Iowa vs Illinois game thread

I don’t care whether he stays or goes. He had some nice dunks and that one-handed alley-oop was SportsCenter worthy. He grabbed a few rebounds and had some assists. On the whole, though, that was the sum of his game.
Exactly. There are only so many plays you can draw up for a guy who only has the ability to score from underneath the basket

I’d like him to stay, too ... as long as he does what he did tonight. Dunk.
Unfortunately, if you heard Macaffery’s post game ... “We got Tyler going inside (that’s good Coach) He goes outside. He likes to be out there and we let him go... “
uh, that’s VERY BAD, Coach!:eek:

Your the f-ing Coach! It doesn’t matter what he likes, especially when he’s really bad at it! Your job is to have him do what he is good at because that helps your team win.:mad:

If he comes back, he will continue to be the most misused 4 in Iowa basketball history. Thts bad coaching.o_O
I also watched the BTN interview. Fran went on to say Tyler needs to be down low scoring and getting the opposing bigs in foul trouble. You must have been getting a glass of water during that part.

Exactly. There are only so many plays you can draw up for a guy who only has the ability to score from underneath the basket
Cook's ticket to the NBA, if he has one, is going to be as a Larry Smith, Cliff Levingston, Reggie Evans type player. If I were him I would study the art of offensive rebounding. He has the size and leaping ability to do it. But there is so much more. You have to anticipate not when the ball hits the rim, but when it leaves the shooter's hand. You have to study shooters for both teams. You have to have hands like vise grips. Many a potentially great college or NBA rebounder never became good at it because they never worked at it. And it's dirty, unglamorous work. Mastering the art of drawing fouls, and shooting free throws at 75-80% wouldn't hurt either.

I don’t care whether he stays or goes. He had some nice dunks and that one-handed alley-oop was SportsCenter worthy. He grabbed a few rebounds and had some assists. On the whole, though, that was the sum of his game.
His one handed alley-oop was similiar to Gerry Wright's best Iowa dunk, also against Illinois at Carver. And Wright had his share of great dunks. The only difference is that Wright's dunk was in transition, Cook's was off an out of bounds play.

I also watched the BTN interview. Fran went on to say Tyler needs to be down low scoring and getting the opposing bigs in foul trouble. You must have been getting a glass of water during that part.

Maybe I was but it only demonstrates my point, further. In fact, it's worse than just saying what I referenced.

If they "want" TC down low, rebounding, dunking, drawing fouls, etc - which is exactly his skill set and exactly the way to maximize his contribution toward W's - why in hell does the COACH, not address it it, rather than "let him go"?!

Why in hell have we been watching a strategy that has him setting picks at the top of the f-ing key and NOT roll toward the basket?

Why is he continuously pivoting to face up and then is stuck holding the ball 20' out? Not only is he zero threat as a shooter out there, he is often a liability handling / dribbling the ball more than a few feet to get to the basket.

I'll tell you why ... ever since JoBo had his heroics from outside, ol' "White Magic" began scheming to make him the primary offense. He completely undermined the success of this team - that was a direct result of a more inside-out offense - and reverted back to the 1-dimensional, 3-point attack.

That's just stupid strategy, weak leadership (which is what you often get from a "players' coach" like Macaffery) and bad coaching (I realized years ago there's not a guy on Staff that knows much about coaching and utilizing the post players). But, hey, at least he's got their backs.

Thanks for more evidence to support my argument that the Mac crew needs to go.

Cook's ticket to the NBA, if he has one, is going to be as a Larry Smith, Cliff Levingston, Reggie Evans type player. If I were him I would study the art of offensive rebounding. He has the size and leaping ability to do it. But there is so much more. You have to anticipate not when the ball hits the rim, but when it leaves the shooter's hand. You have to study shooters for both teams. You have to have hands like vise grips. Many a potentially great college or NBA rebounder never became good at it because they never worked at it. And it's dirty, unglamorous work. Mastering the art of drawing fouls, and shooting free throws at 75-80% wouldn't hurt either.

I envisioned him a Rodman type guy. TC's a pretty good rebounder on pure athletic ability. Imagine what he could be with better coaching on those positioning and anticipation skills you mentioned. He will NEVER have a jump shot but he could earn plenty of $ being a garbage man and getting to the line, where he's also decent.

Maybe I was but it only demonstrates my point, further. In fact, it's worse than just saying what I referenced.

If they "want" TC down low, rebounding, dunking, drawing fouls, etc - which is exactly his skill set and exactly the way to maximize his contribution toward W's - why in hell does the COACH, not address it it, rather than "let him go"?!

Why in hell have we been watching a strategy that has him setting picks at the top of the f-ing key and NOT roll toward the basket?

Why is he continuously pivoting to face up and then is stuck holding the ball 20' out? Not only is he zero threat as a shooter out there, he is often a liability handling / dribbling the ball more than a few feet to get to the basket.

I'll tell you why ... ever since JoBo had his heroics from outside, ol' "White Magic" began scheming to make him the primary offense. He completely undermined the success of this team - that was a direct result of a more inside-out offense - and reverted back to the 1-dimensional, 3-point attack.

That's just stupid strategy, weak leadership (which is what you often get from a "players' coach" like Macaffery) and bad coaching (I realized years ago there's not a guy on Staff that knows much about coaching and utilizing the post players). But, hey, at least he's got their backs.

Thanks for more evidence to support my argument that the Mac crew needs to go.
Sounds like you should send in your resume. All this team needs is you on the bench to win it all. Didn’t Steve Alford used to tell his kids to sit “still buster” growing up? Hmmmm...

Latest posts