Iowa vs SDSU Gameday Thread

It’s not impossible for Iowa to make the tourney but man it just got a lot tougher.

1. Noncon SOS is going to be incredibly soft.

2. In conference SOS is incredibly soft. In conference finish probably won’t matter that much. Iowa finished 10-8 last year. 11-7 probably is an absolute bare minimum and that includes beating the top teams, because Iowa really only plays the top teams at home. Losing to Purdue and MSU for example at home will be really tough because there is no return trip.

3. Iowa absolutely MUST win at Iowa State or VT.

Man, we got Joey f'ing Brackets here. If Iowa finishes top 3 in the B1G, there is 0% chance of them being left out of the field.

Unless their RPI is really bad (which it will be) Top 3 in the BIG is no guarantee with an rpi of 100+ and bad losses. Iowa will have both of those factors working against them.

Unless their RPI is really bad (which it will be) Top 3 in the BIG is no guarantee with an rpi of 100+ and bad losses. Iowa will have both of those factors working against them.

You're not wrong in it doesn't guarantee it, but it's highly unlikely if Iowa were to have a terrific B1G season and finish top 3 that they'd be left out. One thing the committee does look at is how a team plays in conference, how they play down the stretch, the fact that Baer and Connor were out could also be taken into consideration. I get it, Iowa has a big uphill battle to the Dance. It's doubtful they are gonna make it from the looks of it right now, I wouldn't bet on it and certainly sitting here today after this week, I say they're out and have a lot of work to do to get back in. But there isn't 0% chance aside winning the BTT. Come on. That's absolutely ridiculous. If they do finish 3rd in the B1G, that's gonna mean a lot of big RPI wins. They could turn around and beat VT, ISU and CO - have a great B1G season and easily still be in. So, everyone can stop with the seasons over crap.

You're not wrong in it doesn't guarantee it, but it's highly unlikely if Iowa were to have a terrific B1G season and finish top 3 that they'd be left out. One thing the committee does look at is how a team plays in conference, how they play down the stretch, the fact that Baer and Connor were out could also be taken into consideration. I get it, Iowa has a big uphill battle to the Dance. It's doubtful they are gonna make it from the looks of it right now, I wouldn't bet on it and certainly sitting here today after this week, I say they're out and have a lot of work to do to get back in. But there isn't 0% chance aside winning the BTT. Come on. That's absolutely ridiculous. If they do finish 3rd in the B1G, that's gonna mean a lot of big RPI wins. They could turn around and beat VT, ISU and CO - have a great B1G season and easily still be in. So, everyone can stop with the seasons over crap.
I mean this sincerely, I'm glad you decided to stick around. We need someone around here to share the other side of the coin. People, especially me, get a bit unreasonable after terrible losses. With all that said, I am still going to respectfully disagree with you. I understand your points, I just don't think the guys we have can make a run through a long B1G schedule and end in the top half of the conference. And I have my doubts about Fran's game day coaching ability. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the team, I just don't think we are very good this year.

Ok, you win. Iowa has a .000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of getting an NCAA tourney bid. I will say that an 11-7, 3rd place finish will not guarantee Iowa a berth with their pathetic non-conference SOS and bad losses.

I mean this sincerely, I'm glad you decided to stick around. We need someone around here to share the other side of the coin. People, especially me, get a bit unreasonable after terrible losses. With all that said, I am still going to respectfully disagree with you. I understand your points, I just don't think the guys we have can make a run through a long B1G schedule and end in the top half of the conference. And I have my doubts about Fran's game day coaching ability. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the team, I just don't think we are very good this year.

I don't disagree with that. I never said it WOULD happen. Nothing I've seen so far from the team gives me any indication that it will happen. But sports are funny. I'm not using the youth excuse, but I do see a team full of Frosh and Sophomores getting the bulk of the minutes so who knows? It could click. It clicked at times last year and this is pretty much the same team. To say there is NO chance after 5 games is just not true. I get it tho, after watching what they showed so far in this tournament, if you look at the team with your eye balls, you say "no chance"....but sports are weird. Things RARELY go how you think they will based of your projections right? Are you not a little shocked at how bad Iowa looks after an entire off season of hope and expectations? You should be. Just like now, the ceiling and world looks pretty bleak for this team and it looks like they aren't going to win 10 games this year. Just when you think that, things could change. I am not saying they will, but to say the season's over is just crazy. They certainly have an uphill battle now tho.

Haha!

Ok, you win. Iowa has a .000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of getting an NCAA tourney bid. I will say that an 11-7, 3rd place finish will not guarantee Iowa a berth with their pathetic non-conference SOS and bad losses.

Actually I think it pretty much would. If Iowa only loses to VT and ISU the rest of the NON - CON and goes 11-7 in the B1G - that puts record like this

21-9 with and RPI around 44 and SOS of 91 - that's probably in and that's before the BTT

Again, I am not saying any of this happens. But teams do get better. Upsets happen - Iowa could go on a tear if they figured it out. They could also win less then 12 games this year. All I am saying is ... it aint over.

I remember last season when you wrote Haha! about Jordan making the B1G All Freshman team...

oh and you wrote Haha after I said Iowa still had an outside shot at the dance and then ended up missing it by one game.

Actually - come to think of it... when you write Haha! after things, they have a tendency of coming true. Let's keep that trend.

Actually I think it pretty much would. If Iowa only loses to VT and ISU the rest of the NON - CON and goes 11-7 in the B1G - that puts record like this

21-9 with and RPI around 44 and SOS of 91 - that's probably in and that's before the BTT

Again, I am not saying any of this happens. But teams do get better. Upsets happen - Iowa could go on a tear if they figured it out. They could also win less then 12 games this year. All I am saying is ... it aint over.

If we lose to VT and ISU and lose 7 games in the the B1G we will have 11 losses not 9.

If we lose to VT and ISU and lose 7 games in the the B1G we will have 11 losses not 9.

You're right - see how easy it is to admit that to someone? Math is hard for me. But I don't need math to know that this team has more then 0% chance of making the dance still. There are going to be teams in the field when all said and done, that are going to worse RPI loses then these.

Last edited:

I'm just concerned with how they are losing. It's one thing when shots just aren't falling and we are making correctable mistakes. I'm very concern with the lack of defense and with who we have handling the ball. Especially when Jobo isn't in. Defense is correctable, but Fran just hasn't proven that he is a great at teaching defense.

I'm just concerned with how they are losing. It's one thing when shots just aren't falling and we are making correctable mistakes. I'm very concern with the lack of defense and with who we have handling the ball. Especially when Jobo isn't in. Defense is correctable, but Fran just hasn't proven that he is a great at teaching defense.

Defense period. #1 concern. Our back up PG is currently out sick. I imagine he won't be sick forever. Fran has had decent defensive teams in the past, so he hasn't proven to NOT be able to teach defense. So far tho, he's proven he can't teach defense to THIS group. It's bad. I am not trying to sell that it isn't.

Defense period. #1 concern. Our back up PG is currently out sick. I imagine he won't be sick forever. Fran has had decent defensive teams in the past, so he hasn't proven to NOT be able to teach defense. So far tho, he's proven he can't teach defense to THIS group. It's bad. I am not trying to sell that it isn't.
I hope our back up point guard can play point guard at this level. We don't know yet. Baer should help with defensively. But by the time we get it all figured out, the hole could be very big. I don't disagree that it's not impossible for us to be a bubble team, I'm saying it's very very very unlikely. Like a miraculous turnaround that I've never seen.

Latest posts