Iowa player leaving

another RB offer seems strange to me...

i think it follows with the idea of get the best football players you can and find a place for them on the field. linebackers and running backs fit that mold - how many players have we recruited that came in as a RB and are now in the NFL as a DL or LB? i can think of several without trying too hard.

Are we sure its not "Iowa Players Leaving....." like the mass exodus of kids being chased away by Ferentz because they are too talented or because Ferentz is jealous of talented kids and playmakers?

i think it follows with the idea of get the best football players you can and find a place for them on the field. linebackers and running backs fit that mold - how many players have we recruited that came in as a RB and are now in the NFL as a DL or LB? i can think of several without trying too hard.

He could be a LB or a FB. Would be get to get a FB again who has some offensive experience/skills instead of converting LB's who are buried on the depth chart.

Let's take it step by step to make it easier to understand.

entering the 2015 year, Ott was on scholarship and counted towards the maximum 85 limit.

At the end of 2015, all graduating players along with any early entrys are removed from the 85 scholarship limit.

Because Ott asked for an extra year, he is considered still under scholarship and his scholarship counts towards the 85 man limit.

Drew Ott isn't taking anyone's scholarship because he never relinquished his own.

If they decline his request Iowa would then get that scholarship back to use on another player.

But when the team looks to fill future scholly's they have to estimate and count how many will have available. So, they most likely didn't predict Ott would have a scholarship for next year as he would have graduated. So, he didn't relinquish his, but he would take a scholly from a 2016 season player for his medical redshirt year. So, he is indeed taking an estimated scholly that was to go to someone else.

But when the team looks to fill future scholly's they have to estimate and count how many will have available. So, they most likely didn't predict Ott would have a scholarship for next year as he would have graduated. So, he didn't relinquish his, but he would take a scholly from a 2016 season player for his medical redshirt year. So, he is indeed taking an estimated scholly that was to go to someone else.

yes, again, 85 is 85. it will be either he or someone else who will hold that one slot. i'll take ott - best recruit of the class of 2016! :) and again, if it wouldn't be a player of ott's caliber, the staff wouldn't be filing the waiver - i.e. they'd free it up for the 'next guy'....

not exactly. Do you think they got to January and thought hey maybe Ott can get an extra year!

They have planned for that possibility since the day after his surgery I'm sure. So while yes, him still being on scholarship right now means they can't offer another scholarship to another player, I don't know how that would be any different than someone like King who many thought might leave early.

not exactly. Do you think they got to January and thought hey maybe Ott can get an extra year!

They have planned for that possibility since the day after his surgery I'm sure. So while yes, him still being on scholarship right now means they can't offer another scholarship to another player, I don't know how that would be any different than someone like King who many thought might leave early.

exactly right.

Not to get too focused on the Ott scenario (if true) as there could well be other player/s that are making alternate plans. Certainly wouldn't be unusual this time of the year. Seems to be some new prospect names arising as of late that could indicate other departure/s or the staff simply putting together back up plans.

Are we sure its not "Iowa Players Leaving....." like the mass exodus of kids being chased away by Ferentz because they are too talented or because Ferentz is jealous of talented kids and playmakers?

Word is most are heading out west where they'll play for Knute Campbell. Apparently most are super impressed with his plethora of National Championships as a player.

I get that we take the best recruits we can get, and he would be our best RB in this class, but we have good backs in this class and bigger holes IMO.

Why in the world would Ott need a 'scholarship'. By definition, 'scholar'=school, 'ship'=paid for. Hasn't Ott completed school by now? why then does he need to 'pay' for school?

Why in the world would Ott need a 'scholarship'. By definition, 'scholar'=school, 'ship'=paid for. Hasn't Ott completed school by now? why then does he need to 'pay' for school?

You can't play for a school if you don't attend said school.

I believe that there were thought to be 25 scholarships available for the 2016 class and that not all 25 had been offered yet. I may be wrong, but pretty sure that is correct.

What if 5th yr seniors (MOST kids DO redshirt) have graduated. Can they not play? Are they then forced to grad school to play? Makes no sense

What if 5th yr seniors (MOST kids DO redshirt) have graduated. Can they not play? Are they then forced to grad school to play? Makes no sense
They can take more undergrad classes to work towards another major or enroll in graduate school.

Why does that not make sense? You realize that they are considered "scholar-athletes". That means they have to be enrolled in school to play college sports. I'm not sure what you don't understand about that?

Latest posts