being said I think that Iowa is better at almost every position compared to last year and Wisconsin looks worse save on defense.

Iowa

Offense: Iowa has what I believe is a better QB, RB and FB (as they were injured and out many games last year) than what they had last year. The receivers, both TE and WR are more experienced and with similar talent to last year. I look at the line as a push as we lost some great tackles, but the interior is really coming into their own, plus they seem to have depth this year which may give them an edge.

Defense: Iowa is better than last year as the D-line seems to be about the same (depending on Ott's health), but the Line-backing core seems to be much improved. The secondary is the strength with King and Mabin looking good.

Special teams: Iowa leads the big ten in punting average (I believe I heard on On Iowa podcast) and Koehn feels like a game changers given his range and consistency 4 of 4 on the year.

Wisconsin: It was painful and hard to do, but I did go to some Wisconsin websites to check on some of this stuff, though don't take it too seriously as I don't really care about Wisconsin that much. (but I believe this is accurate)

Offense: They lost a decent number of guys on the O-line as it looks like Arneson TE, Costigan OG, Lewallen C and Havenstein (drafted in 2nd round) are gone Costigan and Havenstein were First team all B1G. In addition to this there has been some injury issues for the tackles as the RS F and SO that were practicing in the fall had injuries (though I don't know where they sit now. Either way this puts them a little behind.

They no longer have Melvin Gordon, if I have to explain this to you, google him. Gordon had something like 264 of Wisconsin's ~405 yards last year. They also lost Kenzel Doe. Stave looks better, but really not a world beater. The wildcard they have on offense is McEvoy which has played almost every position. In addition to this Clement is out for the game.

Defense: This is what I see as the strength of Wisconsin. Aranda's 3-4 defense gave Iowa problems last year for about a half. They seem to have lost Landisch ILB, Zagzebski DE and Herring DT, though none of them were drafted. They seem to have most of their Defense back which, if I recall correctly, was one of the better defenses in the B1G.

Special Teams: Wisconsin averages 40.7 yards per punt according to BTN.com and their FG kicker is 4 of 7 this year.

Overall I think Iowa has the advantage. They seem to be better on offense with both teams touting a solid defense. Iowa put up 3 points in the first half last year, and I believe Iowa will do better this year given that ISU has a similar defensive setup and the Offense won't be as confused and lost as they were the first half of the ISU game. Iowa should win the field position battle and if they hold on to the ball I see them winning. Iowa actually has the game changers this year.

If that doesn't convince you look at the changes in Pitt this year with Narduzzi. Chryst isn't a very good head coach.

Iowa: 24
Wis: 14

(I actually feel like it might be a bigger margin, but I'm not that insane.)

Gotta be able to run the ball, gotta find a way to get early pressure on Stave (effective blitzing). Gotta win turnover battle.

We do those things...dang good shot.

I think it will be a tough game. I'd suggest a 7 point loss most likely. We need to keep it close and get some turnovers. I think this game is won by team that wins turnover battle. If asked before season if I'd take 4-1 after whisky I'd take it and still would. We can win, but shoukd t go crazy if we don't. Wouldn't be poetic justice if a fake on special teams got us the win at their place? I'd love that

Only worry is that it's a road game. I have watched the WisConnies this year, I think we are better than them and we win in Madison on Saturday. I feel very confident that we get the "W"

If Iowa can protect C.J. and let him do his thing, I like our chances.

I think Iowa will have the motivational edge. More to prove and a built-up revenge factor that's ready to pop like a festering zit.

I also don't see Paul Chryst out-coaching the new Kirk. Chryst looks a little out of place as a head coach to me. He looks like a hog farmer from Bennett (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Go Hawks!

I see hawknick has a new handle.

Honestly, I never had a problem with him much better than a lot of people that are constant pessimists on this site. Yes I'm optimistic, but I have a reason to be optimistic. Is my dislike for Wisconsin fueling some of this? Maybe, but I just feel that Iowa is on the up swing and Wisconsin is leveling off. NW still scares the **** out of me.

Need to look poised and confident in this game. Be the aggressor, be the hunter and not the hunted. If we have an early turnover or give up a couple of sacks, need to be able to shack it off. Can't let their crowd get into our heads.

Wisconsin looked to be pretty straight ahead in the Hawaii game (not flashy, they come right at you pounding the ball). We will need to get good line play on both sides of the ball and tackle well. Need to put pressure on Stave and not let him pick us a part for big gains on 3rd down.

If we can limit the turnovers (and penalties) and execute well this should be a close game that we have a chance to win. Going to need to make our red-zone visits count as Wisconsin has not been giving up a lot of points.

the level of competition definitely goes up this week. Iowa seems focused, confident, and ready for its next challenge.

But Iowa is also a team that was tied with both Iowa State and Pitt late in the 4Q in recent games, so there is still a question how good Iowa can be.

I think Iowa will step it up and pull out a late victory in Madison. Wisc will be good at the end of the year, but they are not there yet under Chryst.

30-24 Iowa. Wisconsin's punter is killed three yards shy of a first down on an attempted fake punt, late in the fourth quarter.

I feel like this is a really good Wisconsin team. I think we will keep it close but what scares me is we are going to be punting a lot and our punt protection is shaky. We will need turnovers to win.

Just have to stop the run and wildcat and then we should be good. Never been too scared of Stave as a passer.

NEEDS / CONCERNS

1) Need Daniels to be healthy - right now he looks very tentative.
2) DLine must contain and do a better job than vs NTSU
3) OTT needs to be more of a force than vs NTSU.

Those things come together and iowa avoids turnovers, they can win. Turnovers nearly cost Iowa the game versus PTT.

Wisc. fans think they'll win

If the hawks can get the early lead and have some good drives to eat clock and take the fans out of it I like their chances. They showed the ability to come back against ISU, which is not wisky, but Trice not always a nice place for iowa.

If the hawks tackle really well I like our chances against their run game and I am sure Ott is chomping at the bit and getting better by the day.

I havent seen much of wisky so not sure about their special teams but Iowa might win that part. No more high snaps on punts which caused that block.

Why so much love for Wisconsin? The only reason to think they are better than us is if you are looking at last year's teams.

I feel good about our chances in this game. The fact that Gordon want be in the Badgers backfield this game, gives me a little more confidence for our boys going into Camp Randall. Go Hawks !

Stave doesn't scare me. The Connie DBs can be beat. I'm worried about our OL protecting CJ. If we are even or better in turnover ratio and limit Connie's pass rush, we win.
Connie managed a pedestrian 268 total yards against Alabama. What's that you say? It IS Alabama???
The very next game, Middle Tennessee State put up 275 total yards on Alabama!!
And Corey Clement was in the line up against Bama. He won't be against Iowa.

If this game were in Kinnick, I would be a lot more confident, but Whisky is not as strong as they were last year. Iowa usually plays them hard and if they do that this Saturday, it's an Iowa win.

Force Stave to pass the ball. Establish the run game early. Get CJ some opportunities and it's all over. As Deace say's; You can't hide your QB in college football. Iowa rolls into Camp Randal with one of the best QB's in the conference. Not to mention one of the best Iowa has had in a long time. I wouldn't put Iowa in the class of Alabama, but they are definitely contenders with anyone this year. Go Hawks!

Latest posts