Iowa Sport Info Starts to Fight Back Against Pundits

and to think we were complaining about the coaching staff years ago...iowa city was electric after the game ive never seen soooo many smiles our time will come boys and we will be smiling looking at the rankings and the articles on espn.com

I'll take our team against the SEC and Big 12. Big 12 is absolutely horrible this year, and Fla. and Ala are not all they're cracked up to be. We've been competitive against these teams in prior bowl games (3-1 record v. SEC in last 10 years) and I expect we would continue that trend.

While I agree with the sentiment about easily hanging with the near top-rung of the SEC over the last several years, you have to admit, though, that calling out anybody else for near misses or close games is about as hypocritical as it gets.

While I agree with the sentiment about easily hanging with the near top-rung of the SEC over the last several years, you have to admit, though, that calling out anybody else for near misses or close games is about as hypocritical as it gets.
dagdaj - not trying to be hypocritical although I suppose it comes off that way; my point is that the same logic has been used against us all season, and we have every bit as much right to claim supremacy as the other teams. The big difference is that our schedule has been tougher. We've had some calls go our way too, but I think the record will bear out that those calls were generally correct. Florida can't say that. As for the Big 12, we beat ISU pretty good at their place and its contending for the Big 12 north title.

Why do we think we have to fight back against the pundits? We are ranked #4 in the BCS which is exactly where we should be at this point. Keep winning and these things work themselves out. Get by Northwestern and find a way to win at the Shoe, and then let's go all out in explaining why we deserve a shot at a NC. Until then, let the pundits keep talking about us. It hasn't hurt us yet.

The only way to silence the critics is to keep winning. If we only could have spread our 28 4th quarter points out lol...but at the end of the day, we covered a rather large spread. I really didnt think guys like Bradshaw would throw arrows at us after covering a 17.5 pt spread!!

Well we're about to have more of it, they're gonna hit Around the Horn with Iowa talk for the first time in about eight years. Any bets they burn it down with the "slow conference", unimpressive wins, etc?

I'M AT WORK SO I DID THIS QUICK BUT I HAD TO KNOW ...

Number of opponents defeated that currently have winning records:

1. Iowa 6
2. Texas 4
3. Cincinnati 4
TCU 4
5. Oregon 3
Alabama 3
7. Boise State 2
Florida 2

Total won-lost records (and winning %) of defeated opponents:

1. Iowa 44-31 .586
2. Floirda 36-29 .553
3. Texas 35-30 .538
4. Oregon 29-28 .508
5. TCU 34-33 .507
6. Alabama 32-33 .492
7. Cincinnati 30-36 .454
8. Boise State 27-37 .421

Total won-lost records of opponents defeated in their home stadiums (i.e. road wins)

1. Iowa 23-12 .657
2. Texas 15-9 .625
3. Florida 15-10 .600
4. TCU 19-14 .575
5. Alabama 9-7 .562
6. Cincinnati 21-20 .512
7. Boise State 14-18 .437
8. Oregon 6-10 .375

Number of defeated opponents ranked in current BCS Top 25:

1. Iowa 3 (Penn State, Arizona, Wisconsin)
Oregon 3 (USC, Utah, California)
3. Texas 2 (Okla, Okla St.)
4. Boise State 1 (Oregon)
Cincinnati 1 (South Florida)
Alabma 1 (Va Tech)
Florida 1 (LSU)
8. TCU 0

Won-lost records of remaining teams left on schedule:

1. Alabama 22-12 .647
2. Iowa 17-10 .629
3. Oregon 19-12 .612
4. Cincinnnati 19-13 .593
5. Texas 18-14 .562
6. Boise State 20-22 .476
7. TCU 15-17 .468
8. Florida 14-20 .411

I heard about this on Murph & Andy on the way home from class and here's my take on it;

While I think this is warranted due to criticism being levied in Iowa's direction, I think this could/should have waited until after the season. To me, this isn't quite putting the cart before the horse, but I really can't think of a better way to put it.

I get what Phil and the the rest of the SID are trying to do, but they (and by extension, the football team) are going to look really silly if Iowa trips up this weekend against jNU.

I get that after the season it really won't matter where Iowa is ranked because they'll (hopefully) be in the Rose Bowl regardless, but I never thought I would see the day where Iowa does the same type of politicing that we've seen out Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll, Mack Brown, Bob Stoops, and Jeff Tedford. Not that this is coming from Kirk, but this type of thing doesn't get out unless it crosses his desk.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but does anyone else see it that way?

Last edited:
I heard about this on Murph & Andy on the way home from class and here's my take on it;

While I think this is warranted due to criticism being levied in Iowa's direction, I think this could/should have waited until after the season. To me, this isn't quite putting the cart before the horse, but I really can't think of a better way to put it.

I get what Phil and the the rest of the SID are trying to do, but they (and by extension, the football team) are going to look really silly if Iowa trips up this weekend against jNU.

I get that after the season it really won't matter where Iowa is ranked because they'll (hopefully) be in the Rose Bowl regardless, but I never thought I would see the day where Iowa does the same type of politicing that we've seen out Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll, Mack Brown, Bob Stoops, and Jeff Tedford. Not that this is coming from Kirk, but this type of thing doesn't get out unless it crosses his desk.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but does anyone else see it that way?
PR is essential. I'm guessing many of the coaches (whose votes count) take their cues from the media. I think the media passes judgment based on limited facts or follows conventional wisdom, when conventional wisdom isn't always correct. We need to be sure our side of the debate is out there. We need to do it now because we need to be positioned ahead of others to move up if others ahead of us slip. I'm still wondering how the BCS ranking takes account of the Harris and coaches polls. Is it a composite of all coaches' votes or just the simple number ranking? IN other words, if we're ranked a close 3rd in the coaches poll, could the computers put us over.

PR is essential. I'm guessing many of the coaches (whose votes count) take their cues from the media. I think the media passes judgment based on limited facts or follows conventional wisdom, when conventional wisdom isn't always correct. We need to be sure our side of the debate is out there. We need to do it now because we need to be positioned ahead of others to move up if others ahead of us slip. I'm still wondering how the BCS ranking takes account of the Harris and coaches polls. Is it a composite of all coaches' votes or just the simple number ranking? IN other words, if we're ranked a close 3rd in the coaches poll, could the computers put us over.

You would think that a win in the 'Shoe would put the Hawks over the top, but there are so many other things that would have to happen that it would make your head spin. Texas has to lose, Alabama and/or Florida has to lose.

I do get the PR angle, but it's just something that we're not used to seeing out of the HFFC. In that regard, it's somewhat unsettling. But then again, this is uncharted territory for pretty much everyone.

RE: TheChump

We hear the same contrived drivel every year we play the Big 12 and SEC. Let's see...

2008 - Iowa 31 : South Carolina 10
2006 - Texas 26 : Iowa 24
2005 - Florida 31 : Iowa 24
2004 - Iowa 30 : LSU 25
2003 - Iowa 37 : Florida 17

Yeah...cause Iowa can't compete with the "amazing/superior athletes" of the SEC or Big 12. Get outta here troll.

Don't forget how Florida won in 2005! Excellent summary video by Jimbo Morrison here:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vRYakQgkI"]YouTube - 2006 Outback Bowl Iowa Hawkeyes vs. Florida Gators[/ame]
I was reminded of that game when I watched the Arkansas debacle.

I remember I was fortunate to have smuggled a full diet apple coke can in to the game which go warm so I didn't drink it. When the "chorus of boos reigned down on the stadium" after the game I chucked it at the main ref, almost hit him too...

Take away the dirty Ref from the Florida / Iowa game in 2005 and it would look a lot better . Amazing how the SEC can even dirty other conference Refs huh..pockets are DEEEEEEEEP.

offsides on the onside kick ...yah right .

Take away the dirty Ref from the Florida / Iowa game in 2005 and it would look a lot better . Amazing how the SEC can even dirty other conference Refs huh..pockets are DEEEEEEEEP.

offsides on the onside kick ...yah right .
Clearly there is something going on there.
The outback bowl refs got fired (probably had their retirement figured out already...)
The FL vs Arkansas refs got suspended.
Do the math.

I don't see how we couldn't beat 'Bama and Florida. Arkansas, Tennessee, and Mississippi State all put up pretty good fights vs them. And we're better than all them. Why the hell couldn't we beat them?

Also something tells me our buddies from the Outback bowl last year are going to give us some help and knock off Florida. (This opinion is based off of a gut feeling and wishful thinking and only matters if we win out, duh)

Don't forget how Florida won in 2005! Excellent summary video by Jimbo Morrison here:
YouTube - 2006 Outback Bowl Iowa Hawkeyes vs. Florida Gators
I was reminded of that game when I watched the Arkansas debacle.

I remember I was fortunate to have smuggled a full diet apple coke can in to the game which go warm so I didn't drink it. When the "chorus of boos reigned down on the stadium" after the game I chucked it at the main ref, almost hit him too...

This game made me forever a Chris Speilman fan.

How about we let the facts speak for themselves, you Troll.
Jeff Sagarin NCAA football ratings:
1 PAC-10 (A) = 79.47 79.15 ( 1) 10
2 SOUTHEASTERN (A) = 78.42 78.84 ( 2) 12
3 ATLANTIC COAST (A) = 76.04 75.93 ( 3) 12
4 BIG EAST (A) = 75.54 75.74 ( 4) 8
5 BIG 12 (A) = 74.41 74.75 ( 5) 12
6 BIG TEN (A) = 73.59 74.04 ( 6) 11
Does the Big 10 look good here? Nope. But your cherished Big 12 doesn't look all that great either.

Just a question, as I do not know how these ratings are calculated. If you took out Illinois and Purdue (since Iowa does not play them), would the Big 10 conference rank any higher?

Latest posts