Iowa releases non-conference schedule

Is brown a gimme?

Maybe the invites for tournys arent complete yet, if so that could help.

Interesting seeing boise on there, thats gotta be a first for that matchup right?

No pre-season(conf) tourny? cant remember not playing in one?

Even though 2 games are in IC and one in Des Moines the Dale Howard Classic is the tournament.

They call it a classic so you get 3 games but only have to count it as 1 for scheduling purposes. Just like last year in Puerto Rico when they played 3 games but it only counted as 1.

I would be willing to bet that when Creighton releases their non conference schedule that Chicago St and NC A&T are playing at Creighton then those 2 probably play each other somewhere else.

Last edited:
Wow, that is an incredibly week schedule.

Come out of that with 10 wins, then you have Minnesota, Penn State, Indiana, and Nebraska to beat up on.

Looks like Fran could have it turned around faster than scheduled. Could definably see you guys in the NIT this year.

Yes. Definably. A very week schedule indeed.

RPI doesnt matter - this isnt a NCAA team. All that matters right now is W's and showcasing some fun bball to watch

Worry about SOS in a couple years

RPI doesnt matter - this isnt a NCAA team. All that matters right now is W's and showcasing some fun bball to watch

Totally agree with this. This program needs to learn how to win again, how to be consistent and win consistently to get people into CHA and bring that edge back.

Winning does that. No, I dont expect sellouts in the non-conference with a schedule like this.

But if you can play your way into hosting an NIT game in year two of this rebuilding project, that's damn good progress.

I think most Iowa fans realize this is not an NCAA team..and that if this team made it to some sort of post season this year, people would be ecstatic. Sure would make the winter go by faster.

Totally agree with this. This program needs to learn how to win again, how to be consistent and win consistently to get people into CHA and bring that edge back.

Winning does that. No, I dont expect sellouts in the non-conference with a schedule like this.

But if you can play your way into hosting an NIT game in year two of this rebuilding project, that's damn good progress.

I think most Iowa fans realize this is not an NCAA team..and that if this team made it to some sort of post season this year, people would be ecstatic. Sure would make the winter go by faster.
Comparing to the Northwestern, Oklahoma State, and Nebraska type teams that made the NIT last year, you will probably need at least 18 wins and 6 conference wins. But you will need a little more with that non-con. Maybe a conference tourney win. Might be doable.

Exactly. Lets just learn how to win. My expectations jumped from an NIT bubble team to an NCAA bubble team after looking at the schedule. We should easily finish with 10 wins OOC. This will build confidence heading into conference and assuming we can get 7 wins I think we are on the bubble (outside) and 9 wins (at large berth).

Beggars can't be choosers at this point. Lock up the creampuffs for this year, get a post-season bid and build from there.

Exactly. Lets just learn how to win. My expectations jumped from an NIT bubble team to an NCAA bubble team after looking at the schedule. We should easily finish with 10 wins OOC. This will build confidence heading into conference and assuming we can get 7 wins I think we are on the bubble (outside) and 9 wins (at large berth).

Beggars can't be choosers at this point. Lock up the creampuffs for this year, get a post-season bid and build from there.

19 wins with that non-conference schedule will not make Iowa an NCAA team. I think Alabama had like 22 wins last year and did not make it.

There are 2 teams in that nonconference schedule that could be be top 100 RPI teams, Clemson and ISU. The rest are at large bid killers.

And we thought the Iowa-Iowa St. game last year brought back some emotions into our programs.......Just wait til this year if both teams have almost identical undefeated starts!! Even though I do think we will get hammered in Ames, it will still be exciting to see both programs making progress even if its against bad competition.

ISU goes to Michigan, which I assume will be a loss, but I don't know if it's before or after the Iowa game.

IMO you can't knock the schdule based on recent history. We play in a power conference and although it will be down relative to last season, it is certainly more difficult than The Valley or Horizon League. Those schools need to step up and play a couple of tough non con games because they may not face a top 50 school in conference play. McCaffrey won't dodge better non con opponents when he gets some players in here, but I am fine with chalking up some 10 or so non con wins and giving us a chance for the NIT.

Love the schedule. We need wins more than anything right now.

I really don't understand this. What do empty wins do for you? These certainly won't be exciting wins as the SIU Eville game taught us last season. Nebraska has this schedule every single season and has that "taught them how to win?" No. Winning against terrible competition does nothing for a program.

If the schedule looks like that in 2 years, I won't be happy. But I have no problem with that schedule for next season.

This.

It is fine for now, but the Tom Davis like non-con. schedule will have to be upgraded moving forwarded.

This schedule is fine at this point in the Fran rebuilding project.
It will allow:
1. Iowa to play their style,running and gunning,and scoring,which will bring fans back.
2. Iowa to win games so their young players can build confidence.
3. Fran to showcase his uptempo style for recruits visiting.
4. Iowa to be in possible contention for a postseason bid of some ilk.
5. Iowa to have their first winning season since SA left in 07.

For those who are whining about this schedule,please stop. You really think that anyone will give a crap if Iowa scheduled tough,lost big,and had another sub-500 record? This year,we are not scheduling for the outside perceptions,but to re-vitalize our own fanbase and self-esteem. Get Gatens to the post-season once,please.

I really don't understand this. What do empty wins do for you? These certainly won't be exciting wins as the SIU Eville game taught us last season. Nebraska has this schedule every single season and has that "taught them how to win?" No. Winning against terrible competition does nothing for a program.

Relax, its not like we play in the Missiouri Valley. We have a few decent matchups between Boise, Clemson, Creighton, even ISU.

Hasn't UNI been recruiting decent? Even with O'rear and Ahelegaba or whatever leaving I still think they're going to be top half in valley no?

Latest posts