Iowa v N Illinois Two Deep

If OTT is good and stays healthy then 3 years from now we wont worry about a few games he played his freshman year. If the hawks are on an uptick and keep getting good players there will be guys waiting to take over or even beat out OTT.

Am I the only one that every time I hear Ott's name, I follow it up with "and Gil Hodges" in my best Archie Graham voice?

He has been a part of the team for 3 weeks. Two deeps contain some rewards for program players, but playing time is earned. I bet that Powell is one of top 4 WR in reps against NIU.

Shumpert has supposedly been tearing it up in practice.

This. Of all the positions WR is the one that by far matters the least when looking at the two deeps. Not saying that Powell will see a ton of action vs NIU but the fact that he isn't listed on the two deep matters very little.

It's all about the packages they run and who is in those groupings.

Am I the only one that every time I hear Ott's name, I follow it up with "and Gil Hodges" in my best Archie Graham voice?

and ty cobb wanted to play but none of us could stand the son of a ***** when we were alive so we told him to stick it!

Grats Don Shumpert this is the most pleasant surprise I have seen all year. Most people anticipated him moving down the chart but he had moved up by improving his techniques and putting his natural talent to use.

I have been really upbeat about this coming season and the future as I think we have some underlying talent. I must say though I am concerned with the initial two deeps. I will vent here but will trust the coaches. There had better be a phenomenal effort against NIU as this is a statement game on many levels.

My concern is starting the best 22. I cannot believe that Jordan Cotton is not ahead of Shupmert. Cotton was a bright spot last season while Shumpert was dropping passes at critical times and ended up 8th string. I am also surprised that Smith is behind him and Powell is not listed in the two deeps??? Give me a huge break. I'll take Cotton, Smith, Powell and Manley over any of the rest. Haluska might be my 5th. Get the playmakers on the field.

On the o-line how is Donnal not a starter ahead of Walsh! Walsh looks better this year but Donnal is a stud. Dang I want the biggest and nastiest starting five out there and go after an opponent.

On defense how is Faith not in the two deeps at DE? How can Law not earn a spot and where is Draper? If anyone should have been challenged back there it should have been the free safety. This secondary really has the four best of what we have in this program?

Maybe some of these guys are injured?

Was he just blind before or rolling like this?
ricky-vaughn-tale.jpg

You beat me to it. I'm skeptical that his problem was just eyesight. If so I hope yearly eye exams are now mandatory.

My thoughts:

Walsh really must have come on because Donnal had a nice year last year, unless he still isn't 100%.

Haven't heard much of all about Canzeri in camp, I would expect Leshun to get touches before him.

I expected Venckus (sp?) to appear along the d line.

Surprised Lowdermilk is ahead of Law. Obviously all mental with Law.

You beat me to it. I'm skeptical that his problem was just eyesight. If so I hope yearly eye exams are now mandatory.

I have a hard time believing a guy can go through 3 years of college and the medical scrutiny given football players and only find out he needs glasses/contacts by the time he's a Senior.

I have a hard time believing a guy can go through 3 years of college and the medical scrutiny given football players and only find out he needs glasses/contacts by the time he's a Senior.

Agree 1000%. Help me out here. Did anyone see Shumpert catch a ball and make a big play in any of the open practices or spring game because I do not? I do recall big plays and TD catches by Powell, Cotton and Smith but Shumpert comes out as number 1? Give me a break.

This and a few other position battles are the number one reason why we struggle on the field and struggle at times to recruit. Big time players make big time plays when it counts. KF loves trying to find the next 'story' and on occasion it has worked but for every story there have been a bunch of busts. How can we recruit playmakers when the word gets out that after producing you get beat out by a guy that huge drops the year before and made no plays when it mattered (in front of people).

Some on this thread are going nuts over Shumpert's speed. Have you checked out Cotton and Powell recently and they catch and make plays.

You win games by putting out your best 22 on the field regardless of time in the program.

I went from optimistic to worried.

Agree 1000%. Help me out here. Did anyone see Shumpert catch a ball and make a big play in any of the open practices or spring game because I do not? I do recall big plays and TD catches by Powell, Cotton and Smith but Shumpert comes out as number 1? Give me a break.

This and a few other position battles are the number one reason why we struggle on the field and struggle at times to recruit. Big time players make big time plays when it counts. KF loves trying to find the next 'story' and on occasion it has worked but for every story there have been a bunch of busts. How can we recruit playmakers when the word gets out that after producing you get beat out by a guy that huge drops the year before and made no plays when it mattered (in front of people).

Some on this thread are going nuts over Shumpert's speed. Have you checked out Cotton and Powell recently and they catch and make plays.

You win games by putting out your best 22 on the field regardless of time in the program.

I went from optimistic to worried.

All this from a SR winning a "depth chart" battle? I mean common, DJK was frequently off the "depth charts" and he still was the #1 WR.

All this from a SR winning a "depth chart" battle? I mean common, DJK was frequently off the "depth charts" and he still was the #1 WR.

You do not get it. If this guy is in the two deeps and a starter no less then our talent evaluations have not changed. If the depth chart is meaningless and just a game then why is the number one free safety listed. He is one of several players that are currently listed as starters that played very poorly last year. If anyone deserves to be beat out it is him.

I get it if you want to reward a senior but you can spot him a play here or there but not make him your number 1. Reward your playmakers and a guy that actually made some plays on a terrible team last year in Cotton. Keep in mind he is a senior also. You cannot tell me Cotton is not a better player than Shumpert. That has already been proven on the field.

I am not just upset about Shumpert there are other spots as well. Donnal should be starting next to Scherff instead of Walsh. That is a disappointment.

Keep in mind that after the debacle of last year a lot is riding on the play of this team this year. We have a huge opportunity to set the tone for the year against a really good team on game one. I want the best 22 in this program on the field... Not charity cases.

You do not get it. If this guy is in the two deeps and a starter no less then our talent evaluations have not changed. If the depth chart is meaningless and just a game then why is the number one free safety listed. He is one of several players that are currently listed as starters that played very poorly last year. If anyone deserves to be beat out it is him.

I get it if you want to reward a senior but you can spot him a play here or there but not make him your number 1. Reward your playmakers and a guy that actually made some plays on a terrible team last year in Cotton. Keep in mind he is a senior also. You cannot tell me Cotton is not a better player than Shumpert. That has already been proven on the field.

I am not just upset about Shumpert there are other spots as well. Donnal should be starting next to Scherff instead of Walsh. That is a disappointment.

Keep in mind that after the debacle of last year a lot is riding on the play of this team this year. We have a huge opportunity to set the tone for the year against a really good team on game one. I want the best 22 in this program on the field... Not charity cases.

So you think that being a starter at wr matters (it is about packages). Walsh btw was a highly regarded recruit why is it so hard to believe he won the position? Donnal might not be 100%. Maybe someone should be mad Macmillan isn't starting he did as a frosh and is as skilled as anyone. Some want cotton over shumpert that is laughable both have drop issues. Miller has played poorly at times but no one behind him has shown anything to beat him out. People get mad about law but it seems lowdermilk has shown some good things and people forget how athletic he is. KMM is listed as a starting wr and he is but I would bet he will play mostly in the slot and we will employ 3 wrs more than use a FB. People read too much into a depth chart. I would bet no matter which lineman gets hurt outside of center that Donnal would be the guy that goes in. The only spot that really is telling is QB. And even that is up for grabs. I am more surprised by beathard and Sokol being co #2. I figured beathard would be further behind. Then some things I have read make it seem like he is ahead of Sokol but the depth chart shows them as even.

jeez, getting a litle worked up over a depth chart aren't we? wasn't paki listed as a starter a few times? i also find it comical that you say walsh has been better than donnal this year, but are still mad he's listed as the starter.

probably shouldn't put so much stock into a preseason depth chart or 2 scrimmages

jeez, getting a litle worked up over a depth chart aren't we? wasn't paki listed as a starter a few times? i also find it comical that you say walsh has been better than donnal this year, but are still mad he's listed as the starter.

probably shouldn't put so much stock into a preseason depth chart or 2 scrimmages

This was my point as well.

You are complaining about 3 positions. WR isn't going to matter. The better players will play the most plays. If Shumpert has earned a starting spot during practice, what is Kennedy supposed to do, sit him behind someone else who hasn't practiced as well?

Same thing with Walsh and Donnal. If Walsh has earned the spot, then play him, he isn't being rewarded because he is a 5th year SR like you b!tched about with Shumpert, but rather a young player who obviously must be playing at a high level to beat out other players.

So you think that being a starter at wr matters (it is about packages). Walsh btw was a highly regarded recruit why is it so hard to believe he won the position? Donnal might not be 100%. Maybe someone should be mad Macmillan isn't starting he did as a frosh and is as skilled as anyone. Some want cotton over shumpert that is laughable both have drop issues. Miller has played poorly at times but no one behind him has shown anything to beat him out. People get mad about law but it seems lowdermilk has shown some good things and people forget how athletic he is. KMM is listed as a starting wr and he is but I would bet he will play mostly in the slot and we will employ 3 wrs more than use a FB. People read too much into a depth chart. I would bet no matter which lineman gets hurt outside of center that Donnal would be the guy that goes in. The only spot that really is telling is QB. And even that is up for grabs. I am more surprised by beathard and Sokol being co #2. I figured beathard would be further behind. Then some things I have read make it seem like he is ahead of Sokol but the depth chart shows them as even.

You can justify anything and please go on justifying guys that do not produce when the lights are on but I want the following guys on the field. I actually want to win some games not play favorites and underdogs.

Here are some of the guys I want to see in any combination or package...

WR's Powell, Cotton, Smith and Manley in any combination or package. Love Willies and AJ Jones but they will probably RS. Would like to see Haluska and McCarron in spot duty.

TE's. CJ, Hamilton and Duzey in any combination or package

O-lineman...the best, biggest and meanest 5 we have; Scherff, Van Sloten, Donnal, Boffeli and the next bet whomever that is Walsh, Blythe, Ward, etc.

QB. I do not know here yet but I did like what Sokol was able to show

RB's Weismann, Canzeri, Daniels/Malloy and Bullock(passing downs?)

D-Line Faith, Davis, Cooper and Alvis... Then rotate others in like LTP, Jaleel, Ott, etc.

LB's. The 3 seniors but Kirksey and Morris need to tackle someone this year otherwise I am going to Alston or the next best. Love the spearman kid but he may not be ready.

DB's. Lowrey, Lomax, Law and Draper.... Then next best for nickel and dime packages;

Latest posts