Iowa-Pitt Two Deeps

These really mean nothing. hitchens played for an injured Nielsen for an example. what is listed here and who plays meaningful snaps has nothing to do with a depth chart published on a Monday.

Blaming Castillo is an easy out but I saw mistakes from all of the defensive backs. Prater missed a tackle on Horne that would have stopped him for about a 6-8 yard gain instead it was something like a 40 yard gain. On the 3 and 20 play on ISU's final drive it was Prater who was covering Reynolds. On the 3 and 15 play where horne caught it for a first down it was Hyde who was the defender. But ultimately it rests on the Dline because no defensive back can cover a receiver for that long.

These really mean nothing. hitchens played for an injured Nielsen for an example. what is listed here and who plays meaningful snaps has nothing to do with a depth chart published on a Monday.

+1. These 2 deeps mean nothing. All they are good for is stirring up conversation HERE.

Blaming Castillo is an easy out but I saw mistakes from all of the defensive backs. Prater missed a tackle on Horne that would have stopped him for about a 6-8 yard gain instead it was something like a 40 yard gain. On the 3 and 20 play on ISU's final drive it was Prater who was covering Reynolds. On the 3 and 15 play where horne caught it for a first down it was Hyde who was the defender. But ultimately it rests on the Dline because no defensive back can cover a receiver for that long.

Totally agree. Hyde should be playing CB. That project has flown like a lead Zeppelin. Consider my head scratched. Off.

The issue is the D Line. As I have said over and over, it has been a decade since an Iowa DT recruit has stuck. There are guys from other positions ready to play next year or even later this year. Nobody on the DL.

Also, as I have said, last year there was nobody to step in when Gettis and Mac went down at RG. Vandy retires, which means they both need to start. Mac is out. Who is miraculously supposed to improve so dramatically in one Spring and Summer?

I guess the question is, would it be better to play JR and SR walk-ons or freshman scholarship guys?

I guess it depends on if you can put together some wins. If things start falling apart, the youth movement should commence.

I'm one for playing a younger guy like Nico Law and Darian Cooper. Those guys have tremendous talent. Will they make mistakes? Absolutely, but I would rather have the play making ability. Put Hyde back at corner and put Law with Bernstine at safety.

I think we need to evaluate a couple things.........

Need to move Hyde back to CB and let Bernstein or Miller play safety

Also there has to be someone else to get in at guard next to Reiff.......I thought our OL was 10 deep this year and it seems we have no one to try and give a shot over Tobin. I don't get it

This is as sober and prescient of an analysis as I have read this season. Spot on sir.

Hit the wrong button. What IowaBoy85 said on page 3 that is...

And the two-deeps certainly COULD be used for motivation. Just because they are not currently does not make it right. Every season and every team is different and may require different motivation...

Tobin is not starter talent at the guard sport at all, which is scary since nobody else can step up and over take him. Sleeper is a nice story and all, but not gonna cut it during big ten season. Lebron Daniel is not good enough at the DE position. Herman and CJ are not blocking very well at all and Herman is not becoming much of a threat in the passing game either.

Its either the coaches are not seeing any of the backups step up in practice (which is scary with the lack of talent on the field) or are putting too much emphasis on being an upperclassman.

Also, it looks like Norm and the rest of the defensive staff need to get back to basics with the players. Fundamentals are horrible, especially the tackling. Its like watching a little league football game with kids who are not used to tackling. Its the most gawd awful thing to watch this year. We probably couldn't tackle Okeefe for prez's MA right now.

Nailed it. The tackling saturday was terrible, worst I've seen in a long, long time.

Any updates on the status of McMillan? The oline could really use him right now. Coker was frustrated whenever he ran left and was getting hit in the backfield. I tried to watch my recording of the game to have more objective opinions but got frustrated again and deleted it. They better be good and angry on Saturday or it could be a looooong day.

As badly as DE Ed Daniel played Satuday, and Alvis was manhandled much of the time, if they'd move Alvis to DE, and let Nardo, Davis and Cooper fight it out for that DT spot next to Daniels. I suspect Alvis ends up at DE if not this year, next and it'd give us some more size and strength at DT. Alvis, may evolve into being a starting DT but, he isn't Klug, Kroul or King right now and the middle of the defense can't be that soft. Let the likely DT's of the future fight Nardo for that spot.

Latest posts