Iowa QB Development 2 - Question for Jon

Fairweather fan. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Call me fair weather all you want. So long as sheeple line up to get gouged out of $750 or $950 for decent season football tickets, the powers that be aren't going to make any changes and the one good team every four or so years with a slew of 6-8 win teams is going to be the norm and I don't want to subsidize a $3 million salary with my hard earned money for that crap - I want ONE loss total to Indiana and NU over the course of a decade for that kind of money - it is not too much to ask. Iowa has one of the best offenses it has ever had in terms of talent and O'Keefe managed to muster up a grand total of 35 freaking points against two of the worst defenses in the conference, if not the country. I'm done paying to watch that.

And as for the defense, yeah, I get it that Norm's out or not 100% and that's too bad, but we've all seen the movie before where Iowa has a one possession lead or are in a close game and a spread team marches the ball down the field on us and is always one play away from beating Iowa. Iowa has been beaten on that "miraculous" drive at the end of the game far more than it has won under similar circumstances and the most miraculous drive it won on (the LSU game) was a result of one of the biggest coaching blunders I have ever seen.

Let's just think of the games off the top of my head where Iowa has gotten burned on late 4th quarter heroics while sitting back and watching opposing QBs look like John Elway: 2005 Northwestern, 2006 Indiana, 2010 Arizona, 2008 Illinois, 2009 UNI (blocked FGs saved day), 2010 Wisconsin, 2008 Purdue (won game, but Purdue marched it down easily and could have won due to 2 missed XPs by Iowa), 2010 Northwestern, 2009 MSU (Iowa got bailed out with one of those rare successful two minute drives). There are plenty more, those are just some of the more infuriating ones.

The fact is this, Iowa's defensive scheme ONLY works when Iowa has two high caliber NFL ready linebackers to cover slot guys AND at least 2 really high performing d-linemen. No disrespect to the players, but Iowa's coaching staff thinks it can roll out Edds as a freshman, Morris as a freshman and guys like Klinkenborg and run exactly the same schemes they ran with guys like Hodge, Greenway, Edds in the latter years and Angerer as an upper classman with no changes to the scheme. Young Edds was okay and Morris is okay and Morris is very likely going to be awesome, but there have to be changes to the scheme so that teams can't continually pick at the soft spot with impunity. The defense looks like the steel curtain when it has 2 good LBs, but it is a sieve when the LB play drops off a little bit and that all comes down to coaching.

So if you want to call me a fairweather fan for refusing to drive hours to watch O'Keefe and Ferentz look like absolute morons when the game is on the line and quick decisions need to be made or burn timeouts on 3rd and 1 with the play clock winding down and 70,000 fans yelling "get the play in coach," or to watch opposing QBs shred Iowa's defense that is fundamentally based on a 20 year old philosophy that most college QBs can't string together 10 play drives (which doesn't hold true any more since most teams have moved toward a spread/quick pass attack), fine, but there is absolutely no way that a good coaching staff should have such major problems with Indiana and Northwestern year in and year out given the major recruiting and facilities advantages. I will support Iowa, but I am a lot more interested in supporting an 18 year old kid who is facing a huge student loan burden than I am in supporting a guy who is pulling a half million dollars every time he wins a game of football.

Okeefe

It's fine if you want to switch allegiances, that is your right of course.
But can I ask why you felt the need to come here and rub our noses in this fact? I hope that your new Northwestern family heartily embraces as you as one of their own, and thanks for kicking your former fellow Hawks when we're down.

Enjoy Evanston, and please don't ever come back here.

Please read my post above - that lays out pretty much what is wrong with Iowa football. I love going to IC and hanging out with friends and family before and after the games, but with guys like MelroseGuy and his buddy Paco getting arrested for nothing and this crappy coaching staff, I've seen enough. I'll probably still try to go to one game a year. I think Iowa could be really good in 2011 or 2012 - they'll be back under the radar. It's just that I deluded myself into thinking that maybe, just maybe, despite the fact that I predicted 8-4 going into the season, maybe I was wrong and maybe Iowa could actually win a national title or Rose Bowl in my lifetime and my switching of allegiances is just in response to the heartbreak of the overhyped 2005 and 2010 seasons. I don't want to be like those idiot Cub fans who pay massively inflated ticket prices for a mediocre product that leaves fans saying "well, there's always next year."

I have no problem with O'Keefe saying what he is saying. He demands a premium product for a premium price. The difference is I have always been and always will be a Hawkeye fan. Couldn't see myself pulling for anyone else. That being said, I am sick of seeing the same things game in game out just like O'Keefe. An offense that fails to thrive and a defense that appears to be breaking more than bending. We have said it for YEARS that O'Keefe needs to go. Something needs to happen here. Regarding QB development(the original posting), I can say that I have had discussions with a former QB in the Iowa program(a friend of mine) and he essentially pointed this out to me 3 years ago. The fact that QB's do not get better under O'Keefe. He said O'Keefe doesn't know sh*t about coaching QB's and that Tate without the help of his dad in the offseason would have regressed even more. It is one thing to hear it from a fan, but it is another thing to hear it from someone who was coached by the guy. He told me one story when Iowa was in a 2-minute type offense and O'Keefe turned to the QB's in the confusion and said, "I don't know what to call here". My friend said the lack of confidence in him was astounding.

I have no problem with O'Keefe saying what he is saying. He demands a premium product for a premium price.

I don't have a problem with what he is saying besides the fact he used to call himself a Hawkeye fan. I don't see how a fan of a team just leaves the fanbase because of a loss. He was never a Hawkeye fan. He can call himself a football/Bigten fan but not a Hawkeye fan.

Call me fair weather all you want. So long as sheeple line up to get gouged out of $750 or $950 for decent season football tickets, the powers that be aren't going to make any changes and the one good team every four or so years with a slew of 6-8 win teams is going to be the norm and I don't want to subsidize a $3 million salary with my hard earned money for that crap - I want ONE loss total to Indiana and NU over the course of a decade for that kind of money - it is not too much to ask. Iowa has one of the best offenses it has ever had in terms of talent and O'Keefe managed to muster up a grand total of 35 freaking points against two of the worst defenses in the conference, if not the country. I'm done paying to watch that.

Well you can't tell a man what to spend his money on besides taxes.

God speed to you okeefe4prez. Enjoy your new found NW fandom, and at least you won't have to encounter as many proles in Evanston like in IC.

I don't have a problem with what he is saying besides the fact he used to call himself a Hawkeye fan. I don't see how a fan of a team just leaves the fanbase because of a loss. He was never a Hawkeye fan. He can call himself a football/Bigten fan but not a Hawkeye fan.

Look pal, I'll still DVR the games and watch them when I get home from my cat games. Yesterday was like the time Ric Flair wrestled that one dude in the "retirement match" and the loser had to retire - same thing - Iowa was playing for my loyalty as a season ticket purchaser and they lost. I'm going to be a cat fan and a Hawk fan - nothing can change that, but I can't in good conscience keep blowing cash on Iowa tickets. I can get cat tickets for around $200 and still get to see all the great B10 players come to town, with the new divisions, I will get to see real football programs like Michigan and Nebraska come to town and I am looking forward to it.

So you are saying you can have a split loyalty between two teams? And then decide to root more for the team you live close to? That is the stupidest thing I have heard all day.(its still early) Maybe O'Keefe went to both schools(undergrad vs. grad). He doesn't have the right to root for both teams? Too many kool-aide drinkers get on here with their self righteous BS. O'Keefe can do whatever he wants. At least he provided his reasoning which I think is reasonable. Why should anyone hate on him. He's not forcing his beliefs on you or anything of that nature. Back off him.

At first I thought okeefe was just being a annoying a-hole, but I get it now.

Not condoning his attitude, but I understand.

I am a former Iowa fan who is moving to Evanston in a few weeks. I bought a nice place downtown and am getting it fixed up a little bit. I am a current Hawk season ticket holder but I declared before the game that if Iowa lost to NU yet again, I was going to buy NU season tickets next year and start going to those games instead of Iowa games (which is also partially in response to the Gestapo-like tactics of the ICPD on gamedays now).

I think Fitz is the best coach in the B10 given what he does year and year out with the tight academic requirements up at NU and I am impressed with the fact that he doesn't recruit guys like Bonecrusher Williams, Dougie Fresh, Satterfield, etc. who cause problems around town or end up as wards of the state. Being a NU fan is good, they never have any expectations so if they win, great, if they lose, meh, so what, they're Northwestern.

I'm done donating $400 a seat to contribute to the salaries of a coaching staff that runs a team that got rolled by Indiana and Western Michigan back in 2007, continually loses to NU, etc.

I love Big Ten football and I'll still get to see all the stars of the Big Ten come through my hometown but I won't have to drive over 7 hours round trip, pay $300 a night for a motel room, and drop $1500 on my two seats.

Sorry you're leaving Kenny, but Evanston does look like a nice town. Maybe you should just lower your expectations for Iowa. I think that's why a lot of people are so disappointed this year. They had extremely high expectations, myself included. Losing sucks. When people on the board said things like "one game at a time", they got slammed for being downers, but it's because they KNEW, especially if following the Hawks for while, that there was a good chance we could lose any game. It's just a coping mechanism for dealing with a probable loss. Last year was special, because they exceeded expectations. The only game that I really wanted the Hawks to win this year was the NW game. I'm tired of watching us be beat by them. It didn't happen.

I'm done donating $400 a seat: So don't. Did you know you can still get tickets without donating....just for the cost of a season ticket? Or just buy a couple for the IA-NW game for next year so you can watch your two favs play again. You can sit with me in the South End Zone with all the other proles..and near the band and in the first couple of rows and we can make sarcastic comments about the coaching the whole game. Sure...you'll have to watch the jumbo tron for any play that's past the closest 20 yard line..or just ask the guy next to you "what happened?", but sitting this close to the field has it's benefits. You can high five Herky any time he comes by and maybe you and Mrs O'Keefe can get your picture taken with him...every game! Also, most guys don't seem to mind the fact that you don't need a zoom on your camera to get close ups of the cheerleaders navels when they're dancing in front of us. And when we do win...no matter who we beat, you have the opportunity to quickly push down a Per Mar guy and run out on the field. Only thing is...you HAVE to pump up the burrito!;)

pay $300 a night for a motel room: Criminy...the Comfort Suites in Coralville only charges $200/night during football season! AND, you can hop the train and alleviate any parking concerns. You've got friends and family in Iowa City? Lucky you. Impose on them and stay fo' free in exchange for your wit and dry humor...and maybe a bottle of wine.

Can't help you with having to travel so far to a game though. I drive about 4 hours to Hawk games. I dread that, but the alternative is changing alliances and driving 90 minutes and going to watch the Gophers. Can't think of anything worse! :D (except getting beat by them:eek:)

You'll be back hoping the Hawks will win...you just can't help it.

Please read my post above - that lays out pretty much what is wrong with Iowa football. I love going to IC and hanging out with friends and family before and after the games, but with guys like MelroseGuy and his buddy Paco getting arrested for nothing and this crappy coaching staff, I've seen enough. I'll probably still try to go to one game a year. I think Iowa could be really good in 2011 or 2012 - they'll be back under the radar. It's just that I deluded myself into thinking that maybe, just maybe, despite the fact that I predicted 8-4 going into the season, maybe I was wrong and maybe Iowa could actually win a national title or Rose Bowl in my lifetime and my switching of allegiances is just in response to the heartbreak of the overhyped 2005 and 2010 seasons. I don't want to be like those idiot Cub fans who pay massively inflated ticket prices for a mediocre product that leaves fans saying "well, there's always next year."
I have accepted the fact that this team will most likely not see another Rose Bowl in my lifetime, but that doesn't mean I'm switching my allegiance to some other team! Of course, losing to Nebraska every year is going to be very hard to take.

With all due respect, what QB's during the Ferentz era have been significantly developed by our system as judged by overall play and the two minute drill? Stanzi has better efficiency and lower int's but can't seem to win games anymore. Also, Banks doesn't count - he was a juco transfer. Chander? Definitely not Tate.

Last year, Jon you wrote an article prediciting a national title for Iowa based on numerous factors of past championship teams. A leading factor was a returning QB for obvious reasons, experience, improved playmaking, etc. We just don't seem to be developing improved playmakers in this position anymore. Compare our QB development today to Hartlieb and Long for instance.

Stanzi is having one of the best seasons ever by an Iowa quarterback. He has improved every year he has been at Iowa. Hartlieb's best mark was 10-3. This year's team could still do that.

Stanzi has the second most wins by an Iowa starting quarterback, ever.

Honestly, if you are questioning the development of Stanzi, you either have no understanding of football or you just started watching him play at beginning of the 4th quarter on Saturday. It's unbelievably ridiculous to suggest he's not progressed.

The progression:

Didn't play as red-shirt or as a frosh. (Lost out in a battle for the backup position with McNutt and/or Nelson, I believe.)

As sophomore, won the starting job and consistently improved throughout the season. Culminated with winning drive against Penn St. and thrashing of Minny and S. Carolina.

As junior, good-Ricky/bad-Ricky emerged. Still played well for the most part. Iowa won every game he started and finished.

As senior, putting up numbers that have gotten him noticed for national awards. Probably the third best season an Iowa QB has had in the modern era.

I think the "progression" that the OP was talking about was in regards to 2-minute offense, not necessarily overall development. But I maybe misunderstood.

I think the "progression" that the OP was talking about was in regards to 2-minute offense, not necessarily overall development. But I maybe misunderstood.

If that's the case, it's an argument you can have. I thought it was about overall development.

If that's the case, it's an argument you can have. I thought it was about overall development.

Agreed - how many games can you expect a guy to win in a 2 minute drill per season? The MSU 09 and PSU 08 games are about a career's worth of wins and thrills from Ricky if you ask me. You can't lean on the kid to do it 3 times a year, no one can do it that often.

Honestly...I can't believe I'm saying this...but OK4prez...is actually right...can't say I agree with it all...and I'm not moving to NW...but I share almost all of his views about the offense and such....never thought this day would come....

Honestly, if you are questioning the development of Stanzi, you either have no understanding of football or you just started watching him play at beginning of the 4th quarter on Saturday. It's unbelievably ridiculous to suggest he's not progressed.

The progression:

Didn't play as red-shirt or as a frosh. (Lost out in a battle for the backup position with McNutt and/or Nelson, I believe.)

As sophomore, won the starting job and consistently improved throughout the season. Culminated with winning drive against Penn St. and thrashing of Minny and S. Carolina.

As junior, good-Ricky/bad-Ricky emerged. Still played well for the most part. Iowa won every game he started and finished.

As senior, putting up numbers that have gotten him noticed for national awards. Probably the third best season an Iowa QB has had in the modern era.

Sorry for the double post...but the above is just wrong...statistically yes...but Ricky still suffers from major problems...he NEVER moves through his progressions correctly (if you watch video he either locks on and throws it deep right away, or goes from short routes to long routes which is the opposite of what a good QB does) and it seems he has gone too far the other way....QB's need to have a little bit of that gunslinger in them, but he seems almost too hesitant to throw that pass now...if there is ANY chance it may be picked....

Statistically Ricky is better....but as a QB no...and I challenge you to watch the film from the games this year and tell me Ricky is going from long to short in his progression or not locking on to his receiver like he knew he was going to throw it to before they broke the huddle...
QB coaching is **** poor here.

Let me add something else - I still love the U of Iowa and if they revise the football ticket policy so that I can allocate my ticket donation to an academic pursuit that will help youngsters get the same opportunities that I was fortunate enough to have received from the U of Iowa, there is a chance I will retain my tickets, but if the cash continues to line the pockets of Ferentz, Barta, O'Keefe, Erb and paying Todd Lickliter's severance or whatever, I would rather just spend my money elsewhere.

Sorry to say that I pretty much agree with what okeefe has posted thus far. I was going to donate a substantial amount this year and try to fly from Japan once in awhile for the big games but the comment above is exactly why I had decided to wait it out. Don't get me wrong, I know it would've helped the school in the long run but not for the product which okeefe mentions. I'm not a KOK fan and still think we need a QB coach.

Side note: I have a family member who's been a life long and huge Florida State donator/booster (I grew up in Florida so I also was a fan. ;)) After hearing his story's and seeing how much it's really controlled his life, I'll rather sit back and be a casual fan. The Bowden thing was internally ugly.

I still have family that lives in Iowa City and work in the university, so I do try to visit and support when I can. :)

Latest posts