Iowa Season Ends with Loss at Utah

Yeah, not sure what it was, but struggled remembering to watch games this year. Found myself watching a ton of the women's games, but men's were often a distance second or simply forgot about. Tbh last night was no different. Watched the USA vs. Mexico soccer game while totally forgetting the men were on. To be fair though, as most of you know, I'm a die hard soccer guy so even if I had remembered, it still would have been the USMNT live with the NIT game recorded.

Never thought I'd see the day that I'd pass on watching Iowa men"s basketball in favor of watching Iowa State women's basketball but that's what happened last night. I'm sort of a typical Iowa fan & my choice last night is somewhat reflective of the fan apathy that is creeping in regarding Iowa men's round ball. Hope the Hawks can put together a much improved record next year.

This team started out slow and so fan excitement waned early. The team went on a bit of a heater towards the end of conference season and that brought some interest back into the mix. But, if we are being honest with ourselves, losing in the second round of the NIT is about what this team was. They still outperformed my tempered expectations before the season started, and I think Fran has some really good young pieces on this team moving forward if he keeps everyone in the fold.

The reality on interest in MBBs and most sports at Iowa is that the product on the court/field is what drive's interest. This was a young team with no superstars. It was also juxtaposed with a women's team that sported an Iowa native who many believe is the greatest collegiate women's player to every play, and she was culturally transformational. So, that factor further eroded interest in the men.

Look, there was a ton of fan interest when Garza and the Murrays were here. Star power matters, especially at Iowa. Sanford and Freeman have a chance to be nationally relevant next season. That should bring interest back to the program. Gotta win some games and be in the mix though.

I really enjoyed watching this team play offense this year. They really moved the ball, shared the ball, could drive, could dish, had a post presence, and had good shooters on the team to boot. You watch some of the NCAA tourney teams on offense and it's painful compared to watching Iowa. And importantly, they play HARD...a lot of effort.
It's too bad Fran doesn't emphasize defense, because this team had the offensive talent to make some noise -- altho their inconsistency offensively was an issue. They had a hard time all having good nights on the same night!

Someone tweeted at Owen saying they heard a rumor he was transferring and he retweeted it with thumbs down. I have very little doubt he and Harding are going anywhere but Iowa.
That's good to know... Now let's hear from Dix. I hadn't heard any rumors about Owen but the Dix rumors have been out there for awhile.

That's good to know... Now let's hear from Dix. I hadn't heard any rumors about Owen but the Dix rumors have been out there for awhile.
Yep, I brought that rumor here like a month into this season. Things change, maybe his turn around and him breaking into the starting line up changed his mind. Let's hope.

I haven't heard anything on Tony P....but I feel like him and Patrick are the tightest and there is absolutely no indication that Pat wants to come back and infact, he posted a parting "End of my shift at the Night's Watch" type of post after the game. I feel like if Pat aint coming back, neither is Tony.

I really enjoyed watching this team play offense this year. They really moved the ball, shared the ball, could drive, could dish, had a post presence, and had good shooters on the team to boot. You watch some of the NCAA tourney teams on offense and it's painful compared to watching Iowa. And importantly, they play HARD...a lot of effort.
It's too bad Fran doesn't emphasize defense, because this team had the offensive talent to make some noise -- altho their inconsistency offensively was an issue. They had a hard time all having good nights on the same night!
I don't think any of us know how much Fran practices and works on D. Unlike football, its a fluid game with the same guys who are scoring having to defend.

I do not disagree that Iowa is not a good defensive team, but that is a product of the up and down style of play. If you are chucking the ball up early and often, you are going to give more possessions to your opponent and fast break opportunities when you miss.

The other issue is that Fran's type of player (long, lean stretch players) are not great defenders against quicker guards or beefier interior guys.

Much like Creighton, Iowa is never going to be a top defensive squad. They have to outscore their opponents.

Yep, I brought that rumor here like a month into this season. Things change, maybe his turn around and him breaking into the starting line up changed his mind. Let's hope.

I haven't heard anything on Tony P....but I feel like him and Patrick are the tightest and there is absolutely no indication that Pat wants to come back and infact, he posted a parting "End of my shift at the Night's Watch" type of post after the game. I feel like if Pat aint coming back, neither is Tony.
Yeah it'll feel like as the days go on if he doesn't make any sort of an announcement of anything at all it'll be tough to know what to think. It feels like that wouldn't be a long drawn out thing

I don't think any of us know how much Fran practices and works on D. Unlike football, its a fluid game with the same guys who are scoring having to defend.

I do not disagree that Iowa is not a good defensive team, but that is a product of the up and down style of play. If you are chucking the ball up early and often, you are going to give more possessions to your opponent and fast break opportunities when you miss.

The other issue is that Fran's type of player (long, lean stretch players) are not great defenders against quicker guards or beefier interior guys.

Much like Creighton, Iowa is never going to be a top defensive squad. They have to outscore their opponents.
Creighton is 66 in team defensive efficiency and Iowa is 279. Not so much like Creighton. We need to be more like Creighton. You don't need to be Houston or Iowa State at the top but you need to be good enough. Creighton plays good enough defense while Iowa does not. Big difference in Fran vs. McDermott over recent years that one improved their D and has advanced more while the other has not and has hit a ceiling.

Creighton is 66 in team defensive efficiency and Iowa is 279. Not so much like Creighton. We need to be more like Creighton. You don't need to be Houston or Iowa State at the top but you need to be good enough. Creighton plays good enough defense while Iowa does not. Big difference in Fran vs. McDermott over recent years that one improved their D and has advanced more while the other has not and has hit a ceiling.
I would say the biggest difference between Fran and McDermott over the past 5 years is that Creighton has bought better players, even before it was legal to do so. There is a reason that Creighton is again in the Sweet 16 and Iowa bounced out of the NIT---Creighton has better players. The style of play between these teams is very similar, there is just a talent gap.

I would say the biggest difference between Fran and McDermott over the past 5 years is that Creighton has bought better players, even before it was legal to do so. There is a reason that Creighton is again in the Sweet 16 and Iowa bounced out of the NIT---Creighton has better players. The style of play between these teams is very similar, there is just a talent gap.
Creighton has big NIL dollars, they attract some of the best talent in the portal every season. They have a program that people support and attend games of and an infrastructure of support that Iowa just doesn't have in place. That's what it was like when Dana Altman was there and they were in Valley, and it's no diferent now. Up until 3 years ago, the same scenrario about Greg McDermott existed that is said about Fran. Can't get them to the 2nd weekend. Need to move on, can't get there with a coach that doesn't know how to win in March. Then they made it, and now they make it all the time.

Creighton has big NIL dollars, they attract some of the best talent in the portal every season. They have a program that people support and attend games of and an infrastructure of support that Iowa just doesn't have in place. That's what it was like when Dana Altman was there and they were in Valley, and it's no diferent now. Up until 3 years ago, the same scenrario about Greg McDermott existed that is said about Fran. Can't get them to the 2nd weekend. Need to move on, can't get there with a coach that doesn't know how to win in March. Then they made it, and now they make it all the time.
Spot on. If we are being honest with ourselves, Iowa has the MBB it deserves. Attendance is low and NIL support is soft. Well, there is only so much the coach can do these days to attract talent the old fashion way. It takes money now. Ask Nick Saban.

As you noted, Creighton is all in on MBB (helps they don't have football) and they are getting the product they deserve given said investment.

A coaching change will not magically solve the soft support. In fact, Fran's approach is probably the best one Iowa has right now (sign underrecruited players and develop them and hope you can scrape together enough dough to keep them for 3-4 years). If Iowa puts a more competitive product on the court next season, the fans and support will improve some, but there needs to be a comprehensive review of the entirety of MBB if there is to be meaningful improvement.

What Creighton has built over the past 20 years has been an absolute masterclass in growing, managing, and promoting an athletic department.

Just a few of the brilliant moves...

1) Knowing it was the right time to join the P6. They had been kicking ass in a JV conference for quite a while and had established their name, but to really make the jump you need to be in a P6 league. Thinking outside the box and challenging the Big East to take a chance on them way out in Big Ten/Big Eight country was chess while everyone else was playing checkers.

2) Not trying to go from a MValley school with only a few sports to a P6 school and being good at everything. No football team to worry about, and only field teams in cheap to operate sports. Golf, baseball (no facilities to manage), soccer, cross country...

3) Knowing this was going to be a slow burn, and getting boosters/fans/donors/administration on board with that idea. There's no way to move the needle fast. Get it done right along the whole journey and it'll pay off like it has the past handful of years.

4) Doing whatever it takes to keep facilities exciting and fan/student engagement high. If anyone has ever been to a Creighton game at home you'll see what they do right and what Iowa does wrong. Kickass modern venue, rowdy crowd, great atmosphere around the arena. It's actually a fun place to be with a ton of awesome nightlife within a 10 minute walk. Carver is in the worst place it could possibly be. Ghetto apartments across the street and a 4 lane highway to the north, practice fields and railroad tracks to the south, campus to the east, and a bunch of trees to the west. To get anywhere fun from Carver you need a $50 uber ride or walk 45 minutes one way in minus 15 degrees and wind.

Yeah, I'm a Creighton fan boy. Sue me. I want what that school has and I double love that they have a huge contingent of their own state residents who hate UNL. They were smart and had a ton of foresight and Iowa had none. Also didn't help that Iowa's a football school with that particularly MUCH bigger fish to fry, but whaddya do?

Defense is about technique and effort. Coaches should teach the technique and bring out the effort. More talent does not automatically mean better defense.

Iowa plays defense more this year, guess what, they advance. They would win a few more like that Michigan game at home. Then they make the NCAA over the NIT. That is advancing no additional talent needed. Best defensive effort of the year that I saw against K-State. Without that they don't advance to the second round esp. if they didn't pick it back up again after the more relaxed start of the second half. If they did that in the BTT against a very similar OSU team they would have advanced even if one more round no additional talent needed.

Frans best teams had Garza and the Murray Boys and a Creighton did not have a much superior talent level. Why was one better on defense?

It is both. Yes, if they had a real talented big instead of P-Mac and another quality big playing instead of a Mulvey RS they would have gone further than they did. Need both though and good defense isn't automatically better with better talent. When Iowa had better talent they still needed better and more consistent defense. Still needed it this year even if they have less talent or are rebuilding or whatever.

Last edited:
What Creighton has built over the past 20 years has been an absolute masterclass in growing, managing, and promoting an athletic department.

Just a few of the brilliant moves...

1) Knowing it was the right time to join the P6. They had been kicking ass in a JV conference for quite a while and had established their name, but to really make the jump you need to be in a P6 league. Thinking outside the box and challenging the Big East to take a chance on them way out in Big Ten/Big Eight country was chess while everyone else was playing checkers.

2) Not trying to go from a MValley school with only a few sports to a P6 school and being good at everything. No football team to worry about, and only field teams in cheap to operate sports. Golf, baseball (no facilities to manage), soccer, cross country...

3) Knowing this was going to be a slow burn, and getting boosters/fans/donors/administration on board with that idea. There's no way to move the needle fast. Get it done right along the whole journey and it'll pay off like it has the past handful of years.

4) Doing whatever it takes to keep facilities exciting and fan/student engagement high. If anyone has ever been to a Creighton game at home you'll see what they do right and what Iowa does wrong. Kickass modern venue, rowdy crowd, great atmosphere around the arena. It's actually a fun place to be with a ton of awesome nightlife within a 10 minute walk. Carver is in the worst place it could possibly be. Ghetto apartments across the street and a 4 lane highway to the north, practice fields and railroad tracks to the south, campus to the east, and a bunch of trees to the west. To get anywhere fun from Carver you need a $50 uber ride or walk 45 minutes one way in minus 15 degrees and wind.

Yeah, I'm a Creighton fan boy. Sue me. I want what that school has and I double love that they have a huge contingent of their own state residents who hate UNL. They were smart and had a ton of foresight and Iowa had none. Also didn't help that Iowa's a football school with that particularly MUCH bigger fish to fry, but whaddya do?
+1 x100

I went to Creighton and they are my second team in MBB. Everything you said is accurate. Rass was a very visionary AD and has hired two damn good coaches in 30 years and built the program into a formidable opponent. They also built a premere downtown soccer stadium for one of the better soccer programs in the country, and it generates revenue too.

Can you forward this to Beth for consideration??????

+1 x100

I went to Creighton and they are my second team in MBB. Everything you said is accurate. Rass was a very visionary AD and has hired two damn good coaches in 30 years and built the program into a formidable opponent. They also built a premere downtown soccer stadium for one of the better soccer programs in the country, and it generates revenue too.

Can you forward this to Beth for consideration??????
Beth won't be here long. She's going to get poached within a year or two for bigger and better things. Write that down.

Beth won't be here long. She's going to get poached within a year or two for bigger and better things. Write that down.
Could happen, but I doubt it will happen that quickly. Then again, Washington's AD lasted 6 months before Nebbie poached him. Who knows.

If she wants to be an AD, you have to be in the SEC or Big 10, and half of those gigs are the same or worse than Iowa, so there is only so much upward mobility.

If she wants to do something else (NFL, Commish, NCAA) she will have options.

Either way, she could get a lot done in 2 years!!!!

Latest posts