Iowa player leaving

Hunz

Brodner on Iowa -"They said they waited to offer until today because something happened with one of their guys."
I wonder who he is referring to. I heard from someone on Twitter that a players parent said a current Iowa roster player is leaving. No names were mentioned but this would make sense since they are recruiting Brodner along with the OTs coming tomorrow. I wonder who it would be? Andre Harris? Jonathan Parker?

It was a weird offer and made me think Toks was thinking of flipping to Indiana, maybe it is a current roster guy.

Maybe they learned about Drew Ott's fate. I'm assuming they were holding a scholarship for Drew in case he got an extra year.

That's a good thought but I kind of doubt that he would take up a scholarship spot with a medical hardship waiver. I would think that since he was expected to leave because he's a senior Iowa wouldn't have to come up with another scholarship to retain him.

That's a good thought but I kind of doubt that he would take up a scholarship spot with a medical hardship waiver. I would think that since he was expected to leave because he's a senior Iowa wouldn't have to come up with another scholarship to retain him.

sure he would. he has to be a student - who is going to foot the bill?

p.s. a poster on the 'other site' says that he and his family are making preparations to move to the next stage of life given what they believe their fate to be - ott - and denial of the medical redshirt waiver. poster is from ott's home town/area in NE and has connections.

So you're telling me that if Ott does receive a medical hardship then Iowa would have to pull another players scholarship?

sure - the scholarship counts against the team total of 85. how wouldn't it? why would iowa have to pull another players scholarship? if ott can't come back, his scholarship number is then freed up for another player.

sure - the scholarship counts against the team total of 85. how wouldn't it? why would iowa have to pull another players scholarship? if ott can't come back, his scholarship number is then freed up for another player.

I said if Ott DOES come back to Iowa. Then according to you he assumes a scholarship and therefore Iowa would need to free that space for him which they didn't foresee before this year because he was supposed to have graduated.

i'm pretty sure it does. 85 scholarships is 85 scholarships.

I know the SEC has found a way to get around this. Moving players who haven't worked out and have no chance of seeing the playing field to Medical Hardship Scholarships in order to bring in new recruits.

I guess I don't know how the count works, but in Ott's case, he was on scholarship this year, and would be next year as well if he was allowed to return. If he does not return that obviously frees up a scholarship for someone else.

I know the SEC has found a way to get around this. Moving players who haven't worked out and have no chance of seeing the playing field to Medical Hardship Scholarships in order to bring in new recruits.

I guess I don't know how the count works, but in Ott's case, he was on scholarship this year, and would be next year as well if he was allowed to return. If he does not return that obviously frees up a scholarship for someone else.

the sec uses it to remove players from the team and still pay their education 'medical exemption'.

I said if Ott DOES come back to Iowa. Then according to you he assumes a scholarship and therefore Iowa would need to free that space for him which they didn't foresee before this year because he was supposed to have graduated.

if they didn't want him back they wouldn't apply. simple as that.

i get everything you are saying. i was referring to the staff, not you or any other fan. if they didn't want him taking a scholarship, they wouldn't have filed the waiver paperwork. they did file, so they are planning the scholarship numbers accordingly. if he wins, he'll have a scholarship. if he does not, someone else will take that spot - a new recruit, or a walk on awarded a scholly, etc.

85 scholarship players on the roster is 85 scholarship players on the roster. if he is on the roster next year, he will be 1 of those 85.

Let's take it step by step to make it easier to understand.

entering the 2015 year, Ott was on scholarship and counted towards the maximum 85 limit.

At the end of 2015, all graduating players along with any early entrys are removed from the 85 scholarship limit.

Because Ott asked for an extra year, he is considered still under scholarship and his scholarship counts towards the 85 man limit.

Drew Ott isn't taking anyone's scholarship because he never relinquished his own.

If they decline his request Iowa would then get that scholarship back to use on another player.

Let's take it step by step to make it easier to understand.

entering the 2015 year, Ott was on scholarship and counted towards the maximum 85 limit.

At the end of 2015, all graduating players along with any early entrys are removed from the 85 scholarship limit.

Because Ott asked for an extra year, he is considered still under scholarship and his scholarship counts towards the 85 man limit.

Drew Ott isn't taking anyone's scholarship because he never relinquished his own.

If they decline his request Iowa would then get that scholarship back to use on another player.

Thanks Clark! :)

Latest posts