MLB - Morris, B. Davis
WLB - Kirksey, Hitchens
LC - Prater, Bernstine
SS - Sleeper, Bernstine
FS - Hyde, Miller
RC - Castillo, Hyde

P - Guthrie
K - Meyer, Mossbrucker

wow that many walk-ons ....... Iowa must really be doing a worthless job of recruiting last few years.

Actually they have done a great job the last two years thats why you are seeing so many freshman playing.

The two years before that were pretty weak, 2007 was the flood year where they didn't have a summer camp, that class was particularly poor.

Blaming Castillo is an easy out but I saw mistakes from all of the defensive backs. Prater missed a tackle on Horne that would have stopped him for about a 6-8 yard gain instead it was something like a 40 yard gain. On the 3 and 20 play on ISU's final drive it was Prater who was covering Reynolds. On the 3 and 15 play where horne caught it for a first down it was Hyde who was the defender. But ultimately it rests on the Dline because no defensive back can cover a receiver for that long.

Hyde and Prater have actually made plays in their Iowa football careers before.

I'm one for playing a younger guy like Nico Law and Darian Cooper. Those guys have tremendous talent. Will they make mistakes? Absolutely, but I would rather have the play making ability. Put Hyde back at corner and put Law with Bernstine at safety.

Best post in this thread.

I think the injury to BJ Lowery really affected the secondary. If we have Lowery at corner opposite of Prater and Bernstine at safety opposite of Hyde; then our secondary would be a lot better. Castillo is just gawd awful and not good enough to be a starter and Sleeper is horrendous at tackling for a SS. We need Bernstine out there this week flying around the ball and hitting people (hopefully he is healthy).

Re: 12 walk-ons

I count 12

WR - McNutt, Staggs
LT - Reiff, Donnal
LG - Tobin, Scherff
C - Ferentz, Boffeli
RG - Gettis, Orne
RT - Zusevics, Van Sloten
TE - Herman, Fiedorowicz/Z. Derby
WR - K. Davis, Martin-Manley
QB - Vandenberg, A.J. Derby
RB - Coker, White
FB - Gimm, Meyers

DE - Daniel, Bigach
DT - Alvis, Nardo
DT - Daniels, Gaglione
DE - Binns, Forgy
OLB - T. Nielsen, Donatell
MLB - Morris, B. Davis
WLB - Kirksey, Hitchens
LC - Prater, Bernstine
SS - Sleeper, Bernstine
FS - Hyde, Miller
RC - Castillo, Hyde

P - Guthrie
K - Meyer, Mossbrucker

I could be wrong, but probably the majority of D1 schools have kickers that are/were non-scholarship players.
If it werent for injuries to Lowery and Mac, there wouldn't be any walk-ons in the starting lineup. How many is too many? I don't know, but if those same spots on the 2-deeps were filled with "talented" freshmen, I have a feeling everyone would be saying the sky is falling because we are having to play true frosh.

Latest posts