Iowa v Northern Illinois Prediction Thread

MeatMan

Less than a week away, might as well get this one going! Don't just predict the score, also guess the first play or something off the wall.

Iowa 23 - N Illinois 13

I'm guessing first play from scrimmage is Weisman running outside zone to the left right behind Scherff. Goes for 8 yards and that exact play is repeated at least a dozen times during the game.

edit: i also think Iowa isn't going to "show" much in this game unless they have to.

Last edited:
I think Iowa will be fired up early and look to make a statement. I think Iowa will be up 7-10 at the half and win by 14-20 points.

I'll settle on 34-17.

Less than a week away, might as well get this one going! Don't just predict the score, also guess the first play or something off the wall.

Iowa 23 - N Illinois 13

I'm guessing first play from scrimmage is Weisman running outside zone to the left right behind Scherff. Goes for 8 yards and that exact play is repeated at least a dozen times during the game.

edit: i also think Iowa isn't going to "show" much in this game unless they have to.
I think 24-20 Iowa, but we won't have the luxury of "not showing much".

70 - 17 Iowa wins. Hawks put up almost half the total TD's of last year in the first game. Greg Davis is given the key to the city. I get extremely sun burnt and feel like crap for a week.

I kid I kid. More like 27-24 Hawks pull it out at the end .

I think the game will start with Iowa working to establish the run, which they will be successful with. Much like what was mentioned by MeatMan, Weisman will run a zone read play for a gain of about 4 to 5 yards. Iowa will hit a big play-action play in the first drive to get them in field goal range which is what they will have to settle for on that drive. I think Northern Ill. will have some early success moving the ball, but as the game grinds on Iowa will start winning the line of scrimmage and pull away towards the middle to end of the 3rd quarter. Game will feel in hand by 10:00 minute mark of 4th quarter. Iowa will look noticeably better than a year ago. Iowa will also seem like the better team throughout unlike last year when Northern Ill played like the better team for the majority of the game.

IOWA - 180 yards rushing...215 yards passing
Northern Ill - 135 yards rushing...160 yards passing

Iowa 13 - Northern Ill 6 HALFTIME
Iowa 30 - Northern Ill 16 FINAL (Northern will get a late field goal to make it this score.)

Iowa comes out slow as has been the history with the team. Make it to mid field before failing to convert a 3rd and 12. 1st play is a jet sweep for 5-7 yards.

Final is Iowa 24-17 in a rather stale game.

Iowa comes out slow as has been the history with the team. Make it to mid field before failing to convert a 3rd and 12. 1st play is a jet sweep for 5-7 yards.

Final is Iowa 24-17 in a rather stale game.

while 24-17 might be considered a "stale" game to the nation at large, that would be very nerve-wracking for me!

I see a grid it out game with lots of stalled out drives for both teams. More field goals than touchdowns final score 15-13 Iowa wins and that's all that matters.

24-16. Bend but don't break... 1 passing TD and 3 field goals despite lots of yardage for NIU.

We run...run...and run. One Weisman TD, One receiving TD by a RB out of the backfield or in the slot. And a defensive or special teams TD.

NIU has one last possession but the drive stalls. Kirk gets to call his favorite play... the kneel down.

Iowa 36 NIU 27 Iowa's running game takes charge late in the third quarter and on into the fourth as Iowa pulls away from what was a close game going into the third quarter.

I predict Kirk claps 132 times, chews his gum 292 times, and makes notes in his pad at 52 times, but Hawks roll 27-10...:)

Iowa wins 34-20... with Rudock throwing for 240, team rushing like 170. Iowa is down 10-7 in early going before taking full control of game in 2nd qtr. D gives up early TD and a late TD in 4th (possibly due to KF making some poor clock mgmt decision). The sweltering heat will have Kinnick smelling like a hog roast by halftime.

27-17. Weisman runs all over the NIU defense. 22 carries, 158 yards, 2 tds.

First play for the defense, Lynch runs zone read and gets blown up by Hitchens.

First play for the offense, play action to CJF in the flat for 12 yards. Second play... see MeatMan, Weisman.

Latest posts