Iowa offers Oglesby

SixerHawk

POS
apparently offered in vegas this past weekend. i've always been skeptical of Josh but in Fran i trust so i have to believe he has improved his game immensely this summer.

Glad to see the offer, it is important that Iowa get the next top player in the state, he can flat out shoot and there will be lots of looks in the wide open attack. From what I read, Iowa has been his top even without and offer, we will see.

Last edited:
Good. I was hoping Oglesby would get an offer.

I know we have a lot of good talent in the state next year, but I really wouldn't mind bringing a couple solid out of state athletes who can get up and down the court and just Oglesby from in state next year. Put together a team that plays fast, tough and fun basketball and see if we can't start turning some heads for the following seasons.

Very nice. Signs point to him wanting to play for Iowa so hopefully this works out. Hopefully the start of a very good recruiting class...

I don't know much about Oglesby but if Fran and this staff extend the offer I have confidence he fits into what we need and hope we get him. I like the approach to recruiting- identify the in state kids that we want and go after them and at the same time extend the recruiting nationally. If Oglesby commits I assume Coleman will go elsewhere.

I don't know much about Oglesby but if Fran and this staff extend the offer I have confidence he fits into what we need and hope we get him. I like the approach to recruiting- identify the in state kids that we want and go after them and at the same time extend the recruiting nationally. If Oglesby commits I assume Coleman will go elsewhere.

I wouldn't assume that by any means. With a potential of 5 rides available next season, I think there is definitely room for both Coleman and Oglesby(or a combination of any two SGs).

I wouldn't assume that by any means. With a potential of 5 rides available next season, I think there is definitely room for both Coleman and Oglesby(or a combination of any two SGs).

burky I appreciate your insight on things and would certainly welcome seeing both Coeman and Oglesby at Iowa. I had thought that with both Gatens and Marble coming back after next season that we would pick up one shooting guard and focus the rest of the recruiting on the front line. But I see your point about possibly having a fifth scholarship available so Fran seemingly has plenty of options in this class.

burky I appreciate your insight on things and would certainly welcome seeing both Coeman and Oglesby at Iowa. I had thought that with both Gatens and Marble coming back after next season that we would pick up one shooting guard and focus the rest of the recruiting on the front line. But I see your point about possibly having a fifth scholarship available so Fran seemingly has plenty of options in this class.

You could end up being right. I just find it hard to believe that they would offer Josh if they were only going to take one SG. Especially since we are looking decent with the other offers there(but by no means a lock). But you can never tell. My thoughts are they will take 2 of 3 between Coleman, Oglesby and Thomas. And then we either fill out the class with bigs or we take two bigs and bank the last scholly for next year's important class(of course if you choose the latter you may as well have Archie come back).

I like this recruiting method by the way. One of Alford's problems seemed to be that he put all of his eggs in one basket when it came to recruiting. He would hold offers from some while he waited for his first choice to decide. More often than not, we would end up coming in second for that recruit and then he would have to scramble to find a Plan B. By that time the pickins were slim.

You could end up being right. I just find it hard to believe that they would offer Josh if they were only going to take one SG. Especially since we are looking decent with the other offers there(but by no means a lock). But you can never tell. My thoughts are they will take 2 of 3 between Coleman, Oglesby and Thomas. And then we either fill out the class with bigs or we take two bigs and bank the last scholly for next year's important class(of course if you choose the latter you may as well have Archie come back).

I like this recruiting method by the way. One of Alford's problems seemed to be that he put all of his eggs in one basket when it came to recruiting. He would hold offers from some while he waited for his first choice to decide. More often than not, we would end up coming in second for that recruit and then he would have to scramble to find a Plan B. By that time the pickins were slim.

You are the first person I agree with on Iowa's past recruiting "plan." Under Alford there was no plan because he couldn't get his first options to qualify academically, then we were left with players like JR Angle...Also, there seemed to be no real "plan" with Lickliter until this past class, unfortunately Coach Fran couldn't get them all on campus, but I am very happy with who will be there, he has a method and I love the diversity of the offers and the amount of kids offered.

JR Angle committed as a sophmore in HS..too early,it turned out,at least for Iowa.
But SA did pursue good players like Etwaun Moore,Hummell,Sheron Collins,Travon Hughes,...and miss on them all. Then we were left with not such great options...but he had Tyler Smith in his second to last class and Jake kelly,D.Gary and Jarryd Cole in his last..not bad.

If I remember correctly, JR committed when he was like a sophomore. Not sure that counts as a fall back. More like too early of a committment.

I would like to see us make a push for Tuttle as well, especially if he is actually up to 6'8" or 6'9". He has committed to UNI but I've read a lot of good things about his motor. With it looking more and more like we will have 5 rides to give out (including Archie's), I'm getting nervous about this class.

Nice. Hope we get a commit from Josh. How does he compare to that other CR area shooting guard,Grant Gibbs? Both are similar sized players.

Certainly sounds like Josh could rival Matt Gatens as a shooter,which would be good.

Watching both Gibbs and Oglesby over the past couple of years i can tell you height is really about as similar as these guys get. Grant was a point guard through and through, always looking to pass and set up guys as opposed to Josh whos game is much better suited off the ball getting up shots from outside. Gibbs was a little less athletic and didnt have Josh's quickness but he was one of the most clutch players i've seen in high school, more so then JBo one could argue.

Also i would agree with Josh and Matt being comparable as shooters. Josh has one of the sweetest strokes around and seems to have unlimited range. I seem to be talking myself into wanting him as a Hawk more as each day goes by

Glad to see the offer, it is important that Iowa get the next top player in the state...

No, it isn't. If he's worthy of an offer on his own merits, then I'm all for it. But if ever there was a flawed premise, it's that if you miss on the best player in the state you need to offer the next guy down the list.

Last edited: