Dec. 17 Drake
Dec. 19 Central Arkansas
Dec. 22 Boise State

^ - - Dale Howard Classic Preliminary Games, Iowa City, Iowa
% - - Dale Howard Classic, Des Moines, Iowa
# - - Big Ten / ACC Challenge
* - - Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series

Men's Basketball Releases Non-Conference Schedule - Iowa Official Athletic Site

Looks like it should be a pretty easy schedule. My guesses.

Nov. 11 Chicago State ^
Nov. 14 North Carolina AT&T ^
Nov. 17 Northern Illinois

Nov. 20 vs. Creighton %
Nov. 23 Campbell ^
Nov. 26 IPFW
Nov. 29 Clemson #
Dec. 3 Brown
Dec. 6 at Northern Iowa

Dec. 9 at Iowa State *
Dec. 17 Drake
Dec. 19 Central Arkansas
Dec. 22 Boise State

Bold's are the wins. So 11-2 in the non conference slate which I think everyone would take.

Hawks need W's, plain and simple. Bolster the record, gain some confidence early and get everyone experience. Who cares how it looks. It's what we need....

Hawks need W's, plain and simple. Bolster the record, gain some confidence early and get everyone experience. Who cares how it looks. It's what we need....

This schedule sucks real hard. Ya the hawks need wins, but 300+ RPI wins are basically worthless.

They have a shot at running the table here. Possibly 12-1 or 11-2. Great momentum builder and letting the new guys get comfortable with the system.

Dont mind the schedule, gives us a chance to LEARN how to win, but would like to see a top 25 or two in there,we will see plenty during conf play i guess.

I have no problem with the schedule. Yeah its weak but I have no problem with that, its what we need. Not saying we are a weak team, in fact I expect us to improve greatly from last year, but we need confidence, and that is what this slate will give us.

In an odd way, seeing the schedule helps set expectations for the season. Everyone is entitled to their own prediction about how this year will go, but it is pretty clear that Fran does not expect to be in the mix for an at-large berth to the NCAAs, otherwise there is no way he plays a schedule like that. Anything can happen, but with a schedule like and a somewhat weakened Big Ten I'd think you would need to get to at least 22 wins to get in the dance (11-2 at worst, then 9-7 in the Big Ten and 2 wins in the BTT, or some combination thereof). I'm excited for the season, but I don't really see that in the cards.

-Probable Home Wins: Chicago St, NC A&T, Northern Illinois, Campbell, Brown, Drake, Central Arkansas, Boise St.

Boise is coming of a 22 win season, but they were largely a Senoir laden team.

-Trap Game: vs IPFW

Coming off an 18-12 season returning 3 of its top 5 including its best player. Played both Xavier & Cincinnati tough on the road in the non conference last season and we draw them just a few days before Clemson.

-Swing Games: @ Iowa St, @ UNI, vs Creighton

Technically, Creighton is neutral, but in Des Moines is basically a home game. This should be our 1st real test of the season as Creighton returns 6 of its top 7 scorers including its top 3 from a 23 win team.

State and UNI both appear to be winable games, but back to back road games with rivals are never easy.

-Toughest Opponent: vs Clemson

By far the Hawks stiffest competition in the early going. Got them at home and should be competitive, but it'll be tough to come away with the win.

-Overall

If the Hawks can avoid the early upset and split with Creighton/Clemson & IaSt/UNI they should walk away 11-2.

Wow, that is an incredibly week schedule.

Come out of that with 10 wins, then you have Minnesota, Penn State, Indiana, and Nebraska to beat up on.

Looks like Fran could have it turned around faster than scheduled. Could definably see you guys in the NIT this year.

If the schedule looks like that in 2 years, I won't be happy. But I have no problem with that schedule for next season.

I have no problem with it. It is very weak, but this is how the Big 12 teams like Baylor & A&M turned around their program. Also dont forget the Big 10 plays 18 conference games. I know the Big East played 18 as well, but most other BCS conferences played 16. That may be different this year, not sure though...

This schedule sucks real hard. Ya the hawks need wins, but 300+ RPI wins are basically worthless.

We agree on something. Are W's the answer, or playing a schedule that will actually make you a better team the answer? It is a double edged sword, if Iowa were to win 22 games with this schedule and the BIG going to be down, will be in the NIT, however there will be people saying Iowa got ripped. What has scheduling like this done for teams like Virginia Tech?

Sorry, but when you toughest non-conference teams, excluding Clemson, are the in-state rivalry games, there is a serious problem.

The most intriguing game is Creighton, I want to see the Basabe/McDermott matchup and Creighton will want to prove they can beat major conference teams.

False confidence in an inflated record does nothing for a program that is trying to find itself. I mean nothing by this, but what was ISU's record heading into B12 play with their non-conference schedule and all the confidence they gained? Again, just the first team that came to mind.

We agree on something. Are W's the answer, or playing a schedule that will actually make you a better team the answer? It is a double edged sword, if Iowa were to win 22 games with this schedule and the BIG going to be down, will be in the NIT, however there will be people saying Iowa got ripped. What has scheduling like this done for teams like Virginia Tech?

Sorry, but when you toughest non-conference teams, excluding Clemson, are the in-state rivalry games, there is a serious problem.

The most intriguing game is Creighton, I want to see the Basabe/McDermott matchup and Creighton will want to prove they can beat major conference teams.

False confidence in an inflated record does nothing for a program that is trying to find itself. I mean nothing by this, but what was ISU's record heading into B12 play with their non-conference schedule and all the confidence they gained? Again, just the first team that came to mind.

Great comparison. If ISU wouldn't have choked so many games and then went .500 in league play, they would have been a tourney team due to their non-con schedule. Similarly, Iowa can do the same this year. If you make a hard schedule, you better be good enough to back it up, because once you get over 10 losses, your tournament chances get bleak.

PSU had a terrible non-conference record and made the tourney with a 9-9 B1G record...Of course they made the B1G tournament Championship, but a season is not won or lost in the first 10 games of the year.