Iowa QB situation

I've been trying to figure out why everyone, including myself sometimes, aren't sold on Petras. Let's face it, the guy won the last six games he started. He beat Penn State and Wisconsin...two teams that have owned us for the past 5-6 years. He played probably his best game against Penn State on the road...was really solid. He also got the ball downfield on the deep balls against Wisconsin...three big plays to ISM...and really the Wisconsin game should have been a blowout...if we don't muff a punt.

I think the reason for the trepidation is how Petras, at times, looks in the pocket...and some of the decisions he makes. I mean, he didn't turn the ball over much after the NW game. I think he had one pick after NW if I remember right. He also toned down the fastballs on the short routes.

What it boils down to is the "nervous nelly" panic that he appears to go through when a play breaks down. For example, the throw away against Wisconsin to the opposite side of the field where we have no receivers, when he wasn't even under pressure. Those "what the hell was that moments" that he experienced from time to time. The question is...is that really something to write him off for?

A first year QB, without a Spring/Summer/and true fall camp. I think that would unnerve most people. He didn't lose the Purdue game...two fumbles put us in a really difficult spot in that first game...and uncharacteristically...our defense couldn't stop the run. We got outcoached again against NW.

I think Petras may surprise us in the fall. And be a calmer, more consistent QB...he's shown he can contribute to winning football games. He just needs to calm down and play his game.

I've been trying to figure out why everyone, including myself sometimes, aren't sold on Petras. Let's face it, the guy won the last six games he started. He beat Penn State and Wisconsin...two teams that have owned us for the past 5-6 years. He played probably his best game against Penn State on the road...was really solid. He also got the ball downfield on the deep balls against Wisconsin...three big plays to ISM...and really the Wisconsin game should have been a blowout...if we don't muff a punt.

I think the reason for the trepidation is how Petras, at times, looks in the pocket...and some of the decisions he makes. I mean, he didn't turn the ball over much after the NW game. I think he had one pick after NW if I remember right. He also toned down the fastballs on the short routes.

What it boils down to is the "nervous nelly" panic that he appears to go through when a play breaks down. For example, the throw away against Wisconsin to the opposite side of the field where we have no receivers, when he wasn't even under pressure. Those "what the hell was that moments" that he experienced from time to time. The question is...is that really something to write him off for?

A first year QB, without a Spring/Summer/and true fall camp. I think that would unnerve most people. He didn't lose the Purdue game...two fumbles put us in a really difficult spot in that first game...and uncharacteristically...our defense couldn't stop the run. We got outcoached again against NW.

I think Petras may surprise us in the fall. And be a calmer, more consistent QB...he's shown he can contribute to winning football games. He just needs to calm down and play his game.
Good points.

He is still erratic throwing the football. I am not writing him off, but I am not all in either. That 57% completion rate, at minimum has to get up in the low 60's. For every pass he completed to LaPorta, it seemed like he missed him the other 6 times he was open.

Maybe a Spring/Summer changes that.......maybe it doesn't.

He is still erratic throwing the football. I am not writing him off, but I am not all in either. That 57% completion rate, at minimum has to get up in the low 60's. For every pass he completed to LaPorta, it seemed like he missed him the other 6 times he was open.

You just described three years of Nate Stanley and Nate never beat Wisconsin or Penn State.

You are right. He has to hit or exceed the 60% mark. But, drops are incomplete s and have been an issue. And deep throws are statistically low % throws, even for Aaron Rogers. It’s complicated.

Let’s be real, even with those costly fumbles against Purdue... if Petrus had performed well enough to earn an AVERAGE quarterback rating, we win both Purdue &Northwestern games, and finish 8-0. That would have set up one hell of a game vs OSU. We would have been in the National conversation.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.

Yes, I will give you some of the points about backing down the fastball, looking less panicked in the pocket, etc... as the year wore on, but let’s not be revisionist about how horrible the passing game was to start the season (and it sure wasn’t the WR’s fault).

You just described three years of Nate Stanley and Nate never beat Wisconsin or Penn State.
Not the same Wisconsin and PSU teams we have seen the last 5 years or so, but point well taken.

Not anti-Petras, just in wait and see mode. Lets see what it looks like with a Spring/Summer behind him.

You are right. He has to hit or exceed the 60% mark. But, drops are incomplete s and have been an issue. And deep throws are statistically low % throws, even for Aaron Rogers. It’s complicated.
Has to be more consistent with the short and intermediate passing game. It got better as the year progressed, but it is not where it needs to be.

More importantly, the D-line looks like it will be a work in progress, so you may need to lean on the offense a little more early on. In other words Petras has to be ready to go coming out the gate.

I’ve always enjoyed college football a little more than college basketball, but not this season.

Also it’s very difficult to get excited about finishing in second or third place in the West year after year after year after year. It’s enjoyable to have a winning seasons but we are way way way way way over due for a great season.

I think we're closer to Wisconsin than we have been in a really long time. Even 2015 included. If Petras can get a full spring camp in and refine some of the shit he needed to work on, we could be in a good place.

Either way, we ain't winning the Big Ten in the next decade, so you might as well take that off your list.

I think we're closer to Wisconsin than we have been in a really long time. Even 2015 included. If Petras can get a full spring camp in and refine some of the shit he needed to work on, we could be in a good place.

Either way, we ain't winning the Big Ten in the next decade, so you might as well take that off your list.

We have been better than NW for the last 5 years, but not as good as Wisconsin. And the 2 years we were better than Wisky (2018 and 2020), we stubbed our toes and NW put all the pieces together for great seasons.

Frustrating as hell, but I agree with you, we are close. We just need to do what NW has done and capitalize when the great season is there to be had.

This could really hurt the run game if they don't name the OL and RB coaches soon.

Maybe there is a shakeup coming and BF is getting demoted back to OL coach. JUST KIDDING. We all know that ain't going to happen.

I would say the situation is fluid.
I'd like to think so... I mean How long of a leash does Petras have? What he did last yr I think 'entitles' him to be #1 going into day 1 of spring ball. But that's it. I don't think he should be a shoe in to be starting day 1 he still has to earn it. Accuracy and decision making is everything. He's got the gun for it obviously. So we'll see. I'm not rooting against him or for anyone else. Just my arm chair QB 2 cents worth

I think we had a good year with a new QB. I could see definite learning taking place. But I am not opposed to a QB competition in camp.

I would like to see us hire someone special to coach the QB's. Someone with a great reputation who would help recruiting. I am not at all certain that the QB coaching has ever been as good as for other positions.

I would like to see us hire someone special to coach the QB's. Someone with a great reputation who would help recruiting. I am not at all certain that the QB coaching has ever been as good as for other positions.
Dude, Iowa is paying our current QB coach $800,000/year. That sounds pretty special to me.

Stanley’s problem was that he was a choke artist in big games. He was 2-7 against ranked teams.

Stanley could beat Indiana and Minnesota all day long, but if your name was Penn State, Wisconsin, or Michigan you’re gonna have a fun plane ride home. And as far as the West division, if you flop against Wisconsin every year well...what the F’s the point??

Nate Stanley as a Hawkeye was quite literally the college version of pro Kirk Cousins. Splashes of brilliance against mid to bottom feeder teams, but when the chips are down there’s poop running down his legs and a slow motion car accident about to happen.
Well, mostly yes. However, part of the frustration with Stanley was his inability to repeat his performance when as a Sophomore he led the Hawks to one of their most impressive wins ever -- the blowout vs Ohio State -- where he looked like an All American. As a first year starter.

You could be correct that Petras' consistent inaccuracy was due to 'nerves', but I doubt it. His completion % in h.s. was not high, so it's not a realistic expectation to think it will get better playing in a top Power 5 conference. As Bill Walsh, one of the great QB gurus of all-time, has said: QB accuracy tends to innate, and is nearly impossible to teach/coach. When it comes to Petras and consistent accuracy, what you saw last year is probably what you get this year...and the next. I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

All the more reason to give him more 5-10 yd opportunities this year. When they cover these then go longer. We should have the tight end talent to make these as effective as a good run.

On the QB coach. Great to have him as a mentor to the offense. I still think we could get a great QB coach and he would often pay for himself by getting us an extra game.

Well, mostly yes. However, part of the frustration with Stanley was his inability to repeat his performance when as a Sophomore he led the Hawks to one of their most impressive wins ever -- the blowout vs Ohio State -- where he looked like an All American. As a first year starter.
I'm not so sure his numbers were All-American type numbers for that game. He was 20-31 (64.5%) for 226 yards for an 11 yard average. Yes, he had 5 TD's but was gifted by our defense with short fields who forced 2 fumbles and 4 interceptions. And most of his completions were short passes with a number of yards after catch. We also had 243 yards rushing, averaging 6.4 yards per rush, which definitely helps the passing game. And one other thing: Nick Bosa, arguably the best pass rusher of OSU, was ejected for targeting on what many have said was a controversial call.

Over his career, Stanley was a 58.3% passer. Percentage wise, he got better every year. His senior year he didn't do as well in the QB rating stat with 134.1 but remember he didn't have Fant and Hockenson on that team, but he still had a higher completion percentage that year. I'd say he was pretty consistent each year with QB ratings of 135.1 (soph year), 136.5 (jr year) and 131.2 (sr year).

Latest posts