Iowa State Is A Tire Fire

Lute's last Iowa game was a regional semifinal loss in Kansas City.

He didn't even come back to Iowa with the team. He flew straight to Tuscon. It was spring break and many Iowan's were at the hotel Lute checked into and it didn't take long for him to get recognized.

The Des Moines Register soon caught wind of it, a simple third page headline "Report: Olson to Arizona". Next day it was front page news across the state.
He was interviewed on-site after the loss. Didn't AZ win 3 games the year before he got there? What a risk. Tuscon is interesting. Love the national park there, but the city is a bit dusty. Campus is nice overall.

And just like that Ketch and Must pulls a game out of their arse yesterday, which really saved their bacon.

This is the most perfectly timed post I've ever seen. Immediately afterward, Iowa lost to Nebraska and Ohio State, and ISU went back-to-back on #7 Baylor.

Last edited:
This is the most perfectly timed post I've ever seen. Immediately afterward, Iowa lost to Nebraska and Ohio State, and ISU went back-to-back on #7 Baylor.
Iowa State is still a tire fire. Nothing has changed. There it is again with the little brother mentality...your team sucks ass and you can't help but worry about us. You should start charging rent for all the space we occupy in your heads.

Personally, I was really happy to see Drake and Iowa State make the tourney. It should help both schools shore up the deficits in their athletic budgets, and I think it is super awesome that the NCAA continues to allow lesser conferences to have representation in the tourney. I saw that Morningside made the NAIA tourney as well. It is so great to see schools like Drake, Simpson, Iowa State, Buena Vista and Coe doing so well in athletics. The Hawkeye State is doing great!!!

Personally, I was really happy to see Drake and Iowa State make the tourney. It should help both schools shore up the deficits in their athletic budgets, and I think it is super awesome that the NCAA continues to allow lesser conferences to have representation in the tourney. I saw that Morningside made the NAIA tourney as well. It is so great to see schools like Drake, Simpson, Iowa State, Buena Vista and Coe doing so well in athletics. The Hawkeye State is doing great!!!
I dunno, BV sucks ass at pretty much everything but baseball.

I dunno, BV sucks ass at pretty much everything but baseball.
I honestly had no idea if BV was still operating. I came up with a list of Iowa colleges I could think of off the top of my head that are on par with Iowa State's athletic department. It may have been unfair to include Drake.

Iowa State is still a tire fire. Nothing has changed. There it is again with the little brother mentality...your team sucks ass and you can't help but worry about us. You should start charging rent for all the space we occupy in your heads.
It just gets better and better. "nothing has changed"? Oops! And, by the way, you're the one who started this thread. Who's living rent free in who's head?

This post didn't age too well. Iowa State had the worst offensive performance that I've ever seen in an NCAA Tournament game. "Tire Fire" is too kind.

Call in the EPA, the Tire Fire is out of control!! 41 points? Seriously?

This post didn't age too well. Iowa State had the worst offensive performance that I've ever seen in an NCAA Tournament game. "Tire Fire" is too kind.

Call in the EPA, the Tire Fire is out of control!! 41 points? Seriously?
You know it, Hayden. This fire was more like poop in a paper bag.

Can we just take a moment and reflect on the hot garbage that is ISU basketball (and football for that matter)?

We’ve gotten away from our roots and haven’t done a good job of pointing out the shit sammich going on in Lames.

Losing record in their league, lost to Joke-lahoma, had a 10 PPG player just get kicked off the team for shoving a dude in front of a ref, and as we speak their fans are melting down on CryFan about how Connor is worse and never gets T’s and how Fran is the worst coach ever and if he were in the Big 12 he’d have gotten banned from basketball…

And then some uber pathetic fans are even saying out loud that they wish they had a coach like Fran who’d stick up for players and take T’s himself so players didn’t have to fight those battles. Imagine being that sorry of a person to wish you had your hated rival’s coach.

Suck it, clones.

Oh and your last place football team is trash, too. Should’ve made Dekkers a TE, but then again you Rubes aren’t as smart as Iowa coaches.
You can add on ISU 149lb wrestler. Dude was talking some major trash after his Big 12 title win. Said he guaranteed winning the National Championship and not losing again.

Dude get smoked in the 2nd round by a 12 seed. Loses his next match in consolations to get eliminated from the tourny.

You can add on ISU 149lb wrestler. Dude was talking some major trash after his Big 12 title win. Said he guaranteed winning the National Championship and not losing again.

Dude get smoked in the 2nd round by a 12 seed. Loses his next match in consolations to get eliminated from the tourny.
Classic clone. Talk talk talk...and then piss down your leg.

In the context of being hired as a college basketball head coach taking over a complete rebuild, yes, I think so.
So why did St. John's hire 70 year old Rick Pitino? They are definitely in a complete rebuild - haven't made the NCAA tourney since 2014.

So why did St. John's hire 70 year old Rick Pitino? They are definitely in a complete rebuild - haven't made the NCAA tourney since 2014.

I think it's an absolutely awful hire, but St. Johns probably feels like they need to make some kind of huge splash.

I guess exceptions are made for guys who have two national championships, 7 final fours, 6 conference championships. It's come out since that Fran was never a candidate for ND.

I think it's an absolutely awful hire, but St. Johns probably feels like they need to make some kind of huge splash.

I guess exceptions are made for guys who have two national championships, 7 final fours, 6 conference championships. It's come out since that Fran was never a candidate for ND.
Didn't think so. Surprised Barta didn't extend him anyway. That guy couldn't beat a 6 year old in a game of checkers...much less "play poker" with an agent.

Thanks. I want you to know that I'm in no way arguing with what you wrote, but just my thoughts. I was reading up on it and it said that margin of victory/loss along with losses in general are factors, but who you beat is the biggest factor, which is why I wondered how and why teams get to a certain level, good or bad, and are considered good/bad wins/losses. They don't seem to slip away from that because they're all playing each other once conference play hits with no chance to play out of conference to help change that.

The problem with comparing conferences' Q2 losses is that the Big 12 has 3 teams that would be Q2 wins/losses and those would have to be those 3 teams at home. The Big 10 has 11 teams that would be Q2 wins at home and 3 of those would also be Q2 wins on the road, so there are more chances for Q2 losses. So they're going to get more losses obviously, because one team has to win and one has to lose and get that Q2 loss. So basically we're talking about almost any Big 12 win/loss, home or away, being a Q1 win/loss and almost any Big 10 home win/loss being a Q2 win/loss, with some road games being Q2 games. There are simply more chances for Q2 wins/losses.

Taking out the top team and bottom 2 teams in each conference (KU and PU seem to be head and shoulders better than the rest and the 2 bottom feeders were dropped as well), they all have similar records (Big 12 go from 6-11 to 11-6 while Big 10 go from 8-11 to 11-8) and the teams from each conference played an average of about 21 total Q1 and Q2 games. Of those 18 teams, the Big 12 has the top 5 teams, the 7th team, and OSU is down the list. If you took those 18 teams, would 6 of the top 7 teams be from the Big 12 and all 11 of the Big 10 teams be in the bottom 13? I guess it's possible, but I just feel like, having watched the two conferences this year, I'd have to say no.

As I said in my original post, in no way am I trying to compare the two conferences and I do feel like the Big 12 is better. What my point is, is that somehow teams from a conference get locked in to a certain range of ranking and won't move out of that range because of the fact that they're playing teams that locked themselves in as higher ranked teams. Because of this, teams get locked into certain rankings ranges, the Big 12 has only played 46 Q2 games, while the Big 10 has played 112 Q2 games.

A person could say that it will all sort itself out in the tournament and that the best teams will win, but there's a huge difference between getting a 4-6 seed and getting a 7-9 seed because it's really tough to get very far if you have to play a 1 or 2 seed in the 2nd round.
Exactly - the B1G was set up to lose in the dance. They just were

Look at the seeds
B1G
Purdue - 1
Indiana - 4
Northwestern - 7
MSU - 7
Maryland - 8
Iowa - 8
IL - 9

B12
KS - 1
TX - 2
KST - 3
Baylor - 3
ISU - 6
TCU - 6
A&M - 7
Missouri - 7
WV - 9

Big 12 gets 2 through
and
B1G gets 1 through

You could argue that the BIG 12 performed way fucking worse then the B1G in the tournament and I don't think it's close. Holy shit did it underperform

He was interviewed on-site after the loss. Didn't AZ win 3 games the year before he got there? What a risk. Tuscon is interesting. Love the national park there, but the city is a bit dusty. Campus is nice overall.

I think I heard or read 4, but with the number being so low the point is moot in the end!

I think it is a real rarity a coach being revered that much at two different schools. Neat to see but rare indeed.