Iowa offers Oglesby

If Oglesby commits I assume Coleman will go elsewhere.

In one of the items I read, Josh said that in his telephone conversation about the offer, Fran referred to having an opening because of Uthoff and Jesperson going elsewhere. That would suggest that they've decided to offer Oglesby more in the 3 slot than the 1/2.

Of course, those labels don't necessarily mean much in practice but in recruiting, it can mean something to the other guys you're trying to recruit--like Coleman. I don't think they're looking to take Oglesby in lieu of a guard who can take it to the rack and create.

I would like to see us make a push for Tuttle as well, especially if he is actually up to 6'8" or 6'9". He has committed to UNI but I've read a lot of good things about his motor. With it looking more and more like we will have 5 rides to give out (including Archie's), I'm getting nervous about this class.

Seth is going to UNI, I think you can take that to the bank. He understood other offers may be coming (including ISU, which his family is a huge fan of), but felt UNI was the right choice for him. Never say never, but I"m 99% that it's "case closed" on that one.

I would like to see us make a push for Tuttle as well, especially if he is actually up to 6'8" or 6'9". He has committed to UNI but I've read a lot of good things about his motor. With it looking more and more like we will have 5 rides to give out (including Archie's), I'm getting nervous about this class.
We can't go after Tuttle, he's headed to UNI. I don't see that changing.
The scouts were raving about his game, the Panthers got a great one w/ him.

In one of the items I read, Josh said that in his telephone conversation about the offer, Fran referred to having an opening because of Uthoff and Jesperson going elsewhere. That would suggest that they've decided to offer Oglesby more in the 3 slot than the 1/2.

Of course, those labels don't necessarily mean much in practice but in recruiting, it can mean something to the other guys you're trying to recruit--like Coleman. I don't think they're looking to take Oglesby in lieu of a guard who can take it to the rack and create.

Maybe that's true...in which case WOW.

High School Senior - Hey sweetie I've got some good news...Jenny turned me down and went to Prom with Mike...and Sally basically told me to go f myself...so I guess that means you're in. By the way...if I agree to score a 6 pack of Two Dog...can I get any kind of guarantee on an HJ? Or maybe something better?

Moderately Attractive Girl - Ummm...I guess I don't know what to say about that?

High School Senior - Well could you give me an answer sooner rather than later...because although Martha is fat...if I get a bucket of KFC I'm guaranteed a BJ...so you know...just keep that in mind.

I need to correct something I wrote above, as I misinterpreted what Josh told Rob Howe. As it was written, Josh's comment did not indicate that Fran told him he was getting an offer now because Uthoff and Jesperson declined. Josh said Fran explained that the reason, or at least a reason, they got offers earlier was because the needs were greater at forward, and they were getting around to guards a little later. Even that description requires some interpretation, but the important point is that I was mistaken in asserting that Fran told him he was getting an offer because Uthoff and Jesperson went elsewhere.

Sorry for the misinformation.

I need to correct something I wrote above, as I misinterpreted what Josh told Rob Howe. As it was written, Josh's comment did not indicate that Fran told him he was getting an offer now because Uthoff and Jesperson declined. Josh said Fran explained that the reason, or at least a reason, they got offers earlier was because the needs were greater at forward, and they were getting around to guards a little later. Even that description requires some interpretation, but the important point is that I was mistaken in asserting that Fran told him he was getting an offer because Uthoff and Jesperson went elsewhere.

Sorry for the misinformation.

I have read articles where Ferentz has said the same basic thing to recruits. At some point, when it looks like you may not get the position needs that you are looking for, you go after the best available player. Even if his position isn't a priority. This isn't desperation...it's smart. Especially when you really need to significantly upgrade the talent level of your roster.

Spank-

Given Oglesby's express interest in the Hawks, is there any reason why he has not committed?

Go Hawks!

Could be that he would want to wait until he talks it over with his parents to make a fully informed decision. This is a pretty big step for the kid, and if I were his parent I'd want him to make absolutely sure about his choice.

Still playing, doing his thing.
Again, he's Iowa's to lose.

If he's Iowa's to lose, he's sure playing it cool. Says he intends to take all five official visits to schools other than Iowa, because we're so close he doesn't need to spend an official on us.

Either the info that he was supposedly hot to trot for Iowa was in error, or he feels the need to let everyone know he's not about to give in easily. If that's the case, he should be careful about playing that game too aggressively.

If he's Iowa's to lose, he's sure playing it cool. Says he intends to take all five official visits to schools other than Iowa, because we're so close he doesn't need to spend an official on us.

Either the info that he was supposedly hot to trot for Iowa was in error, or he feels the need to let everyone know he's not about to give in easily. If that's the case, he should be careful about playing that game too aggressively.

Yeah, cause the line of guys beating down the door at Carver is long.:rolleyes:

Per the high school website, it was stated that he would not make a decision until after August 1st regardless of offers. He doesn't need to fly to Iowa City either, nor stay in a hotel. Therefore he is saving everyone money by not taking an official visit to Iowa. He stated he will be down there visiting and he will get to know folks and get his questions answered.

He is a skilled player. He is a traditional put the ball in the hole scorer, behind the arc, off the dribble, from the FT line etc. He is more than just a three point shooter and most people don't know that he is an incredible passer. He will also be the best basketball player in terms of IQ. He is a guy that needs to be seen to understand which is why the more that see him understand. That is why I don't think he minds that the Iowa offer came late, I think he knew it was coming regardless so in his mind he always had it. I think he is just sticking to his plan of playing through July like he said he was, looking at his options like he said he was going to and taking time to dig deeper like any kid probably should. Since returning from the Fab 48 I believe a Big East school has offered as well. He knew he needed to play it out and let people see him, including Coach Fran. From Maxpreps:

Josh Oglesby, a 6-5 guard/wing also from Cedar Rapids has plenty of high-major options on his plate already, but don't be surprised if even more come his way after his play at the Fab 48.

He is mulling offers from ArizonaState, Boston College, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota and Northwestern, but isn't entirely ruling out other high-major schools.

"If I opened up coaches' eyes and they call me, that's great, but if not I have my six schools that have offered and I will choose from them," Oglesby said.

"Oglesby twisted the knife with just over two minutes remaining with a steal and behind-the-back pass to teammate Josh Montague for a dunk.

Latest posts