Iowa releases non-conference schedule

Their place as the best program in the state?

Their place is 3rd. They've exceeded that for a few years. Iowa and ISU have more resources and should be better programs. Shame on them for sucking and kudos to UNI for achieving new heights.

Their place is 3rd. They've exceeded that for a few years. Iowa and ISU have more resources and should be better programs. Shame on them for sucking and kudos to UNI for achieving new heights.

So they are the best program in the state then correct? I don't see how this is even up for debate. Should they be? No, but the BCS teams have been absolutely awful.

Also in terms of top 100 teams, Creighton will certainly be a top 100 team and very likely a top 50 team. They are loaded next year.

19 wins with that non-conference schedule will not make Iowa an NCAA team. I think Alabama had like 22 wins last year and did not make it.

There are 2 teams in that nonconference schedule that could be be top 100 RPI teams, Clemson and ISU. The rest are at large bid killers.

Trying to compare Alabama last year to Iowa next year isn't realistic. Alabama had a TERRIBLE non-conference W/L record and excelled in a terrible SEC conference. I expect just the opposite from Iowa next year. We should be able to get 10+ wins OOC and if we can scratch out a .500 record in conference which will place us in the top half of conference then we will be squarely on the bubble.

I really don't understand this. What do empty wins do for you? These certainly won't be exciting wins as the SIU Eville game taught us last season. Nebraska has this schedule every single season and has that "taught them how to win?" No. Winning against terrible competition does nothing for a program.

Remind me again what losing to stiff competition does for a program?

Trying to compare Alabama last year to Iowa next year isn't realistic. Alabama had a TERRIBLE non-conference W/L record and excelled in a terrible SEC conference. I expect just the opposite from Iowa next year. We should be able to get 10+ wins OOC and if we can scratch out a .500 record in conference which will place us in the top half of conference then we will be squarely on the bubble.

Bama was .500 2 losses were to Purdue and OK State (20 win team)
The bad losses probably Iowa, Providence and Seton Hall, St Peters (who actually finished 20-13) and even at that Iowa, Prov, and Seton Hall are from high profile conferences, so not like losing to Briar Cliff.

Their RPI going in to conference was around 150

They went 12-4 in conference and one their first tourney game in the conference, had 21 wins. That put them on the bubble and still
did not get in.

Iowa is going to play 2 major conference schools, a Mo Vally trifecta and a bunch of schools from a who's who of 1 bid conference affiliations.

If Iowa win's and lose as expected in their non-conference RPI going into conference play is probably not going to be under 200.

Tack on the fact the Big 10 has the potential to be down, and could be the Pac 10 or SEC of last year, 18 wins is not a bubble team..

A lot will depend on how the Big 10 performs in preseason. The 18 could be a more realistic bubble number if the Big 10 exceeds expectations.

Glad to see we were finally able to schedule Boise St. in basketball. Can't think of any other sport where I'd rather see us playing them (sarcasm).

If Iowa was to play "stiffer" competition they wouldn't even sniff post season play. So arguing 9 months before it's even a factor about how this will hurt our RPI if we are on the bubble is pointless. Without this schedule we wouldn't have a chance. Let's win these games which we hopefully should and see where the chips fall. Just remember we would be talking about postseason play...something we have been dreaming about for quite awhile...

If Iowa was to play "stiffer" competition they wouldn't even sniff post season play. So arguing 9 months before it's even a factor about how this will hurt our RPI if we are on the bubble is pointless. Without this schedule we wouldn't have a chance. Let's win these games which we hopefully should and see where the chips fall. Just remember we would be talking about postseason play...something we have been dreaming about for quite awhile...

This is the correct answer in my humble opinion.

22 wins and not making the NCAA tourney is still better than 14 wins and not making the tourney.

With 20 or so wins you guys will at least be in the conversation when bubble teams are discussed. That my friends is good pub, even if you don't end up getting in. Fran can point to that when he recruits.

Winning is always better than losing... especially since you weren't gonna make the tourney anyway this year. Heck, there is debate whether you will win 20 games with THIS schedule. What good would it do to schedule tougher?

Totally agree with this. This program needs to learn how to win again, how to be consistent and win consistently to get people into CHA and bring that edge back.

Winning does that. No, I dont expect sellouts in the non-conference with a schedule like this.

But if you can play your way into hosting an NIT game in year two of this rebuilding project, that's damn good progress.

I think most Iowa fans realize this is not an NCAA team..and that if this team made it to some sort of post season this year, people would be ecstatic. Sure would make the winter go by faster.

If people want to see a creampuff schedule today, fine, but it is still is not a good scenario. When it comes down to it if Iowa gets to .500 in conference, or above then the non-conference schedule becomes a moot point. The problem I have is that there is no credibility into scheduling in this fashion. I am certainly not saying try and schedule 8 top 25 teams, but two or three and take away two or three of the walk overs. A tougher non-conference will prepare a team for league play.

Now with this schedule and the graduations that happened in the BIG, I cannot rule out the NCAA tournament and if Iowa beats Clemson, definitely NIT and yes that is pretty darn good in year two from where Iowa is coming from. In the future scheduling in this way, it hurts for a higher seed in the NCAA, unless you win the Conference Tournament.

Short term, okay, but bad long term. One thing I do think tougher scheduling will help with is recruiting...go to some of the really good Big East teams and play, get that exposure. Go play some of the quality teams in the West or South, it just can't hurt. Like I said though, don't go nuts and schedule 6-8 of these teams, you have to have some cream puffs. Like it or not, the better ISU is, the better for Iowa.

Iowa has had similar schedules recently, but they didn't have the coach or the players to win then, that is the difference. You don't need a schedule to win, it takes more than that. The confidence a team has comes from its coach.

Last edited:
WOW!!!

All of us agree.

This years non-conference schedule is a one year, temporary stay.

It's all about a winning record, post season play and getting CHA rocking again.

Please Lord, allow Matt Gatens to taste some success.

I'm still wondering about a tourney(Hi, AK, PR, VI,) we're not in one this year? just seems strange,always a nice get away for the players. Any reasons?

Latest posts