Iowa vs Kennesaw State Gamethread

Overall, I am pleased with the team at this very early stage

Seem to play together nicely

D was good for the most part. The half-court trap is working well and should get better

Team loves to play FranBall, racing around like speed demons

This is going to be a fun season. No lofty expectations. Just going to relax and enjoy the team coming together

At least NIT bound.....Perhaps

thedukeofearl, Nov 11, 2016

Not sure what we can glean from this one.

I’m thinking if Toussaint and Evelyn are going to be our primary PG’s we are simply going to have to live with some more turnovers.

As I said recently we are going to need Connor to be a scoring threat, so I’m getting a little concerned there. I’m okay that he had a stinker game today since it didn’t matter but just something to follow.

Again we just need to continue to get good shots and a lot of shots for Garza, Wieskamp, and Fredrick, with some contributions coming from the rest of the bunch. We should be a good offensive team, if defense is serviceable and we win a few close ones we should be alright. Penn State feels like a huge game.

I’m thinking if Toussaint and Evelyn are going to be our primary PG’s we are simply going to have to live with some more turnovers.

As I said recently we are going to need Connor to be a scoring threat, so I’m getting a little concerned there. I’m okay that he had a stinker game today since it didn’t matter but just something to follow.

Again we just need to continue to get good shots and a lot of shots for Garza, Wieskamp, and Fredrick, with some contributions coming from the rest of the bunch. We should be a good offensive team, if defense is serviceable and we win a few close ones we should be alright. Penn State feels like a huge game.

You thought Connor played bad? I felt like he was all over the court.

Scoring threat is what I talking about. He was 2-8 from the field 0-2 (actually 0-3) from the line. I had this discussion with you. I have some concern about him providing scoring punch as a guy who’s going to play 30 minutes. I don’t question the value he’s brought to this team.

Connor plays in many ways an "invisible" quality game most of the time. Not much flash, but has size, fills the lane, plays and dribbles with his head up most of the time...which is highly underrated. Shooting is perhaps suspect but what I like about him is, he isn't afraid to take a critical shot.

I like what I see of Evelyn and JT. We haven't seen the dangerous PG penetration from the point vs our defense like we are used to seeing. It will be interesting to see those two vs better competition. Right now, I am pleasantly surprised and positive about both of them.

Fredrick is a player, plain and simple, shoots the lights out. He is better than advertised all over the court, an assasin's shot and a smart player.

Garza is fun to watch, amazing what a big man can do with post moves and pump fakes, and in shape. He has heart and is a leader. Cook gone...gives him so much space and so many shots to practice.

Wieskamp has been kind of quiet, but has exceptional talent, and can carry Iowa for stretches, and might have to.

I guess that's enough...

Scoring threat is what I talking about. He was 2-8 from the field 0-2 (actually 0-3) from the line. I had this discussion with you. I have some concern about him providing scoring punch as a guy who’s going to play 30 minutes. I don’t question the value he’s brought to this team.
Connor is one of those guys who contributes and is valuable even if he isn't scoring: blocks out, covers the passing lanes, keeps in front of the player on defense, head is up, unafraid to mix it up on the boards, knows when to pass most of the time. Smart.

Connor is one of those guys who contributes and is valuable even if he isn't scoring: blocks out, covers the passing lanes, keeps in front of the player on defense, head is up, unafraid to mix it up on the boards, knows when to pass most of the time. Smart.
I agree that he does other things, which is why I said I don’t question his value. The point is if he can provide some scoring Iowa is even that much better. Every little bit counts when we get into B1G conference play. If teams start disregarding him on offense, that hurts Garza, and the others. Again it’s something to follow.

JT could be something special. His speed and quick hands are things this program hasn’t had for a while. But, man, he needs to get his game under control. And find a shooting touch.

Connor plays in many ways an "invisible" quality game most of the time. Not much flash, but has size, fills the lane, plays and dribbles with his head up most of the time...which is highly underrated. Shooting is perhaps suspect but what I like about him is, he isn't afraid to take a critical shot.

I like what I see of Evelyn and JT. We haven't seen the dangerous PG penetration from the point vs our defense like we are used to seeing. It will be interesting to see those two vs better competition. Right now, I am pleasantly surprised and positive about both of them.

Fredrick is a player, plain and simple, shoots the lights out. He is better than advertised all over the court, an assasin's shot and a smart player.

Garza is fun to watch, amazing what a big man can do with post moves and pump fakes, and in shape. He has heart and is a leader. Cook gone...gives him so much space and so many shots to practice.

Wieskamp has been kind of quiet, but has exceptional talent, and can carry Iowa for stretches, and might have to.

I guess that's enough...
Frederick is also a good passer, with good court vision. He will easily end up second or third in assists on this team with JBo out.

Latest posts