Iowa QB situation

Zstatman

I find it hard to believe that there is still a QB controversy, even after KF's press conference Tuesday.

IMO, and I've thought this for 40 plus years, there is nothing more important in college football than experience at the quarterback position. Still there has been controversy on who should be playing QB ever since I've been a fan, it goes with the territory.

Getting a QB that all important experience is no easy task. Other than graduation, injury is usually a way a new QB gets some snaps. Luckily we've haven't had injuries at QB the last few years. But they happen, anybody remember that year, 20-30 years ago it seems, when due to injury we had to go 5 deep on the QB depth chart? None of them were ready. And, the next fall most of them left the program because they weren't #1.

What KF, BF and KOK want is a game manager that won't hurt the team. Nate Stanley was a much better game manager in year 3 than he was in year 1.

In my mind, our QB situation is pretty solid going into this year. We have a returning starting QB with experience, With Padilla and Hogan we've got guys who've been in the program. (yes, I know, Fryowa has Deuce leaving), we've got Labas coming in as a freshman and it seems like we got a kid coming in from a prep academy (can't remember) his name), who just wants a shot at playing at the major college level. What's not to like in this? Maybe a dual threat QB that can run and throw?

I'm not worried about any of this, we're in good shape at QB.

I find it hard to believe that there is still a QB controversy, even after KF's press conference Tuesday.

IMO, and I've thought this for 40 plus years, there is nothing more important in college football than experience at the quarterback position. Still there has been controversy on who should be playing QB ever since I've been a fan, it goes with the territory.

Getting a QB that all important experience is no easy task. Other than graduation, injury is usually a way a new QB gets some snaps. Luckily we've haven't had injuries at QB the last few years. But they happen, anybody remember that year, 20-30 years ago it seems, when due to injury we had to go 5 deep on the QB depth chart? None of them were ready. And, the next fall most of them left the program because they weren't #1.

What KF, BF and KOK want is a game manager that won't hurt the team. Nate Stanley was a much better game manager in year 3 than he was in year 1.

In my mind, our QB situation is pretty solid going into this year. We have a returning starting QB with experience, With Padilla and Hogan we've got guys who've been in the program. (yes, I know, Fryowa has Deuce leaving), we've got Labas coming in as a freshman and it seems like we got a kid coming in from a prep academy (can't remember) his name), who just wants a shot at playing at the major college level. What's not to like in this? Maybe a dual threat QB that can run and throw?

I'm not worried about any of this, we're in good shape at QB.
Good stuff

I agree. My issue comes with KF revolves around the in game experience. In the fact that when we have the opportunity to get the second team on the field and get that 2nd string QB meaningful snaps. But rather than actually give them an opportunity to gain meaningful snaps we parade them out to hand the ball off or take a knee. I just find it mind boggling that at a position of such importance, which its so difficult to get in game reps, that you'd waste them on nothing more than vanilla run plays and nothing that can be used to evaluate him or see what he has to offer.
I'm all about gamesmanship, but if your going to pull your starters at the start of the 4th quarter or midway through the 4th then give them the opportunity to really compete. I just don't see how it benefits that back up QB when he finally gets an opportunity to show what he can do only to be held back.

I agree that I've always wished we did a better job of getting the backup QBs some meaningful snaps. Remember when we had that year where not one backup got a snap all year? It wasn't that long ago.

Many of our games are so damn close you don't have the luxury. But, even then, I've thought why not give the backup one series right before halftime or midway thru the 2nd quarter, something.

I'm not getting paid the big bucks to make those decisions, though, and for good reason.

Jack Sharp from Milford Academy, same school that produced Shonn Greene, is the QB whose name I couldn't remember.

I agree that I've always wished we did a better job of getting the backup QBs some meaningful snaps. Remember when we had that year where not one backup got a snap all year? It wasn't that long ago.

Many of our games are so damn close you don't have the luxury. But, even then, I've thought why not give the backup one series right before halftime or midway thru the 2nd quarter, something.

I'm not getting paid the big bucks to make those decisions, though, and for good reason.
Yep, 2012 with Vandenberg. Not like he was lighting it up either. Everyone was clamoring for Ruddock at the time.

Yep, 2012 with Vandenberg. Not like he was lighting it up either. Everyone was clamoring for Ruddock at the time.
Vandenberg took one for the team that year. Davis was going to mess up the starting quarterback that year, regardless who it was. More worried what it would have done to Ruddock's development.

Kurt Warner and Tom Brady were both 1 year starters in college.

Thats the power of "experience". Coaches like many professions hold to the maxim: first do no harm

Not "to get what you've never had you've got to do what you've never done"

The original post seems to run opposite to the common consensus that Iowa QBs do best their first year of starting and then regress. Although if you look at the QB stats each year, the stats did not get worse, just the number of wins. Which kind of suggests Iowa success depends more on the defense than the QB.

Stanley did not get worse over time but I would not say he dramatically got better either. I guess you could say his consistency got better his senior year. And his number of wins went up each year, so that counts for something.

I agree. My issue comes with KF revolves around the in game experience. In the fact that when we have the opportunity to get the second team on the field and get that 2nd string QB meaningful snaps. But rather than actually give them an opportunity to gain meaningful snaps we parade them out to hand the ball off or take a knee. I just find it mind boggling that at a position of such importance, which its so difficult to get in game reps, that you'd waste them on nothing more than vanilla run plays and nothing that can be used to evaluate him or see what he has to offer.
I'm all about gamesmanship, but if your going to pull your starters at the start of the 4th quarter or midway through the 4th then give them the opportunity to really compete. I just don't see how it benefits that back up QB when he finally gets an opportunity to show what he can do only to be held back.
Couldn't agree more! Can't tell you how many times I've talked to the TV (no, it didn't talk back) saying, "Put in the second string QB!" 3 series inevitably go by b4 he is allowed to play. Our "inexperienced" QB's are a product of our own making and IMO, this is used by coaches to avoid QB controversies. Yes, this is an every year occurrence.

Stanley did not get worse over time but I would not say he dramatically got better either. I guess you could say his consistency got better his senior year. And his number of wins went up each year, so that counts for something.
Stanley’s problem was that he was a choke artist in big games. He was 2-7 against ranked teams.

Stanley could beat Indiana and Minnesota all day long, but if your name was Penn State, Wisconsin, or Michigan you’re gonna have a fun plane ride home. And as far as the West division, if you flop against Wisconsin every year well...what the F’s the point??

Nate Stanley as a Hawkeye was quite literally the college version of pro Kirk Cousins. Splashes of brilliance against mid to bottom feeder teams, but when the chips are down there’s poop running down his legs and a slow motion car accident about to happen.

Petras seems to be a good leader, but an argument could be made that he was the worst QB in the League last year. Much of the focus is on his inconsistency in throwing the football which is legitimate. His wide receivers and tight ends made some fine catches or his stats would have been worse.
He could improve in this area. My concern is his lack of quickness foot speed and awareness in the pocket. I cant remember him scrambling for a big 1st down or extending a play to make a big play downfield. I'm sure he did but not many times.
In modern football the QB has to make some plays with his feet. Even the Pros that is the case. Especially with a team like Iowa the QB just has to make plays. I just don't see Petras able to do that. Maybe he is the best overall we have but if that is the case we need to put more emphasis on recruiting QBs

Petras seems to be a good leader, but an argument could be made that he was the worst QB in the League last year. Much of the focus is on his inconsistency in throwing the football which is legitimate. His wide receivers and tight ends made some fine catches or his stats would have been worse.
He could improve in this area. My concern is his lack of quickness foot speed and awareness in the pocket. I cant remember him scrambling for a big 1st down or extending a play to make a big play downfield. I'm sure he did but not many times.
In modern football the QB has to make some plays with his feet. Even the Pros that is the case. Especially with a team like Iowa the QB just has to make plays. I just don't see Petras able to do that. Maybe he is the best overall we have but if that is the case we need to put more emphasis on recruiting QBs
There were some great catches But also plenty of drops, some due to way too much heat on passes. I’m 100% aligned on the foot speed topic. It’s a liability

I really hope it's an honest qb competition with spring practice and that Padilla and Hogan get equal shots to be #1 going into the late summer practices and games. It would be nice to have a qb who's mobile, with a nice touch to his passes.

There were some great catches But also plenty of drops, some due to way too much heat on passes. I’m 100% aligned on the foot speed topic. It’s a liability
These are not middle schoolers. If it hits their hands, they better catch it regardless of ball speed.

These are not middle schoolers. If it hits their hands, they better catch it regardless of ball speed.
Lol. Not true at all. Even in the NFL there are quarterbacks who get knocked for that, especially across the middle or 5-10 yds out. Tyree Jackson has had big problems with that in college and the Bills staff has talked about it too, how he doesn't have the touch across the middle.

Alex Smith has had issues with that, and it's about the only knock on Matthew Stafford I've ever heard.

There's definitely a point where balls thrown at 68 MPH from 5 yards away (on the move) are uncatchable.

And Petras isn't throwing to NFL receivers either. His nerves get to him and he smokes that ball in there just like a pitcher overthrowing in a playoff game because of adrenaline. He needs to control it.

Iowa values the cerebral in quarterbacks. They ask the QB to come to the line of scrimmage and decide what the best run play should be....60% of the time. The other 40% of the time its a short pass. Iowa isn't known for complexity in the passing game (maybe that's changing).

Don't make mistakes
Hold on to the ball
just don't lose

I just wrote all of that out of sheer speculation. I don't Fking know.

But I do know this, Iowa's best teams have a QB who can make plays when the play breaks down (Tate, Beathard, Banks) and who can find open receivers and get the ball to them.

At the end of the season he did take off a couple times for first downs. None that I would qualify as “big” but definitely one that helped win a game (run out clock)

Latest posts