Iowa Offers Cedar Falls WR Logan Wolf

Very glass half empty response to this.

Glass half response is - Kirk couldn't flip a UNI commit. But at least the coaches identified a kid with good character.

Get over it. Can't win them all. UNI could offer something Iowa couldn't in a chance to play basketball. Definately a shame. I found the kid's athleticism and size interesting.

Guess they'll blame Fran next.

Great article, just read it.

Owings dropped two weight classes to get into Gable's bracket. No way would they let wrestlers do that today.

In my high school days (early 80's) I know guys who would play football at 210 then wrestle at 185. One guy played at 190 then wrestled at 167, even 158. They would punch themselves in the nose hoping that the blood loss would help them make weight. Crazy.

Two studs in college. Jeff Samardzija was another (non QB). But basketball and football are two demanding sports. These two are more difficult to pair together.
Quinn Buckner tried to play both, until Bobby Knight told him to give up football if he wanted to succeed at basketball. Buckner went on to play ten years in the NBA and win two championships with the Celtics, as well as an NCAA championship and an Olympic gold medal.

More recently, Michigan State had a player named Matt Trannon who played both. About ten years ago.

Iowa's Kent Hill once tried both. His football career lasted one practice and cost him a broken hand. That was that for Hill and football.

Quinn Buckner tried to play both, until Bobby Knight told him to give up football if he wanted to succeed at basketball. Buckner went on to play ten years in the NBA and win two championships with the Celtics, as well as an NCAA championship and an Olympic gold medal.

More recently, Michigan State had a player named Matt Trannon who played both. About ten years ago.

Iowa's Kent Hill once tried both. His football career lasted one practice and cost him a broken hand. That was that for Hill and football.

Charlie Ward. 1993 Heisman Trophy winner at Florida State. Also played college basketball. Played in the NBA instead (11 seasons).

Kirk couldn't flip a UNI commit. Proud day.

LOL. Yes...great take...because this kid is exactly what we are missing on our team. I mean we want guys that would rather play at UNI against that schedule in that small little dome, rather than play in Kinnick against Ohio State and Michigan. We need more of those guys with the burning desire to light up South Dakota State or Illinois State. Give me all of those guys we can get.

Nothing against his desire to play two sports, it ain't happening at Iowa, but if this kid's head is in that place...well, I'm not sure he would have been a good fit for Iowa and he's better off at UNI.

LOL. Yes...great take...because this kid is exactly what we are missing on our team. I mean we want guys that would rather play at UNI against that schedule in that small little dome, rather than play in Kinnick against Ohio State and Michigan. We need more of those guys with the burning desire to light up South Dakota State or Illinois State. Give me all of those guys we can get.

Nothing against his desire to play two sports, it ain't happening at Iowa, but if this kid's head is in that place...well, I'm not sure he would have been a good fit for Iowa and he's better off at UNI.

Or we can respect him for honoring his committment and wish him well. You know like CP87 pointed out re Jacobs.

"High integrity shown be Jacobs for sticking with his original choice. Conversely, incredible stupidity shown by KayRon Adams for not seeing the opportunity that Iowa provided for him.

Am I doing it right?

Seriously, much respect to both of these young men for honoring a commitment. Hopefully they both have great college experiences."

Or maybe he also has aspirations to play in the NFL someday. Who knows. But what we do know for certain is that UNI has a former RB AND a former WR on NFL active rosters. Us? Not so much. Not even a practice squad guy.

You keep on keeping on though and we all hope we will win one this century.

* For the record, overall I do believe we have a solid recruiting class coming in. I think we will look back someday and say this was the year of the OL including the TE's. Again just not WR...??

And re the topic of KF's no-visit policy and the hypocrisy of us poaching other recruits. I think we saw by his comments this past week that he is relaxing his strict policy. I suspect Jr, Bell and others have possibly had a positive influence on him.

Last edited:
Or we can respect him for honoring his committment and wish him well. You know like CP87 pointed out re Jacobs.

"High integrity shown be Jacobs for sticking with his original choice. Conversely, incredible stupidity shown by KayRon Adams for not seeing the opportunity that Iowa provided for him.

Am I doing it right?

Seriously, much respect to both of these young men for honoring a commitment. Hopefully they both have great college experiences."

Or maybe he also has aspirations to play in the NFL someday. Who knows. But what we do know for certain is that UNI has a former RB AND a former WR on NFL active rosters. Us? Not so much. Not even a practice squad guy.

You keep on keeping on though and we all hope we will win one this century.

* For the record, overall I do believe we have a solid recruiting class coming in. I think we will look back someday and say this was the year of the OL including the TE's. Again just not WR...??

And re the topic of KF's no-visit policy and the hypocrisy of us poaching other recruits. I think we saw by his comments this past week that he is relaxing his strict policy. I suspect Jr, Bell and others have possibly had a positive influence on him.

First of all, I wasn't trying to disrespect him. I was disrespecting the poster who made this somehow about KF's ability to flip him. Guess what...we want guys that have a burning desire to play for Iowa and focus on their chosen sport. I agree, kudos to him for honoring a commitment. I don't have problem with that or him wanting to play two sports.

My point was that if he's not 100% about his decision to go to Iowa...we don't want him here....it rarely works in that situation. Don't make it about a failure somehow to recruit him. I'm sure he was a fall back position...and we had higher rated guys ahead him...if you want to focus on the issues there...fine.

All good.

I kind of wonder if this class isn't underrated?

To me it just feels like one of his better ones in recent years.

Our recruiting budget was almost at the bottom of the conference just 2 or 3 years ago.
(N'western isn't required to report). Don't know what it is now but there was no excuse for that. I have nothing to back this up, but whether due to new assistants or renewed energy, KF just seems more engaged and aggressive these days.

Lack of WR recruitment is still a major fail though.

To be fair here he wouldn’t be playing Ohio st in Kinnick during his college career assuming he redshirts in 2019 and plays 2020-2023. He’d get to play Michigan there once
First of all, I wasn't trying to disrespect him. I was disrespecting the poster who made this somehow about KF's ability to flip him. Guess what...we want guys that have a burning desire to play for Iowa and focus on their chosen sport. I agree, kudos to him for honoring a commitment. I don't have problem with that or him wanting to play two sports.

My point was that if he's not 100% about his decision to go to Iowa...we don't want him here....it rarely works in that situation. Don't make it about a failure somehow to recruit him. I'm sure he was a fall back position...and we had higher rated guys ahead him...if you want to focus on the issues there...fine.

Would you want a kid at Iowa that was hoping for a offer from a blue blood but didn’t get it and Iowa was his fallback school?

To be fair here he wouldn’t be playing Ohio st in Kinnick during his college career assuming he redshirts in 2019 and plays 2020-2023. He’d get to play Michigan there once

Would you want a kid at Iowa that was hoping for a offer from a blue blood but didn’t get it and Iowa was his fallback school?
How many of our recruits fit this scenario this year? Zero is my take on it. Just saying.

How many of our recruits fit this scenario this year? Zero is my take on it. Just saying.

It’s really hard to say. I wouldn’t imagine Iowa is a destination school for kids wanting to play college football unless they grew up in Iowa. Most of the best players of the Fry/Ferentz era are from out of state. Did Iowa have to fend off their home state school?

Iowa just may have been their best offer or in many cases we've seen under Ferentz, their only P5 offer. Others it could be a smart, forward thinking, business decision (Fant or now Jacobs possibly). Does Iowa offer them the best chance to get to the NFL at their position? Iowa puts a ton of OL, TEs, LBs, & DBs in the NFL. If you want to play those positions in the NFL you'd be crazy not to look at Iowa even if its not your favorite school.

Latest posts