Iowa v Ohio St

I would love to see this dual start at 141 so ramos would be the final match. Tony dumped oliver last and this year he dumps steiber. Hawks win this dual but only by 1, but that is all it takes

FIFY. Also, I'm hearing that Striebler may not wrestle tonite due to injury. That potentially makes 3 Buck starters who might not be competing (Striebler, Tessari, and Heflin).

I bet Striebler is faking it so he doesn't get beat by Ramos and therefore can stay undefeated and then get top seed at Nationals.

Definitely takes the excitement out of tonight's meet if both Steiber and Heflin are out. Was really looking forward to the Steiber vs Ramos match. Hopefully Tony destroy's whoever they send out.

I bet Striebler is faking it so he doesn't get beat by Ramos and therefore can stay undefeated and then get top seed at Nationals.
This makes even more sense, as he can still get the #1 seed at Bigten's and avoid both Graff and Ramos until the finals, making his path that much easier. History shows Ryan does this time and time again, it's pathetic. If he really is hurt, then I apologize, but it'll be interesting to see how fast he comes back after injury. Rankings and seeding should reflect that Steiber didn't wrestle and is hurt.

I can't stand watching Telford wrestle. What a bum.

Evans had a great match tonight, may have gotten a bit lucky with that stalling call but it is what it is.

St. John got lucky, plain and simple. Demas had that reversal.

My thoughts on things:

125: McD looked out of shape... lots of trouble on bottom. Anyone know if he had some persisting illness?
133: Nothing new with Ramos, dominant as usual. That couldn't have possibly been Ohio State's second best guy at the weight class though.
141: Ballweg is slow moving his feet, but I do like his scrambling ability.
149: Kelly looked good the second and third periods, but seemed a little out of control in the first which led to the loss. His aggression is much better this year, however.
157: Bad match by DSJ, imo that should've been a reversal with backpoints against him... he needs to do much more offensively!
165: Seems like this is the typical Nick Moore match. Needs to be more aggressive.
174: Wow! Evans is a gamer. Not much else to say. Probably should've been a pin at the end, too.
184: Lofty needs to shoot more and finish the shots he does take, but at this point in the meet it didn't matter much.
197: Great confidence builder for Burak. He looked great early on in the match. Hard to judge how well he held up down the stretch because the tOSU wrestler didn't really even try to take a shot.
Heavyweight: I'm not sure what to say. Telford didn't do squat until when he was down 2 in overtime.

Solid win. I'm really disappointed about Stieber not wrestling and instead sending out whoever was against Ramos... I thought they at least had Paddock or someone to give it a go.

I'm pretty much a fair weather wrestling fan but beating a top 5 school in one of the big 4 (m. basketball, w. bball, football, wrestling) is nice. I probably won't pay attention until the dual against Penn State but still, nice win.

tOSU 133 was a backup 125, not a true 133.

Those of you who predicted Burak getting majored must not have seen their freestyle match this past summer. Burak did the same thing in it. Got the Russian tie and worked off of that. He lost, but by a point or two I think. Still.....he shut down Camp pretty much the whole match.

Burak is making progress. Season isn't over for him by any means.

tOSU 133 was a backup 125, not a true 133.

Those of you who predicted Burak getting majored must not have seen their freestyle match this past summer. Burak did the same thing in it. Got the Russian tie and worked off of that. He lost, but by a point or two I think. Still.....he shut down Camp pretty much the whole match.

Burak is making progress. Season isn't over for him by any means.

Hope you're right Kwood. Brands keeps saying Burak hasn't been producing what he's capable of in matches. Tonight was maybe the start to fulfilling the coaching staff's expectations.

My thoughts on things:

125: McD looked out of shape... lots of trouble on bottom. Anyone know if he had some persisting illness?
133: Nothing new with Ramos, dominant as usual. That couldn't have possibly been Ohio State's second best guy at the weight class though.
141: Ballweg is slow moving his feet, but I do like his scrambling ability.
149: Kelly looked good the second and third periods, but seemed a little out of control in the first which led to the loss. His aggression is much better this year, however.
157: Bad match by DSJ, imo that should've been a reversal with backpoints against him... he needs to do much more offensively!
165: Seems like this is the typical Nick Moore match. Needs to be more aggressive.
174: Wow! Evans is a gamer. Not much else to say. Probably should've been a pin at the end, too.
184: Lofty needs to shoot more and finish the shots he does take, but at this point in the meet it didn't matter much.
197: Great confidence builder for Burak. He looked great early on in the match. Hard to judge how well he held up down the stretch because the tOSU wrestler didn't really even try to take a shot.
Heavyweight: I'm not sure what to say. Telford didn't do squat until when he was down 2 in overtime.

Solid win. I'm really disappointed about Stieber not wrestling and instead sending out whoever was against Ramos... I thought they at least had Paddock or someone to give it a go.

Was at the meet last night and agree with your analysis. Hawks have a long way to go if they are going to compete with Penn St. Way to much standing around and not much energy from DSJ, Nick Moore, EL, and Telford. Was very surprised how easily Triggas rode McD. Telford definitely has to pick it up or else he won't see the Podium at Nationals this year. Very happy with Burak's win and thought Evans did exactly what was required to keep himself in a position to win. Just would like to see more action/energy out of the Hawks in their remaining duals especially when it comes to initiating and finishing take downs.

Hope you're right Kwood. Brands keeps saying Burak hasn't been producing what he's capable of in matches. Tonight was maybe the start to fulfilling the coaching staff's expectations.

Can't remember for sure...seems like it was Luke L. or Liras' dad who told me when we were talking down at Kaufman Brands Tournament how well Burak was doing in the room and just needed for it to transfer over to the duals. His matches all look pretty much the same. A number of 1 and 2 point losses that woulda, coulda, shoulda been turned into wins with more experience. He lost 1-0 to Haynes of Missouri down at Lindenwood and got caught for a pin at Bucknell. Been in most of his matches and is getting great experience and showing improvement all along. Still plenty of time for growth between now and Big Tens and NCAA.

yeah wasn't a great dual for the hawks. i'm not sure if it's the type of guy they recruit or the way they train or a combination or something else, but they just look very unathletic on their feet. Not explosive and just kind of plodding. up and down the line up. Good thing was they found a way to get it done. Tom Ryan can not be happy, Iowa looked flat but tOSU looked even worse. it was a good win for Burak but to me that match said more about Camp. he looks lifeless, like he doesn't even care. I've heard he can be a big head case, showed it last night. I thought the coaching staff dropped the ball w/ Kelly. i thought he should've cut him for sure. Tassari was on his heels big time after that take down and w/ a minute left there was plenty of time to get another takedown, but that's a lot of time to ride him. especially since even if he rode him out, he still would've had to get a TD in overtime. idk, i thought they really dropped the ball w/ him getting a good win.
Not having the Ramos vs Steiber matchup took a lot of luster out of the dual. obviously that was the match everyone wanted to see. but i totally disagree with people who thing they held him out to protect some seed at big tens. i think that is ludicrous to think they'd hold him out so he wouldn't have to wrestle tyler graff

Tom was fired up after the dual that's for sure. good thing is i know he and the staff are going to bust their *** to get it turned in the right direction. Hopefully we see a sharper team for Okie state in a week or so.

Latest posts