Iowa Running Backs...looking to the Future (dangerous)

I was thinking the same thing last night..especially seeing how Marcus Coker is second string at Stony Brook and had 17 carries for 57 yards vs Syracuse yesterday. The guy had one of the Top 30 single game rushing performances in conference history last year vs Minnesota and over 1300 yards and he's second string at Stony Brook.

Since the last regular season game of last year, we are onto what would be our 7th or 8th string RB...that fact doesn't even include Arob, BW, Hampton...

By the way, I totally stole the "Weisman slaying AIRBHG" line for SoundOFF tonight and only gave them a couple of quick hitters to choose from...it should get the airtime...and I credited no one for it so consider it property of Shane from Marshalltown as of now...:D

Wow.

You stick a needle in other kids' balloons while walking around at Adventureland, too, don't you?

LOL no. But I've been doing this since 1999. I've seen hundreds of game threads and they are all similar; people overreact to tough stretches early, lose their minds, say stupid stuff that is way over the top, and later people quote or bump their outlandish posts, etc.

That said, I DO like the game threads, because it keeps all of that stuff in one post, mostly.

By the way, I totally stole the "Weisman slaying AIRBHG" line for SoundOFF tonight and only gave them a couple of quick hitters to choose from...it should get the airtime...and I credited no one for it so consider it property of Shane from Marshalltown as of now...:D

IF they decide to use your email this week ;)

I was trying to figure out who it was at first as he seemed to quick for fullback. Definitely like him. Hits the hole fast and is punishing. No moves but thats fine right now. Better than nothing and as long as there is a resemblance of a passing game he'll get yards.

To my eye he looked a lot like Coker, good acceleration, fair to decent agility, and lots of power. You could tell on a couple of those runs in the 4th guys were thinking twice about trying to tackle him. He wore them down for sure, having a back like that is always an asset. That kind of back might not have the wheels to pull away from defenders but if he's making them question even for a split second whether or not they want to take on the Juggernaut, that could give him all the daylight he needs.

I was thinking the same thing last night..especially seeing how Marcus Coker is second string at Stony Brook and had 17 carries for 57 yards vs Syracuse yesterday. The guy had one of the Top 30 single game rushing performances in conference history last year vs Minnesota and over 1300 yards and he's second string at Stony Brook.

Amazing. And yet I would love to Coker back on this team.

I realize that looking into the future as it relates to Iowa's running game is a fairly foolish notion and perhaps a waste of time, but here it goes.

Damon Bullock: Sophomore, good quickness and burst through the point of attack, seems like he might have some big play ability

Greg Garmon: Freshman, he has big play ability, young and we might not see it emerge until next year.

Jordan Canzeri: RS Frosh or Soph, depending on if he plays this year. When 100%, has big play ability, great lateral quickness, can be used in a few ways, in the slot, maybe some jet sweeps, showed toughness vs Oklahoma and has added 10 to 15 pounds.

Mike Malloy: Freshman, don't know much about him yet other than if he hadn't fallen ill this week, he would have played yesterday.

Barkley Hill: Freshman, redshirting: Was going to get reps and was likely #2 back halfway through camp, behind Bullock

Mark Weisman: Sophomore, different dimension than any other back on the team, shows impressive quickness and acceleration for a player of his size.

Brad Rogers: Likely fullback most of the rest of the way in his career, unless AIRBHG goes crazy.

That's a lot of names, some unproven and still proving commodities and all but Rogers have this year plus at least two more years as a minimum. The Iowa offensive line is going to keep getting better this year and next year should be one of the best in the league.

Given Iowa's RB injury/attrition issues, I am more amazed how the Hawks keep finding answers

I may be mistaken but Canzeri played last year as a true freshman and his injury occurred in Spring Practice. If he plays this year, that would make him a true sophomore this year and a junior next year. If he doesn't play this year and takes the redshirt, he would be a RS Soph next year. Correct?

Typically I just delete game threads after they are over, because they usually contain the worst of what message boards have to offer. So no, I didn't see any of your posts.

Fair enough.

However, now you have been provided the appropriate evidence, so I expect to be cited accordingly.

:)

LOL no. But I've been doing this since 1999. I've seen hundreds of game threads and they are all similar; people overreact to tough stretches early, lose their minds, say stupid stuff that is way over the top, and later people quote or bump their outlandish posts, etc.

That said, I DO like the game threads, because it keeps all of that stuff in one post, mostly.

People do this because of our vicarious attachment to our favorate team. This team provides entertainment and joy. To some it even provides Identity and validation. When those kinds of things are on the line you get a lot of what we see online. And since it is annonomous it makes it that much easier. And sometimes people just post fleeting thoughts - a luxury that you don't have in your role. So the standards are pretty low out here on the interweb.

What was the path that Weisman took to get here? He's a transfer from Air Force. I guess I don't know how it works, I thought if you went to the academy you were enlisted in the military??

Not obligated until your Jr year I think. After that you either finish or do some obligated enlisted service. If you finish and become an 0-1 (second Leutenant?) then you have up to 6(?) years obligated. It depends on what path you take. Pilot training etc. Not sure about Airforce (I'm almost certain its the same) in the Navy even when you leave after your obligated service, you are considered in the reserves for life(?) hence officers can use their rank as part of their title, much like a doctor.

One thing most civilians don't realise about the military is how much money officers lose by staying in the military. Every year they stay in they fall farther behind their civilian counterparts. And Marine officers, being part of a smaller force, get promoted less and are even father behind.

Last edited:

Latest posts