Iowa vs Kennesaw State Gamethread

JT could be something special. His speed and quick hands are things this program hasn’t had for a while. But, man, he needs to get his game under control. And find a shooting touch.
Someone needs to tell him to stop shooting the long pull up two point jump shot. He’s not even shooting them from the elbow either he’s like deep on the wing just inside the arc. Easily the worst shot in basketball and on top of that I don’t think he’s made hardly any from that range. I’d much rather him just shoot a 3 if that’s the case.

He has a tendency to get a little lazy on defense and pick up some fouls. As many have pointed out it looks like it’s going to be an up and down type ride with him. He certainly has potential.

I think Kriener might have just stole Garza's starting spot.
Think of the terror he would have been in the Iowa Conference.

On a serious note we need Kriener to play best ball of his career from this point forward. Not every fourth game, but consistently night in night out. He could be an eight and five guy off the bench and go off on given nights. But no more hiding in the scorebook. Senior year is not the time to fold your tent if you get a shot rejected early, miss your first three, or pick up quick fouls.

I still cringe over that rebound he let Bruno Fernando get last year. Grab that ball and we win that game.

JT could be something special. His speed and quick hands are things this program hasn’t had for a while. But, man, he needs to get his game under control. And find a shooting touch.

This game he had 2 turnovers, 7 assists and 5 steals

Granted it was against the Owls, but it is a sign that he can play better and under control for the most part

He passed the ball rather than driving into traffic as he has in past games

His upside is large and his defense is something we haven't had for years

JoeW and Freddy both play solid D. Things are looking up on that front

Penn State at the Palestra is another story.

I moved to Philadelphia after graduating from Dowling and went to the Palestra to see Drake under Maury John with McCoy McLemore on the team. I was the only one in a full house cheering for the Bulldogs

:cool:

Connor is one of those guys who contributes and is valuable even if he isn't scoring: blocks out, covers the passing lanes, keeps in front of the player on defense, head is up, unafraid to mix it up on the boards, knows when to pass most of the time. Smart.

Connor also brings attitude and toughness to the team

Same as JoeT is doing

We are acquiring attitude this season and would not have beat Texas Tech and Cincinnati without it

I agree that he does other things, which is why I said I don’t question his value. The point is if he can provide some scoring Iowa is even that much better. Every little bit counts when we get into B1G conference play. If teams start disregarding him on offense, that hurts Garza, and the others. Again it’s something to follow.
Concur, players who can shoot, are valuable, the more accurate the better. Connor plays with confidence and a bit of snark, a competitor.

Think of the terror he would have been in the Iowa Conference.

On a serious note we need Kriener to play best ball of his career from this point forward. Not every fourth game, but consistently night in night out. He could be an eight and five guy off the bench and go off on given nights. But no more hiding in the scorebook. Senior year is not the time to fold your tent if you get a shot rejected early, miss your first three, or pick up quick fouls.

I still cringe over that rebound he let Bruno Fernando get last year. Grab that ball and we win that game.
Agreed. We need Kriener to continue to be so steady off the bench.

Connor also brings attitude and toughness to the team

Same as JoeT is doing

We are acquiring attitude this season and would not have beat Texas Tech and Cincinnati without it
The departures from last year's team have allowed new leadership to take root, and excel. Also, there are more shots available.

JT is exactly what this team needed. He's not gonna be a big time scorer, but that's not what we needed. I think this team can do special things this season. If everyone returns, next year could be really special. Something about this team makes me believe we won't see a second half dropoff like we've seen before.

Kriener is one of those valuable team members who can do well off the bench, without pouting about not getting more big time minutes. You can't have enough of them. Always nice to see those types of players get rewarded with some big games.
The point is with all the injuries, Kriener’s role is that much bigger now. He will likely see 20 minutes on many nights. Although he’s not a starter you could make an argument he’s in our top 5, or for sure top 6. As a senior and main bench player we need consistent play from him.

Just got home... shocked at the size of crowd for a poor opponent but Sunday at 3 is a good time to catch a game so we took up the kids.

Took care of business. Nothing else you can really take away when you play that level of competition.

Just got home... shocked at the size of crowd for a poor opponent but Sunday at 3 is a good time to catch a game so we took up the kids.

Took care of business. Nothing else you can really take away when you play that level of competition.
I think a person can rightly question the value of such a "scrimmage" at this point in the schedule.

The point is with all the injuries, Kriener’s role is that much bigger now. He will likely see 20 minutes on many nights. Although he’s not a starter you could make an argument he’s in our top 5, or for sure top 6. As a senior and main bench player we need consistent play from him.
Kriener/Garza/Wieskamp

Waite/Krafcisin/Boyle

Bringing my two boys down for Illinois on February 2.

It's a noon tip so we will be home in plenty of time for the Super Bowl.

I think a person can rightly question the value of such a "scrimmage" at this point in the schedule.
Most years I would agree. With the loss of a key player like JBo 10 games in this “scrimmage” may have come at the right time and been useful in helping the team adjust to a new floor leader or leaders heading back into B1G play.

we’ll see.

Most years I would agree. With the loss of a key player like JBo 10 games in this “scrimmage” may have come at the right time and been useful in helping the team adjust to a new floor leader or leaders heading back into B1G play.

we’ll see.
That makes sense but it was kind of a "walk through" in terms of being challenged. One would think that planning for a better opponent would make for more fan interest and less empty seats. Iowa also was able to play some of their depth players, which is also a nice reward for them, given the amount of time they put in for the good of the team.

Someone needs to tell him to stop shooting the long pull up two point jump shot. He’s not even shooting them from the elbow either he’s like deep on the wing just inside the arc. Easily the worst shot in basketball and on top of that I don’t think he’s made hardly any from that range. I’d much rather him just shoot a 3 if that’s the case.

He has a tendency to get a little lazy on defense and pick up some fouls. As many have pointed out it looks like it’s going to be an up and down type ride with him. He certainly has potential.

If he ever gets his shot down he could end up being extremely good. He chucks up 500 threes a day in practice so it could come to fruition.

Latest posts