IOWA vs Penn State Friday

Predictions:
125:
This match will be a difficult one for Matt “MCDâ€￾ McDonough in a rematch of last year’s 125lb championship. MCD will do his homework this week on Megaludis. This is not just another match for MCD. I think he will want to make a statement and win a convincing match by decision. It will be close but I think MCD will be in control the whole time.

Iowa 3-0

Ramos is too much for Conway and will get some much needed bonus points. We all know how well Ramos wrestles at Carver. Big stage Big points. Carver will start to get electric as Ramos is a fan favorite with his attitude on and off the mat.
Iowa 7-0

Ballweg has been stepping up and this time I feel like there will be a lot more pressure on him because the media has been blowing him up. We will see how he reacts but I do think he gets the win. I think this will be a close match as Pearsall is solid all around
Iowa 10-0

This is a tough one to call on wether or not Kelly will give up bonus points. Kelly wrestled the full seven minutes last dual and really think he can do it again tonight. Alton is very very dangerous as many found out last year. I don't think Alton steps up to get bonus points here but wins by decision solely based of Kelly having better conditioning. (watch out for fall)

Iowa 10-3

DSJ proves why he is #1 and wins a well contested battle against Alton. Alton will be in the top 4 at nationals and could make the finals depending on seeding. This is a big test for DSJ and Carver will get behind him to bring it home!

Iowa 13-3

Moore is going from a big win to a big bashing against Taylor. Taylor is more physical, longer, and scrappier than Moore and gets the tech fall with multiple tilts. Kyle Dake is the only one to slow down Taylor at this weight class.

Iowa 13-8

Break out your fake mustaches and support Mr. Evans as this is a BIG match for him going forward and very important in this dual. This one could go down to over time and you know Carver will give him the extra gas in the tank to get the job done. Evans thrives in Carver

Iowa 16-8

Ruth doesn't let up and Lofthouse won't be able to keep up. Lofthouse won't be able to score from his feet which are the only opportunities to score points against Ruth. This one could get ugly if Lofthouse can't slow him down. For sure a major but could see big bonus points

Iowa 16-12

I think this is a good match up for fans. Burak is lanky like Wright so I think he will be able to have a solid defense. The problem last dual was Burak can't finish a shot and unless Wright is tired from the travel. Penn State arrived Thursday night so don’t count on it

Iowa 16-16

Telford has the upper hand here and wins the dual for Iowa. Carver will be electric!

Iowa 19-16

Join the pre-dual discussion at http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/wrestling/55810-iowa-vs-penn-state-friday.html

This went pretty much as predicted same outcomes wether Kelly or gambrall wrestles I think

That was a classic exchange. I thought Brands was really getting into his head, ... then the official said something about challenging his ruling ... and Brands backed down. Why?

No it's not because he is a wuss it's because he didn't want to give up a team point for complaining.

No it's not because he is a wuss it's because he didn't want to give up a team point for complaining.

Seriously? There is a rule against complaining that would result in a point loss! Seems like he has gone pretty hard at officials in the past. Is the rule new? Or are they just enforcing it more? . . . Or has Brands become a wuss as some have suggested?

After Gambrall hit that sick double leg I thought he somehow had a chance at beating Ruth... but it didn't take me long to remember Ruth was in a league of his own.

Fantastic win. I still think PSU is a much better tourney team and will win handily at the NCAAs, but after tonight I like our chances quite a bit more.

I don't think it's exactly in the bag for PSU. Iowa and OSU still have a chance, especially having it in Iowa this year. We have four guys who can potentially win it.

The bench would get a warning then a point would be dededucted same as when Kirk gets a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct call

Seriously? There is a rule against complaining that would result in a point loss! Seems like he has gone pretty hard at officials in the past. Is the rule new? Or are they just enforcing it more? . . . Or has Brands become a wuss as some have suggested?

yep - also applies at the HS level

The bench would get a warning then a point would be dededucted same as when Kirk gets a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct call

Seemed like a pretty quick (and mild) conversation compared to some of the rave outs I've seen in the past. At first, I thought he was working the official really well, putting him on the defense by challenging him to not even do the video review. Then, the official really took charge. I was surprised at how quickly and completely Brands backed down. As he started talking to his wrestler, I wondered if he might be saying something that was really meant for the official, but it didn't seem like it. Brands must have known the stakes and wouldn't risk the point.

Seemed like a pretty quick (and mild) conversation compared to some of the rave outs I've seen in the past. At first, I thought he was working the official really well, putting him on the defense by challenging him to not even do the video review. Then, the official really took charge. I was surprised at how quickly and completely Brands backed down. As he started talking to his wrestler, I wondered if he might be saying something that was really meant for the official, but it didn't seem like it. Brands must have known the stakes and wouldn't risk the point.

Brands was also mic'd up which usually is not the case. Lots of ppl listening in

I don't think it's exactly in the bag for PSU. Iowa and OSU still have a chance, especially having it in Iowa this year. We have four guys who can potentially win it.

that is why they play the game! you are right on weezer.

As for Brands being a "wuss" as some have put it...

Brands wasn't be a wuss, he was being smart. He knows that potentially ticking off the ref may swing things in Penn State's favor. The ref was being very lenient on the stalling calls on both sides all night, he wouldn't want to jeopardize that.

Latest posts