Iowa vs Ohio State Predictions

pin2win

@hagertony
everyone wear gold to the dual and for those who can't attend it will be aired on the b10 network

post predictions and as usual i'll have mine done around thursday friday but looking ahead i really only see iowa losing one match whats crazy about this dual is none of the wrestlers have wrestled each other besides kerr and sponseller which wasn't a good ending for kerr

Other than Ramos vs Paddock and Janssen vs Sponseller there shouldn't be much to think about. This meet should be pretty ugly!

Fulsaasfan - are you assuming Ramos will wrestle or do you have inside info? Any idea how Brands will make the final decision at 133? I think Clark wins the majority of head to head matches but Ramos obviously scores more points.

I'm just assuming that Ramos will get the nod this weekend and going forward. I do think that Clark and Moore geat Ramos head to head but I believe that Ramos gives Brands what he is looking for on the mat under the lights. I wouldn't mind giving the other guys a chance but we'll see what happens.

I missed Heflin at 174. He's a freshman ranked #12 on Intermat. So that brings the total to 3 matches to look forward to.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1TxiVhrkZA]YouTube - Prediction for the Fight[/ame]

I'll do a breakdown just for the heck of it.

125: #2 Steel vs. Touris; Steel starts us off right with a fall and its 6-0 Hawks
133: Ramos(NR because intermat has Clark ranked) vs. Paddock #16; I will catch some slack for this but I don't like this matchup for Ramos he will be giving up some size and it will be hard for him to finish his shots. Paddock wins by countering Ramos and using his size advantage. 6-3 Hawks
141: #16 Ballweg vs. Languis; Ballweg crushes Languis and puts him away early second period. 12-3 Hawks
149: Ballweg vs. Fee; Ballweg keeps us rolling with a dec. here. 15-3 Hawks
157: #15 DSJ vs. Nemac; Nemac is a solid wrestler that could give DSJ some fits but I think DSJ still finds a way to win by major dec. 19-3 Hawks
164: FEATURE MATCH! #16 Janssen vs. #8 Sponseller; I Love that Jans is in the lineup but Spons is a goer and I think he wins a heartbreaker over Jans. 19-6 Hawks
174: #14 Lofthouse vs. #12 Heflin; I think Ethan will keep on rolling and win here. 22-6 Hawks
184: #17 Gambrall vs. Mangrum; Another very interesting match I just hope Grant can find some offense or he could easilly lose this one as well but for now I think he wins on riding time. 25-6 Hawks
197: #15 Lofthouse vs. Capone; Luke shouldn't have a lot of trouble here and gets a major. 29-6 Hawks
Hwt: Razer vs. Stolarsky another one where a lot of people will be wanting more but Razer wins with a takedown in ot. 32-6 Hawks

Yes we could shut them out but we could lose 133,165,174 and 184 also. So for now I'll just stick with what I have. Hope to see some of you there!

I'll do a breakdown just for the heck of it.

125: #2 Steel vs. Touris; Steel starts us off right with a fall and its 6-0 Hawks
133: Ramos(NR because intermat has Clark ranked) vs. Paddock #16; I will catch some slack for this but I don't like this matchup for Ramos he will be giving up some size and it will be hard for him to finish his shots. Paddock wins by countering Ramos and using his size advantage. 6-3 Hawks
141: #16 Ballweg vs. Languis; Ballweg crushes Languis and puts him away early second period. 12-3 Hawks
149: Ballweg vs. Fee; Ballweg keeps us rolling with a dec. here. 15-3 Hawks
157: #15 DSJ vs. Nemac; Nemac is a solid wrestler that could give DSJ some fits but I think DSJ still finds a way to win by major dec. 19-3 Hawks
164: FEATURE MATCH! #16 Janssen vs. #8 Sponseller; I Love that Jans is in the lineup but Spons is a goer and I think he wins a heartbreaker over Jans. 19-6 Hawks
174: #14 Lofthouse vs. #12 Heflin; I think Ethan will keep on rolling and win here. 22-6 Hawks
184: #17 Gambrall vs. Mangrum; Another very interesting match I just hope Grant can find some offense or he could easilly lose this one as well but for now I think he wins on riding time. 25-6 Hawks
197: #15 Lofthouse vs. Capone; Luke shouldn't have a lot of trouble here and gets a major. 29-6 Hawks
Hwt: Razer vs. Stolarsky another one where a lot of people will be wanting more but Razer wins with a takedown in ot. 32-6 Hawks

Yes we could shut them out but we could lose 133,165,174 and 184 also. So for now I'll just stick with what I have. Hope to see some of you there!

125 Agree
133 I think Ramos gets countered and ridden out in the first, but gets on a roll in the second and just misses a major.
141 Agree
149 Agree
157 Agree with the win, but I'm thinking dec
165 Agree, probably something similar to what happened at Ok St
174 Agree, last second takedown
184 Mangrum to win on riding point
197 Agree
HWT Agree but gets a couple of takedowns to win in reg.

Okay, I'll bite, only because your attitude about him dictates that you deserve some slack for it.

Ramos and McD have been on the same team for a long time. Ramos was probably the first one to know that McD was staying at 125 this year. Ramos spent his off season preparing for 133 and in turn is not a small 133 even though that is his reputation. I'm sorry that fat and lazy Moore (our BIG 133 lber) didn't have the same dedication to the program. But he didn't. I've heard you preach about how "Janssen's an AA" and Fittery was lucky not to be at Midlands! A complete homer for every kid in the room except Ramos?

I'm guessing like a lot of other people on here, that he just likes his attacking style of wrestling when Clark seems to be much more defensive and Moore just can't seem to put it together enough to win the spot.

CR why such passion for ramos?? friends/family?

not saying your right or wrong just curious

He wrestles the Iowa style and shows that he is living the Iowa wrestling way. He is the type of wrestler that Iowa has always been able to get big things out of. That said I have nothing against Clark, I like Ramos' style better for Iowa.

I'm not really passionate about Ramos. If anything I'm against Tobini's blind love of ICW wrestlers (specifically Moore). Some on here really support the ICW wrestlers. I'm starting to lean the opposite way. It's not about them getting 'transfers' either. I see the ICW room in general as a place that doesn't produce toughness, dicipline, conditioning, or work ethic. It cherry picks top level talent but does nothing other than putting a good schedule together to develop it. The kids from that room get into the Iowa room where talent alone won't win and they can't adapt. An example: compare McD and Moore from high school to college. Or Michael Kelly and Nick Moore so far in their careers. It looks like that is not the room the Hawkeyes need to get wrestlers from.

CR why such passion for ramos?? friends/family?

not saying your right or wrong just curious

Why don't you ask Tobini why he loves Moore so much? I don't agree with CR on all ICW wrestlers not being tough enough. However, in Ramos we have a wrestler who defines Iowa wrestling; and yet this guy doesn't just say he thinks Moore/Clark is better, he goes out of his way to undermine Ramos. Granted in this thread he didn't and I have no problem with him thinking he was going to lose, as he gave his opinion.

I can understand you trying to keep the peace; but Tobini/FF/etc will argue for their boy, and I'll argue for Ramos. The difference is that I never said Moore/Clark was bad, I just prefer Ramos' style. Have you seen Tobini say anything positive about Ramos lately. Maybe back before he started wrestling ahead of the other two?

BTW, having a debate is good. I have no ill will towards anyone on here, especially Tobini, as he brings good passion to the sport and this forum!

He wrestles the Iowa style and shows that he is living the Iowa wrestling way. He is the type of wrestler that Iowa has always been able to get big things out of. That said I have nothing against Clark, I like Ramos' style better for Iowa.

I'm not really passionate about Ramos. If anything I'm against Tobini's blind love of ICW wrestlers (specifically Moore). Some on here really support the ICW wrestlers. I'm starting to lean the opposite way. It's not about them getting 'transfers' either. I see the ICW room in general as a place that doesn't produce toughness, dicipline, conditioning, or work ethic. It cherry picks top level talent but does nothing other than putting a good schedule together to develop it. The kids from that room get into the Iowa room where talent alone won't win and they can't adapt. An example: compare McD and Moore from high school to college. Or Michael Kelly and Nick Moore so far in their careers. It looks like that is not the room the Hawkeyes need to get wrestlers from.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Let's get 1 thing straight here guys; I really appreciate what Ramos brings to the team. He is Really good from his feet and works to score points! He does need a little work on top and underneath. But I do appreciate what he has done and is doing. That being said Clark is 2-1 against him and honestly Moore should be the guys but is evidentally having issues with weight and devotion. Don't forget it was not that long ago that Moore was/is very lucky to be alive! I will support whoever Brands puts out there but just feel that Clark should be out there right now that's all. The comment regaurding the ICW kids is somewhat warrented but I believe that I have stated a time or two about the concerns I have for Gambrall. As for DSJ I really can't go into details as to why I am laying off on him simply because to many people read these forms. Lastly I have NO problems with anybody on this board.

I think the potential that ramos has is appealing. But clarks experience and proven ability is what is needed on such a young team. I understand Ramos is exciting but on such an inexperienced team you need leaders, guys who've been there before and really there are only two guys in the room right now: McD and Clark.

Seriously: Tyler Clark - D1 College Wrestling

Latest posts