Iowa State Recruiting Areas

I get sick of people posing to be something they're not.

Wouldn't surprise me if you posted on an isu board with a different screen name.

I guess only Jon might know since he works with the developers that manage both boards....

I honestly don't even know if this is serious or not... I am sorry that the topic is too complex for you. I am not from Iowa but I did go to Iowa. Thus I do not give a crap about that school outside of two days a year. The only time I have cheered for ISU was when they played Nebraska, but I also do that for every team Nebraska plays.

The amount of Iowa/ISU junk that fills up this message board is incredibly annoying. The Iowa fans are almost as bad as the ISU fans. I still find it hard to believe that grown people say things like cyclowns.

http://nationalhoopsreport.net/2011/05/09/just-a-minute-may-9/
Here are my two cents on this. It is my honest opinion that Iowa does not need to go East. It has been a good thing to see Iowa get back home and back to some older recruiting areas like Michigan. Also, I love the fact that the staff is hitting the Atlanta area, lots of very good players that rarely stay home, or in-state for that matter.
Moving forward if Iowa can stay away from Indiana, it will be a blessing...oh yeah, forget Minnesota unless one can pluck Tyus Jones...there hasn't been too much luck in those states since Davis has left. I am going to hold my thought on Ohio hoping Aaron White becomes the player that he is capable of being.
One state and not area it would be nice to see Iowa get back to is Illinois...not saying just Chicago here, the state of Illinois, there are a lot of good players outside the Chicago area and in that area that are undervalued and become great mid-major players with supreme athleticism.
Seeing what the staff has done to date; one has to be impressed. The talent has been upgraded as well as the athleticism of this team. Iowa is bringing in Top 100 kids as well as some developmental players, how the latter develop is what makes or breaks a program. It has been a while since a lower rated player that Iowa has gotten has really developed into a player, pre Fran era.

Thanks for the on topic reply. I know you love your Michigan boys because you coach there, but I just worry that Michigan State, OSU, and Michigan get their pickings of the legit players and leave the scraps for everyone else. There is a reason that the MAC has been god awful the past decade to a point where Bradley can hire away the best coach in the conference.

In regard to the GA pipeline I am also intrigued there. The thing that sticks in my mind was an article that came out when UCLA hired the AAU coach from the ATL area about how GA players who leave the Southeast transfer home at an astonishing rate. I cannot find the article right now and will edit if I can find it. They actually pointed to Chris Allen as a success. He was one of the few players who left the area and didn't transfer back. I had a laugh at that due to the ISU connection. That said, I am all for Fran using the connections down there to get as many talented players as he sees fit.

For whatever reason Iowa has not had a "Chicago guy" on the past two staffs and I agree with everyone there that I would love to see Iowa take some more players out of the area.

I just figured Fran and Francis had some deep connections with the East Coast where they could mine some potential A-10 all stars to the Big Ten. I like every other Hawk fan just want to see Fran get the best players possible wherever they may be, I just thought it was going to happen in a different way. I enjoy talking basketball which was the point of the thread. Not to start a flame war.

http://nationalhoopsreport.net/2011/05/09/just-a-minute-may-9/ See about half way down the article.

Last edited:
I think it is to early to tell. This class is weird because you have two such highly talented in state kids that Fran basically had to have to keep the fan base hopefull (and because of the ratings obviously). I agree with you Jay about the East Coast connection as a Fran stomping ground. Im not sure on 2013 recruit states but even plucking someone away from the East coast this year might have been unrealistic expectations, given Frans short time here. I will stop now, holy run on sentences.

Everyone knows that it only matters when the team you cheer for is higher! Your class sucks = "Stars don't matter"
Your class is hyped (over, usually) = well our class was rated higher than yours!

Stop talking sense around here you're ruining my fun game!

booya.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! nice work

I could give a lick about where the mayor flashes his stellar NBA resume. Far more impressed by the fact that Fran has been able to recruit and sign talented kids who are buying into his program and want to play at Iowa. In the long run I think that will pay higher dividends than trying to assemble a squad of cast-offs, misfits and athletes recruited from far-away urban areas.

They're such gansta-thugs that they managed to set a new ISU MBB record for the best combined GPA (+3.0) over the spring semester. It really sucks to have these kinds of kids represent your school. :rolleyes:

They're such gansta-thugs that they managed to set a new ISU MBB record for the best combined GPA (+3.0) over the spring semester. It really sucks to have these kinds of kids represent your school. :rolleyes:

Let's see how it plays out over time.

Thanks for the on topic reply. I know you love your Michigan boys because you coach there, but I just worry that Michigan State, OSU, and Michigan get their pickings of the legit players and leave the scraps for everyone else. There is a reason that the MAC has been god awful the past decade to a point where Bradley can hire away the best coach in the conference.

In regard to the GA pipeline I am also intrigued there. The thing that sticks in my mind was an article that came out when UCLA hired the AAU coach from the ATL area about how GA players who leave the Southeast transfer home at an astonishing rate. I cannot find the article right now and will edit if I can find it. They actually pointed to Chris Allen as a success. He was one of the few players who left the area and didn't transfer back. I had a laugh at that due to the ISU connection. That said, I am all for Fran using the connections down there to get as many talented players as he sees fit.

For whatever reason Iowa has not had a "Chicago guy" on the past two staffs and I agree with everyone there that I would love to see Iowa take some more players out of the area.

I just figured Fran and Francis had some deep connections with the East Coast where they could mine some potential A-10 all stars to the Big Ten. I like every other Hawk fan just want to see Fran get the best players possible wherever they may be, I just thought it was going to happen in a different way. I enjoy talking basketball which was the point of the thread. Not to start a flame war.

Just a Minute: May 9 See about half way down the article.

1. I do live and coach in Michigan, but I coach Volleyball, just try and keep tabs on basketball more now since we have went to the Fall and girls basketball is now in the Winter. In the last few years Iowa has had interest from a lot of Michigan kids early...like Trey McDonald, Patrick Lucas-Perry, Percy Gibson, Carlton Brundidge, Al Horford, Jon Horford and others. With the state of the program it is no wonder they went elsewhere at the time. There is talent, but some issues with kids here, especially in the Detroit area is grades and being general trouble. I think the most overrated kid in the state for some time has been Amir Williams, I believe there is a reason why Duke looked at him for about a second and went a different direction. I think McDonald will be the better player in the end at OSU.

2. With his transfer to ISU he actually went further from Georgia, kind of ironic.

3. That is an intriguing statement because I think a lot of people probably felt this way. I have said for some time that if you are taking recruits away from A-10 schools, that isn't a bad thing. It is somewhat curious not seeing more kids come this way, it isn't like Iowa hasn't tried. They went after Kamari Murphy, who eventually went to Oklahoma State, not a surprise with the other kids that are going there as well. I do think that if Iowa were to be able to get there, it will be after some level of success, that may get kids to take notice. The mindset now may be why go there and just lose? I don't think that the East Coast is out of the question, long-term.

Latest posts