Iowa offers 2014 PG - Tyus Jones

Looks talented, but he also looks like a Frosh. I wonder how much he is expected to grow.

Well that's a great start because his Frosh season hasn't even started! He played varsity last year as an 8th grader!

I have no idea how much he grows but if Iowa got him....WOW it'd be huge

Last edited:
Well that's a great start because his Frosh season hasn't even started! He played varsity last year as an 8th grader!

I have no idea how much he grows but if Iowa got him....WOW it'd be huge

Fran is doing the Tom Crean here and I like it. Iowa has to do things differently right now to get in the door and this is certainly a good way to do it.

Tubby has been to a lot of his games already, he has been featured in the sports pages already as an 8th grader, will get a ton attention similar to Paige. Hope the Hawks get him but there will be a lot of top notch competition from the big boys

I was talking to my buddy at work who is a huge Illini fan. He said the thing that really helped Weber get his recruiting going (yes, he started out with Self's recruits) was that he wasn't afraid to go after kids early (not like USC in football going after grade-schoolers) to get his own recruiting going.

I was talking to my buddy at work who is a huge Illini fan. He said the thing that really helped Weber get his recruiting going (yes, he started out with Self's recruits) was that he wasn't afraid to go after kids early (not like USC in football going after grade-schoolers) to get his own recruiting going.

Yeah when Weber did it they vilified him for not getting the "great" players out the the Chicago area, but what are the fans saying now? The Illini are my favorite to win the B10 as long as Weber and McCamey can coexist, they have depth, size and athleticism.

Tyus Jones 2014 Basketball Recruiting Profile - ESPN

Clip Syndicate Video: Local FB

Scout.com: TYUS JONES

Iowa is the first offer for Tyus. He is out of Apple Valley, MN.

Hawkeye fans, mark this date down: January 8th - Timberwolves Classic.

Linn-Mar plays Apple Valley. Paige vs. Jones.

The game will likely be streaming and on local TV. I've watching it up here in MN in the past.

Interesting. That would be sweet if we were watching two future Hawkeye stars!

I will be watching that game for sure...

This is great. Not only is it an early offer to a highly ranked player but it is a regional player. I'm hoping that the small momentum of this year's commits can snowball each year.

I know this is optimistic but who cares! I'm a fan and I'm excited about the near and long-term future of the program.

Just purely based on high-ranking regional kids
'11 - Oglesby (CR Kid) Top 150
'12 - Paige (Marion), Woodbury (SC), Gesell (SSC) Top 150
'13 - Jok (DM), Agou? (Omaha) Highly rated
'14 - Jones (MN) Highly-rated

I like the fact that if this team can show improvement and build excitement around the state and region then we have a chance to grab some of these players. I'm sure the '12 guys are familiar with Oglesby and the '13 guys know the '12 players. I would bet that Jones has heard of Jok and has either played against him or seen him play at AAU events. All of these regional guys can play and each one we can get will build momentum to get more of them.

It is a good idea to grab the Minnesota recruits early! Tubby won't be coaching for too many more years, that is for certain. Tyus will graduate in 2018, Tubby will be what? mid 70s??? If not, he will seem like it...

It is a good idea to grab the Minnesota recruits early! Tubby won't be coaching for too many more years, that is for certain. Tyus will graduate in 2018, Tubby will be what? mid 70s??? If not, he will seem like it...
Tubby is close to 60 now, so that'd put him in his late 60s, but your point is well made.