Iowa State Over/Under

way under
I'd bet the under on 6 regular season wins, but just barely.

Iowa State's best win streak ever was 8 wins in each of 76, 77, 78.

Since then (39 seasons):
One 9 win season in 2000
One 8 win season in 2017
Five 7 win seasons in 01, 02, 04, 05, 09
Five 6 win seasons in 80, 86, 89, 11, 12
Four 5 win season in 81, 85, 88, 10
Six 4 win seasons in 82, 83, 90, 92, 99, 06
Ten 3 win seasons in 79, 87, 91, 93, 95, 98, 07, 13, 15, 16
Five 2 win seasons in 84, 96, 03, 08, 14
One 1 win season in 97
One 0 win season in 94

Ten 3 win seasons!! LMAO.

Not even seeing a bowl in Clowns' future. Should lightning strike and they get invited, it will be one of the very first on the schedule. Your TV will need rabbit ears to get it.

giphy.gif

Yep that would be like playing a weak team in New York and freezing your azz off.

Yep that would be like playing a weak team in New York and freezing your azz off.
That would require them to play ball in a real conference where Kansas doesn't give them a free win every year. Now if we can just get back to the days when Iowa State is a free win for us all will be well.

Unlike Illinois which really brings it.
Excluding Kansas's 2007 season Illinois is a vastly more successful team over the last 15 years. It's also relevant that Iowa State plays Kansas every year. Iowa only began always playing Illinois in the modern era under the current conference alignment, and even then we still beat Illinois more consistently than Iowa State beats Kansas.

ISU's win total is 6.5 games. They open Big 12 play vs Oklahoma, TCU and Oklahoma state (think: 0-3).

They might make a bowl game but it won't be a good one

I must be the lone Iowa fan that see this differently for both Iowa & ISU.

First ISU won 8 last year and has the bulk of that team returning. They could easily beat us and have done so in the past with way less talent (like 2 win team talent). Next the Big12 is arguably in the weakest overall state from a player perspective of any of the power 5 leagues. Despite having the number 1 overall draft pick last year and future NFL bust (can’t believe he went first) in Mayfield they have had very few drafted players in comparison to the power 5 leagues. The league is down talent wise and ISU is up talent wise for themselves historically. That’s a perfect storm for winning a lot of league games. Who is any good in that league? Texas or Oklahoma? Really? Oklahoma has no Baker and the new coach is not out of the stoops recruiting just yet. OK State lost a ton. KSU has a near corpse for a head coach. TCU is solid but not great. WVU? Unlikely. How can you not make hay in this league now?

Iowa on the other hand you can pencil in 6-7 wins but many seasons it’s unlikely we go much beyond that. We eeked out 8 with 3 drafted players in Jackson, Jewell and Daniels and the big play ability of Wadley. All of that is gone. There’s some good pieces but I see a typical KF team with holes / questions that will likely cost us games.

I’d bet on ISU well exceeding 6.5 and Iowa at 7.

They still have to replace 2 WR, 2 OL, 2 Safeties, and Lanning. A lot of experience is now gone for them.

I’d bet on ISU well exceeding 6.5 and Iowa at 7.

I think I'm in between here. I'd definitely be happy with 7 wins. As others have pointed out the early season schedule is very front loaded. Getting out of that healthy or with a winning record would be a very good job. The talent in the Big 12, especially the QB talent, took a major hit, but it's not like ISU is overtaking other teams right now on overall talent.

As for ISU's losses, I really think Lazard, Lanning, and Cotton-Moya are the big losses. Everybody else should be able to match the production and potentially see improvement in other areas.

Iowa State: 5-8 (6 or 7 most likely)
Iowa: 7-10 wins (8 or 9 most likely)

Yawn!!!

Iowa State is a program on the rise. Their coach has made strides since arriving and their administration has finally figured it out that paying a good coach to stay will only make them better.

On the East side of the state is mediocrity with a spirit of 7-5 contentment with lip service given to competing for a division title and playing in the B1G title game. It will always be lip service until the staff challenges THEMSELVES to make continuos improvement in offensive schemes and recruiting. That has not been happening as it just the same ole, same ole. A drunk fan base that’s ok with that just as long as we beat ISU most seasons and upset Michigan or Ohio State once in awhile and settle in at our normal 7-5 season. The coach and AD keep getting their million dollar salary so why would they give a damn.

The only hope is if Brian will rise above this mellow mindset and bring the offense to a higher level of performance. If he doesn’t then those of us who are tired of this mediocrity are just screwed as loyal Iowa fans. What a feckless (indifferent) fan base that would find this acceptable. I think of Gable and his champion mindset who would never ever accept such a pathetic mindset.

Loyalty is suppose to be a two way street. The Iowa fans have showed their part of the deal and have continuously supported Kirk for many years. It’s time for Kirk to do his part (other than carrying his pay check to the bank with a fork lift) and start to improve upon his performance by making the improvements necessary to lift this program a LITTLE higher. I just don’t see it. Where are there any signs or indications that the program is going in an upward trajectory? Nope, looks like a flat liner to me. Which apparently for many fans is just fine.

The thought of Brian taking over and keeping the status quo is mind boggling. Where is the championship spirit in hawkeyeland? The spirit of competition demands more than this.

We have a favorable schedule this upcoming season and a better than average Iowa quarterback behind what should be a very good offensive line. Hopefully the combination of the two along with Brian having a year under his belt will reap better results. What I want is what is normal for fans to expect with an established coaching staff, new facilities, and a supportive fans base.

Last edited:
Yawn!!!

Iowa State is a program on the rise. Their coach has made strides since arriving and their administration has finally figured it out that paying a good coach to stay will only make them better.

On the East side of the state is mediocrity with a spirit of 7-5 contentment with lip service given to competing for a division title and playing in the B1G title game. It will always be lip service until the staff challenges THEMSELVES to make continuos improvement in offensive schemes and recruiting. That has not been happening as it just the same ole, same ole. A drunk fan base that’s ok with that just as long as we beat ISU most seasons and upset Michigan or Ohio State once in awhile and settle in at our normal 7-5 season. The coach and AD keep getting their million dollar salary so why would they give a damn.

The only hope is if Brian will rise above this mellow mindset and bring the offense to a higher level of performance. If he doesn’t then those of us who are tired of this mediocrity are just screwed as loyal Iowa fans. What a feckless (indifferent) fan base that would find this acceptable. I think of Gable and his champion mindset who would never ever accept such a pathetic mindset.

Loyalty is suppose to be a two way street. The Iowa fans have showed their part of the deal and have continuously supported Kirk for many years. It’s time for Kirk to do his part (other than carrying his pay check to the bank with a fork lift) and start to improve upon his performance by making the improvements necessary to lift this program a LITTLE higher. I just don’t see it. Where are there any signs or indications that the program is going in an upward trajectory? Nope, looks like a flat liner to me. Which apparently for many fans is just fine.

The thought of Brian taking over and keeping the status quo is mind boggling. Where is the championship spirit in hawkeyeland? The spirit of competition demands more than this.

We have a favorable schedule this upcoming season and a better than average Iowa quarterback behind what should be a very good offensive line. Hopefully the combination of the two along with Brian having a year under his belt will reap better results. What I want is what is normal for fans to expect with an established coaching staff, new facilities, and a supportive fans base.

I remember when Kirk would have more successful seasons than he's had recently yet lose to ISU quite often. Fans ripped him for not caring enough about the in-state rivalry. Now, he's won that game most of the time recently and the same fans say he's putting too much emphasis on it. To an extent, Kirk just can't win with some fans.

I remember when Kirk would have more successful seasons than he's had recently yet lose to ISU quite often. Fans ripped him for not caring enough about the in-state rivalry. Now, he's won that game most of the time recently and the same fans say he's putting too much emphasis on it. To an extent, Kirk just can't win with some fans.

You probably have a point when it comes to Iowa State.

I am looking at the progress of the program. If Kirk was trying different things on offense then you can’t fault a coach for trying, however that doesn’t APPEAR to be the case. I emphasize “appear” as I am not in the planning part of the offensive schemes. It can’t be argued that the offense is too predictable when the QB comes up and audibles into running plays 99% of the time. I mean really??? Every reasonable person knows that it benefits you to keep the defense off balance. It increases the odds in your favor when they can’t stack the box against you. This is offensive strategy 101. Every time our QB does this he might as well come up to the line and shout to the defense “Hey guys we are running the ball. Let’s see if you can stop us!” :rolleyes:

ISU only returns 12 starters which would be 50% not a majority, and they lose Lazard, their kicker and punter, Cotton-Moya, and a few other key pieces.

You probably have a point when it comes to Iowa State.

I am looking at the progress of the program. If Kirk was trying different things on offense then you can’t fault a coach for trying, however that doesn’t APPEAR to be the case. I emphasize “appear” as I am not in the planning part of the offensive schemes. It can’t be argued that the offense is too predictable when the QB comes up and audibles into running plays 99% of the time. I mean really??? Every reasonable person knows that it benefits you to keep the defense off balance. It increases the odds in your favor when they can’t stack the box against you. This is offensive strategy 101. Every time our QB does this he might as well come up to the line and shout to the defense “Hey guys we are running the ball. Let’s see if you can stop us!” :rolleyes:

Totally agree with your audible point. It's like Kirk thinks this is 6th grade level football how he trusts the QB to audible only into a run play each and every time.