Iowa offers Oglesby

If he's Iowa's to lose, he's sure playing it cool. Says he intends to take all five official visits to schools other than Iowa, because we're so close he doesn't need to spend an official on us.

Either the info that he was supposedly hot to trot for Iowa was in error, or he feels the need to let everyone know he's not about to give in easily. If that's the case, he should be careful about playing that game too aggressively.

Did you read the book: "The Blind Side?" Michael Oher knew where he was going to go in September, but still took the opportunity to see all the Universities anyway and then went to Ole Miss as he always planned.
If I were a quality player, and The Lord knows I am not, I would have wanted to see everything each school had to offer even if in my head I knew where I was going. Regardless, there is always a little curiosity, Oglesby is human, why not look. Iowa took its sweet time offering him, which is fine, I have zero issues with that, let Oglesby take his time in deciding.
Another school may have something to offer he didn't know, why miss out on that chance?
In the end, if Oglesby does go somewhere else, I would be surprised, but don't question his want to go see other schools, it is his choice after all.

I have read articles where Ferentz has said the same basic thing to recruits. At some point, when it looks like you may not get the position needs that you are looking for, you go after the best available player. Even if his position isn't a priority. This isn't desperation...it's smart. Especially when you really need to significantly upgrade the talent level of your roster.

An excellent point Burky. +1

Did you read the book: "The Blind Side?" Michael Oher knew where he was going to go in September, but still took the opportunity to see all the Universities anyway and then went to Ole Miss as he always planned.
If I were a quality player, and The Lord knows I am not, I would have wanted to see everything each school had to offer even if in my head I knew where I was going. Regardless, there is always a little curiosity, Oglesby is human, why not look. Iowa took its sweet time offering him, which is fine, I have zero issues with that, let Oglesby take his time in deciding.
Another school may have something to offer he didn't know, why miss out on that chance?
In the end, if Oglesby does go somewhere else, I would be surprised, but don't question his want to go see other schools, it is his choice after all.

Why would I read the book? It's a movie.:)

Well, if it was true for Michael Oher, it must be true for Oglesby, too--right? LOL

Look, I'm not "questioning his want" or his right to visit other schools or handle hs recruitment in any way he sees fit. It goes without saying that it's his right to do so. I'm saying that most players who get an offer from an alleged "childhood dream" school don't putz around too long visiting other programs before they make a decision. And whatever his reasons for approaching it that way--whether it's because getting an Iowa offer wasn't that big a deal to him after all, or he feels a little slighted by the timing and wants to let Fran twist in the wind for a while, or he just wants to take five free ego-stroking trips--he could let it go too long and lose the offer.

Well, if it was true for Michael Oher, it must be true for Oglesby, too--right? LOL

Look, I'm not "questioning his want" or his right to visit other schools or handle hs recruitment in any way he sees fit. It goes without saying that it's his right to do so. I'm saying that most players who get an offer from an alleged "childhood dream" school don't putz around too long visiting other programs before they make a decision. And whatever his reasons for approaching it that way--whether it's because getting an Iowa offer wasn't that big a deal to him after all, or he feels a little slighted by the timing and wants to let Fran twist in the wind for a while, or he just wants to take five free ego-stroking trips--he could let it go too long and lose the offer.

I agree. In my mind the only reason to explore other offers is because you think you can find a better one...

Again, because people are beating down the doors to come to Iowa?:rolleyes:

Today's generation is all about having the ego stroked...it must be a nightmare trying to recruit in today's age. Again, even if it is his childhood dream, he has the right to visit who he wants and I am not worried about losing him to another Big Ten school, even though we have lost a few players in recent memory. Keep in mind "childhood dreams" are just that, reality of situations sets in as we get older. Think about all the stuff you were going to do as a kid, have you done it all, if you have then you are truly blessed. With Iowa's recent track record, people aren't knocking down the door and me, I don't want a kid to go to Iowa and decide it wasn't the choice that fits him and he leaves. The madness of these players leaving the program must end, so Josh, take all the visits you must and if Iowa is really your choice or not your choice, so be it.

Las Vegas Day 4: Playaz have winning pair in Anderson, Mack - MaxPreps News

Josh Oglesby, a 6-5 guard/wing also from Cedar Rapids has plenty of high-major options on his plate already, but don't be surprised if even more come his way after his play at the Fab 48.

He is mulling offers from Arizona State, Boston College, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota and Northwestern, but isn't entirely ruling out other high-major schools.

"If I opened up coaches' eyes and they call me, that's great, but if not have my six schools that have offered and I will choose from them," Oglesby said.

Oglesby twisted the knife with just over two minutes remaining with a steal and behind-the-back pass to teammate Josh Montague for a dunk.

More on Josh...

Hikeem Stewart shines at Las Vegas Fab 48 - ESPN

• The Iowa Barnstormers have a legitimate D-I wing type in 6-5 Josh Oglesby (Cedar Rapids, Iowa/Washington). He has a frame with some upside and is a knock-down shooter with a quick release, not too mention an astute passer.

The more I read about this kid, the more I discount the earlier reports that he can't be a solid all-around player. I would like to see Iowa get Oglesby at this point for the reasons that he can pass, shoot and he has size, so being an undersized '3' at times is not out of the question.

I agree. I saw him twice during last season and saw nothing special but there is too much evidence to the contrary to ignore.

Latest posts