Iowa vs. Idaho St. Coverage

smhawk

Hawkeye Sports - University of Iowa Official Athletic Site

Thanks to bigten, we get to see Michigan vs. Harvard on television and pay the network more if we want to see our own team on the live stream that is recorded with IA cameras.

I know it makes the Bigten more money with the way it is setup but this is lame. How come they can't show different Big ten games per regions in basketball like they do in football?

If you wanna leave big10 feedback here ya go
Contact Us - Big Ten Network

From what I remember about the last 500 discussions on this topic is, it is not cost evective to do this for basketball. If they did, they would lose money. I know that is stating the obvious, but it is just the way it is. Football is obviously a different story.

I know this sucks, remember when all the games were on TV and were free to watch.

Thank God this is the last time it will be on bigtennetwork.com so we don't have these stupid threads anymore.

I know this sucks, remember when all the games were on TV and were free to watch.

Thank God this is the last time it will be on bigtennetwork.com so we don't have these stupid threads anymore.

I agree the threads are silly, but they'll be one more game, Louisiana Tech, that's online only too.

I agree the threads are silly, but they'll be one more game, Louisiana Tech, that's online only too.

I forgot about that one. I guess I will prepare myself now for the "This BTN channel sucks and we can't even watch our Hawks on TV anymore, 20 years ago we didn't have this problem" crowd in a couple of weeks.

Its business though, lose money on these games, so they can acquire a larger tv audience for games that do bring in tv profit. The way they run it now you can have fans loose interest in the sport entirely when they don't broadcast them.

Bigten network seems way too interested in their own bottom line then fairly repsecting the fans they represent sometimes. Love them cutting back to the middle of a play because they ran a commerical too long to.

Its business though, lose money on these games, so they can acquire a larger tv audience for games that do bring in tv profit. The way they run it now you can have fans loose interest in the sport entirely when they don't broadcast them.

Bigten network seems way too interested in their own bottom line then fairly repsecting the fans they represent sometimes. Love them cutting back to the middle of a play because they ran a commerical too long to.

So by not televising 3 or 4 games out of 30 to 35 will cause people to lose interest in the sport entirely?

Bigten network seems way too interested in their own bottom line then fairly repsecting the fans they represent sometimes.QUOTE]

Using that logic, couldn't you say that fans who don't want to pay for the online streaming are way too interested in their own bottom line than supporting their school? Or is it a deal where it's OK for somebody else to lose their money, but not for you to lose yours?

Everything is about the bottom line these days. The BTN is out to make as much money as possible, as is the Big Ten Conference and Big Ten schools. It's not exactly a news flash that sports is about business, and has been for a long time.

I would sincerely doubt that whether the BTN shows Iowa vs. Idaho State will have any impact at all in having fans lose interest in the sport. I'd also be interested in where it is stated in the BTN's business plan that they are here to "represent" fans ...

I remember in the 80s we got all the Hawkeyes games for free on our TVs, even the roads game, even the tournaments when they were overseas and in different countries. Even the exhibition games, as well as all practices were televised. All free and all in HD, you know. The Big Ten Network just ruined it by giving Iowa fans across the country 95% of the games in HD and it comes with our cable or satellite provider free of charge. The nerve of that company!

it would have cost iowa fans a whopping $8 to watch the first 3 games online, or $16 for all four. that is, at worst, $4 per game. who is really being cheap here?

Also, don't you have to figure Iowa shares some of the "blame" here?

If you're a BTN programming decision-maker, and you're looking at it impartially, seeing where Iowa's program is and the fact that we're playing a crap opponent in a game that won't be anywhere near a sellout, how could you justify losing money to televise that game?

It would be a different story if we were nationally ranked and had 15,500 packing Carver for every game.

Hawkeye Sports - University of Iowa Official Athletic Site

Thanks to alford, Barta and the Licks', we get to see Michigan vs. Harvard on television and pay the network more if we want to see our own team on the live stream that is recorded with IA cameras.

I know it makes the Bigten more money with the way it is setup but this is lame. How come they can't show different Big ten games per regions in basketball like they do in football?

If you wanna leave big10 feedback here ya go
Contact Us - Big Ten Network

Fixed it for you.

I don't really care about my money lost watching it online. It's the quality, since it's not even recorded by Bigten but University cameras, and the fact that it does alienate the fan base. Less seats get filled in Carver when the games aren't even televised as its a way of advertising games.

Theres no way water polo brings in enough advertising dollars and yet they find ways of affording running that sometimes.

It's great that people outside of state of Iowa have easier access to games but things could definitly improve for Bigten Network. I'd rate it below any other broadcast company I've watched sports on. Well... maybe not Versus's but they show like 3 games a year.

I don't really care about my money lost watching it online. It's the quality, since it's not even recorded by Bigten but University cameras, and the fact that it does alienate the fan base. Less seats get filled in Carver when the games aren't even televised as its a way of advertising games.

Theres no way water polo brings in enough advertising dollars and yet they find ways of affording running that sometimes.

It's great that people outside of state of Iowa have easier access to games but things could definitly improve for Bigten Network. I'd rate it below any other broadcast company I've watched sports on. Well... maybe not Versus's but they show like 3 games a year.

That South Dakota State game was on the BTN. I wonder how effective that was at advertising games?

Do you really think the fan base is alienated by Iowa-Idaho State being only available streamed online? Drama queen much?

What bothers me is that BTN only has 2 bb games scheduled for the first saturday in December. Now, maybe Iowa wanted to schedule their Game with Idaho at 12:30...that seems completely ********,tho. Why not have the game at 4 oclock and then BTN could fit it in. Just seems like Iowa and BTN are intentionally trying to avoid scheduling the games at times that the BTN has no conflicts and could be shown. So tomorrow ,a saturday, the BTN has 2 whole live events shown from noon to 10 oclock? WTF? They could be showing 5 different big ten bb games in that timeframe,but no, we get Big Ten's Greatest Games from 1995 instead? Fail.

This is the way I see it: The games used to be on t.v. - now they are on streaming half the time. Streaming used to be free - now it's not. What's next? Higher prices and/or MORE games being streamed instead of televised?

Not to mention, the games that have been streamed this year, that people pay good money for, I have seen people post on here that their stream stopped working mid-game, or didn't work at all. And you are paying for nothing.

It's not the couple bucks that it costs that bothers me - it's the whole principle of the matter.

Everyone in this society has got your hand in your pocket, and they always want more. Gas prices are rising. Insurance (all types) prices are rising. Cable/Satellite prices are rising (every year). Grocery prices are rising. My salary.. Stays the same. No pay raises.

I might sound like a cheapskate old geezer here, but it's true - as time goes by, you pay more for less product everywhere you look. Enough is enough.

When the BTN could not reach an agreement with Mediascum, they told people to get a Dish. Thousands of people did. Now they sell the games to Mediascum. Thanks BTN.

Latest posts