Iowa vs Wisconsin thoughts and opinions

I still see many people that are worried about the game. Tell me why you're worried and even your predictions.

I personally look at last years game and see that the big difference was the running back as Gordon was the difference in the game. That being said I think that Iowa is better at almost every position compared to last year and Wisconsin looks worse save on defense.

Iowa

Offense: Iowa has what I believe is a better QB, RB and FB (as they were injured and out many games last year) than what they had last year. The receivers, both TE and WR are more experienced and with similar talent to last year. I look at the line as a push as we lost some great tackles, but the interior is really coming into their own, plus they seem to have depth this year which may give them an edge.

Defense: Iowa is better than last year as the D-line seems to be about the same (depending on Ott's health), but the Line-backing core seems to be much improved. The secondary is the strength with King and Mabin looking good.

Special teams: Iowa leads the big ten in punting average (I believe I heard on On Iowa podcast) and Koehn feels like a game changers given his range and consistency 4 of 4 on the year.

Wisconsin: It was painful and hard to do, but I did go to some Wisconsin websites to check on some of this stuff, though don't take it too seriously as I don't really care about Wisconsin that much. (but I believe this is accurate)

Offense: They lost a decent number of guys on the O-line as it looks like Arneson TE, Costigan OG, Lewallen C and Havenstein (drafted in 2nd round) are gone Costigan and Havenstein were First team all B1G. In addition to this there has been some injury issues for the tackles as the RS F and SO that were practicing in the fall had injuries (though I don't know where they sit now. Either way this puts them a little behind.

They no longer have Melvin Gordon, if I have to explain this to you, google him. Gordon had something like 264 of Wisconsin's ~405 yards last year. They also lost Kenzel Doe. Stave looks better, but really not a world beater. The wildcard they have on offense is McEvoy which has played almost every position. In addition to this Clement is out for the game.

Defense: This is what I see as the strength of Wisconsin. Aranda's 3-4 defense gave Iowa problems last year for about a half. They seem to have lost Landisch ILB, Zagzebski DE and Herring DT, though none of them were drafted. They seem to have most of their Defense back which, if I recall correctly, was one of the better defenses in the B1G.

Special Teams: Wisconsin averages 40.7 yards per punt according to BTN.com and their FG kicker is 4 of 7 this year.

Overall I think Iowa has the advantage. They seem to be better on offense with both teams touting a solid defense. Iowa put up 3 points in the first half last year, and I believe Iowa will do better this year given that ISU has a similar defensive setup and the Offense won't be as confused and lost as they were the first half of the ISU game. Iowa should win the field position battle and if they hold on to the ball I see them winning. Iowa actually has the game changers this year.

If that doesn't convince you look at the changes in Pitt this year with Narduzzi. Chryst isn't a very good head coach.

Iowa: 24
Wis: 14

(I actually feel like it might be a bigger margin, but I'm not that insane.)

Iowa needs to generate a pass rush. Stave is not flashy but give him time and he'll make the Hawks pay. BUT Whisky is not as explosive as last year and maybe have some spiders crawling in their heads still from the spanking from Bama. CJ doesn't believe in losing and I'm putting my faith in him. Iowa 24 Whisky 21.

Trust me, I'm just as excited and hopeful as the next fan about this 4-0 start and the new direction that we seem to be heading. However, lets keep the non-conference successes in context. We soundly beat an excellent FCS team, which was a great start but also exactly what a Power 5 team is expected to do. As memory serves, we were either tied with or trailing Iowa State, one of the worst Power 5 teams, for the majority of playing time. Then we had to kick an extremely long last-second field goal to beat a so-so Power 5 team. During our stomping of North Texas we managed to be bit by the turnover-for-points bug. So that being said, I'm approaching this Saturday's away game against a dinged-up and somewhat faded Wisconsin team with cautious optimism. I predicted that we would lose this game a week ago but now I feel a little more (cautiously) confident. I'll go 23-21 Iowa.

I think turnovers and penalties decide this game. Otherwise we are even (as long as Greg Davis keeps calling the games like he has, meaning better than last 3 years). Great test for crowd noise this week and Ames provided the primer for it. Hope the tackles don't get jumpy (or jump around). Another 7 points or less game in my opinion. And I can't go with the Badgers even though my mind says it could go that way. Have to stick with the Hawks by 1 point.

Trust me, I'm just as excited and hopeful as the next fan about this 4-0 start and the new direction that we seem to be heading. However, lets keep the non-conference successes in context. We soundly beat an excellent FCS team, which was a great start but also exactly what a Power 5 team is expected to do. As memory serves, we were either tied with or trailing Iowa State, one of the worst Power 5 teams, for the majority of playing time. Then we had to kick an extremely long last-second field goal to beat a so-so Power 5 team. During our stomping of North Texas we managed to be bit by the turnover-for-points bug. So that being said, I'm approaching this Saturday's away game against a dinged-up and somewhat faded Wisconsin team with cautious optimism. I predicted that we would lose this game a week ago but now I feel a little more (cautiously) confident. I'll go 23-21 Iowa.

People should really try to get it into their heads that ISU isn't one of the worst teams when they play Iowa. Beating them should be comparable to beating Rutgers but it's actually comparable to beating a middle of the pack Big 10 team. I also think Pitt is better than, or at least equal to, Wisconsin. All we have to do is not give them 14 points like we did Pitt and we should be good.

I'm worried because:

1) It's Wisconsin
2) It's at Camp Randall
3) Not sure how good either team is relative to the other based on the season thus far
4) I worry about every game

That said, I'm excited for this game. B1G conference season is upon us, every game is a little more important with each week that passes, and the weather is getting cooler.

My biggest concern is that we are actually facing a good team. Something we haven't done yet this season.

its a toss up. Iowas defense is going to have to win this one, they must get pressure up front. Parker had better be working on some special blitz packages, pressure Stave and Iowa wins this one.

People should really try to get it into their heads that ISU isn't one of the worst teams when they play Iowa. Beating them should be comparable to beating Rutgers but it's actually comparable to beating a middle of the pack Big 10 team. I also think Pitt is better than, or at least equal to, Wisconsin. All we have to do is not give them 14 points like we did Pitt and we should be good.

THIS.

I've read some criticism that the Hawks haven't left the state of Iowa for a game, and the trip to Ames wasn't a true road test. That's a hilarious assumption. Ames is about the worst road game that Iowa will play in any given year. Those ISU fans are delusional, and relentless. It doesn't matter how good ISU really is for the season. Against Iowa, all those 2-stars suddenly play like 4-stars.

Offensively I think this will be CJs coming out party nationally. I really like where he is. He's hitting receivers on the money that lets them run after the catch. I just think he's in total control out there. If running game is half as good as they've been we'll move the ball and put up points. (not to mention King and the difference he's made in the return game)
Defensively I hope we can stuff them on early downs and get pressure on 3rd and longs. Force them out of what they want to do. If we can get up early and not let up would be huge. I have a lot of respect for them but I really think they are ripe for the picking even at their place.

I never dreamed we be 5-0 this year, but that's what I believe we will be. I think they have shown a cohesiveness and chemistry as a team that we obviously have not seen in recent years. Their confidence is and will continue to grow....Wisky or not, I like our chances to go in and get a good solid win. As just said in previous post, possibly a big coming out party to put us back on the map.

I have no idea what will happen in Madison. I can't get draw a bead on this game at all.

But I know this: I'd rather have Beat Hard on my team than have him coming in to play agin me.

Latest posts