Iowa vs Nebraska

I'm not gonna concern myself with what some Michigan fans were saying during the Iowa/Nebby game. A game they needed us to win so they could have a chance to back into the B1G title game. They should've been concerning themselves with OSU instead.
Yawn.

Its true and its funny when you see other football fans so confused why a football coach would call a game the way KF did.

You should read my post before you post.

I said he didnt want to win. Not try to lose.

I said he was only gonna win if he had to. Meaning he was going to run 3 plays in the last 2 min not run a 2 min drill like the rest of college football would have.

I said he only wants to win if it fits his conservative game plan. KF does not care to change with the rest of football.

"I dont think KF wanted to win that game. Too much explaining to do if they had."

Noooo don't backtrack pal. You suggested that he didn't want to win because then he would have some explaining to do. Right or wrong?

Not wanting to win and trying to lose are the same thing. Don't split hairs.

KF wants to win. He believes in taking a conservative approach to get there. That has backfired many times and it's hard to watch. I will agree with you in that regard. Suggesting that he "didn't want to win the game" is just plain dumb. There's no need to sugarcoat it.

Last edited:
II have said this all along KF only wants to win if its in his conservative way. If that wasnt the case he would change with the rest of the football world. He doesnt want to change. If it works good if it doesnt fine but thats the way KF is going to play.

How is this not accurate?

FreedComanche

You should read my post before you post.

I said he didnt want to win. Not try to lose.

I said he was only gonna win if he had to. Meaning he was going to run 3 plays in the last 2 min not run a 2 min drill like the rest of college football would have.

I said he only wants to win if it fits his conservative game plan. KF does not care to change with the rest of football.

The problem OOTH is you said other things as well. Things that are just insane actually. Only wanting to win if he had to?

For the most part I ignore you negativity, as we all deal in different ways. What I don't ignore is idiocy, and that is why you embarked upon in this thread.

What some of you don't realize is our QB has the option to change the play at the line of scrimmage.The problem was he didn't make the right reads.

What some of you don't realize is our QB has the option to change the play at the line of scrimmage.The problem was he didn't make the right reads.

If the QB makes the wrong reads for a game or two, it's the QB's fault. If he makes the wrong reads all season long, then that's on the coaching staff.

Lol at you guys thinking its a rivalry, granted ISU is guilty of acting like you guys too, but still LOL.

Ill say it again.........I DONT THINK KIRK WANTED TO BEAT NEBBY.

I dont think he tried to lose though and there is a difference. Although punting from Nebraskis 39 yard line when neither offense is scoring is insane.

He called a game that showed he was only going to win if it fit his conservative game plan.

I dont think kirk is trying in general. When you have multiple years when you cant manage the clock and you cant cover an onside kick. You have to do something about that. You get millions of dollars hire somebody that can read a clock or that knows what and onside kick is. There is no excuse for these things.

If you think KF is doing everything to win then thats fine. You can think that. I just dont see the effort and in kirks case change would show effort. Not going from one conservative offense that didnt work to another conservative offense that is even worse.

Ill say it again.........I DONT THINK KIRK WANTED TO BEAT NEBBY.

I dont think he tried to lose though and there is a difference. Although punting from Nebraskis 39 yard line when neither offense is scoring is insane.

He called a game that showed he was only going to win if it fit his conservative game plan.

I dont think kirk is trying in general. When you have multiple years when you cant manage the clock and you cant cover an onside kick. You have to do something about that. You get millions of dollars hire somebody that can read a clock or that knows what and onside kick is. There is no excuse for these things.

If you think KF is doing everything to win then thats fine. You can think that. I just dont see the effort and in kirks case change would show effort. Not going from one conservative offense that didnt work to another conservative offense that is even worse.

So you don't think he wanted to beat Nebby... but you don't think he tried to lose??? Lol come on man I hope you realize that your argument has zero logic to it.

Think about this way...

If you WANT to win a game are you going to try to win?

If you WANT to lose a game aren't you going to try to lose?

You are saying "you don't think" Kirk wanted to beat Nebraska. If that was the case he would try to lose (which you are saying you don't think he did). You are splitting hairs for the sake of your argument, and you're saying he's not trying to lose because you realize that sounds ridiculous. However, in reality (come back to it please) that is what you're saying he's doing. So basically you're attempting to justify the ridiculous things that you're saying, and you're failing to do so because it doesn't make any sense.

Kirk tries to win with a conservative approach that has often resulted in the Hawks losing. To be completely fair, it has probably resulted in the Hawks winning a few games during his tenure as well. However, no one remembers those because they end up being wins. The close losses are remembered by all because it is so painful to watch a team casually let the game slip away because they are stuck being too conservative. Not to mention, there have been some huge games that resulted in losses because of this approach. Look, I totally agree with you that his conservatice approach needs to change. I agree the offense was mind-numbingly awful last year. It was so bad that it was almost impossible to watch. What did JVB have like effin 6 total TD passes??? That's an insanely low number even for a bad QB.

My point is no matter how much you hate Kirk and his philosophy, stating any opinion that makes it seem like you honestly don't believe Kirk wants to win or is trying to lose is simply asinine. Unless he is placing huge bets against his own team he has absolutely nothing to gain out of losing games. I'm pretty sure Kirk Ferentz is the last coach in D1 football who would be placing any sort of wager.

So you don't think he wanted to beat Nebby... but you don't think he tried to lose??? Lol come on man I hope you realize that your argument has zero logic to it.

Think about this way...

If you WANT to win a game are you going to try to win?

If you WANT to lose a game aren't you going to try to lose?

You are saying "you don't think" Kirk wanted to beat Nebraska. If that was the case he would try to lose (which you are saying you don't think he did). You are splitting hairs for the sake of your argument, and you're saying he's not trying to lose because you realize that sounds ridiculous. However, in reality (come back to it please) that is what you're saying he's doing. So basically you're attempting to justify the ridiculous things that you're saying, and you're failing to do so because it doesn't make any sense.

Kirk tries to win with a conservative approach that has often resulted in the Hawks losing. To be completely fair, it has probably resulted in the Hawks winning a few games during his tenure as well. However, no one remembers those because they end up being wins. The close losses are remembered by all because it is so painful to watch a team casually let the game slip away because they are stuck being too conservative. Not to mention, there have been some huge games that resulted in losses because of this approach. Look, I totally agree with you that his conservatice approach needs to change. I agree the offense was mind-numbingly awful last year. It was so bad that it was almost impossible to watch. What did JVB have like effin 6 total TD passes??? That's an insanely low number even for a bad QB.

My point is no matter how much you hate Kirk and his philosophy, stating any opinion that makes it seem like you honestly don't believe Kirk wants to win or is trying to lose is simply asinine. Unless he is placing huge bets against his own team he has absolutely nothing to gain out of losing games. I'm pretty sure Kirk Ferentz is the last coach in D1 football who would be placing any sort of wager.

Okay think about when Iowa beat Pitt and then Kirk wants nothing to do with that game plan ever again. Why? Because he only cares about playing Kirk ball. Not looking for new ways to win ball games. He doesnt want to change. That to me means hes not really trying. Im not saying he goes out and punts on first down. I dont think he made any bets I dont think kirk knows what a bet is.

Also I am watching the MSU game on BTN and this is one where conservative worked. The defense played well, and in the end MSU gave Iowa a win. Iowa had like 200 yds of total offense. The last ten minutes is really a test to see whose offense is run worse. Just awful football. But you got to hand it to Kirk he got it done and he got it done his way.

As a hawkeye living in Omaha for the last few years I hate this game. When Nebby first joined the BigTen there was a legit rivalry feeling, some good natured (and not so good natured) taunting in bars etc. that I both saw and was involved in.

After the first loss we hawk fans got it rubbed in pretty good, not fun but you take your lumps.

After the second loss they took pity on us which is even worse. When you have husker fans trying to make you feel better about your team you know its bad.

We are beneath husker fans' contempt at this point, they don't care about us, they arent scared of us and they don't view it as a rivalry.

As a hawkeye living in Omaha for the last few years I hate this game. When Nebby first joined the BigTen there was a legit rivalry feeling, some good natured (and not so good natured) taunting in bars etc. that I both saw and was involved in.

After the first loss we hawk fans got it rubbed in pretty good, not fun but you take your lumps.

After the second loss they took pity on us which is even worse. When you have husker fans trying to make you feel better about your team you know its bad.

We are beneath husker fans' contempt at this point, they don't care about us, they arent scared of us and they don't view it as a rivalry.

I lived in La Vista for 2 years Hawkinn.... I feel your pain. The sad part about the situation is that Nebraska really hasn't been that good. They've been pretty pathetic on defense, but because our offense has been so inept it hasn't mattered.

I'm glad I got out of the Omaha area before they joined the B10. It was bad enough wearing a Hawkeye jersey to the bar beforehand, now I'm sure you can't go 5 ft. without getting crap from a Husker fan. The majority of them still think their team is on the verge of dominance again. I don't think Pelini has what it takes to get them there.

Anyone that thinks that KF does not want to win every single game is too stupid to be allowed to post on any message board...take the computer away,mom!

I lived in La Vista for 2 years Hawkinn.... I feel your pain. The sad part about the situation is that Nebraska really hasn't been that good. They've been pretty pathetic on defense, but because our offense has been so inept it hasn't mattered.

I'm glad I got out of the Omaha area before they joined the B10. It was bad enough wearing a Hawkeye jersey to the bar beforehand, now I'm sure you can't go 5 ft. without getting crap from a Husker fan. The majority of them still think their team is on the verge of dominance again. I don't think Pelini has what it takes to get them there.

I wasn't there, so I can't speak to either one of those situations; however, if the husker fans are "taking pity" on us after last years game, then they better wake up. Iowa very well could have won that game last year. Nebby far from dominated us last year and are not near dominating the rivalry. I believe this game will become competitive (in terms of wins and losses) very soon. ESPECIALLY if we can steal one in Lincoln this year.

Sadly, inthinkbwr have another bad year and FTP Davis goes. Then we have another bad year due to what we label as transition again from j e offensive coordinator to the next, then kf is gone, them we have more building years with the next coach. I really hope this isn't the case, but sadly I think the nebby series becomes loss after loss because of what lies ahead with our program. The derp Davis offense just will not do it. Sorry homers but he is the end of kf and more transition years of new coaches and losing seasons. Sorry to poop in your cornflakes today but we better all learn to be humble...

We had our good years, four top ten finishes in eight years, two bcs games with one win, good success against sec teams in bowls, lots of players to the pros, etc etc. with that said, I think it will be some time before we see that again.

We had our good years, four top ten finishes in eight years, two bcs games with one win, good success against sec teams in bowls, lots of players to the pros, etc etc. with that said, I think it will be some time before we see that again.

You very well could be right MHA. I hope not, but it's certainly a possibility that we look back on the GD hire and remember it as the beginning of the slide back down to mediocrity or worse. At least I'm at the point now where if that happens I won't be shocked. The last couple of years have slowly prepared me for what it might be like cheering for a team that struggles to compete.

Sadly, inthinkbwr have another bad year and FTP Davis goes. Then we have another bad year due to what we label as transition again from j e offensive coordinator to the next, then kf is gone, them we have more building years with the next coach. I really hope this isn't the case, but sadly I think the nebby series becomes loss after loss because of what lies ahead with our program. The derp Davis offense just will not do it. Sorry homers but he is the end of kf and more transition years of new coaches and losing seasons. Sorry to poop in your cornflakes today but we better all learn to be humble...

I could see this playing out and I'm optimistic. So if we can show improvement in Davis 2.0 this season and be competitive against the heavy weights and win 6 games in 2013, 2014 sets up nicely with alot of good, albeit, unproven talent on campus and a favorable schedule.

However, if Davis were to be gone in after 2013, yeah we are probably in for an extended skid.

Latest posts