Iowa needed a "splash" hire like Iowa State

HawkeyeRyno

Banned
I hate to say it so early in Fran's tenure but the fact is this game cast many doubts on his pure coaching ability. Things were going to go bad the first year regardless of who was coach but that's why we needed someone to help at least improve the attendance as a starting point. After this game, attendance is going to really struggle for the foreseeable future.

Iowa State was in the same situation but Jamie Pollard took a big risk but great marketing ploy and hired a "splash" with a big name to the Cyclone loyals. It gets them excited and butts in the seat regardless of how they perform. It's turning out to be a brilliant hire now.

Barta needed to hire someone like Hoiberg. BJ Armstrong would have been our Hoiberg hire. Would have got butts in the seats and the losses wouldn't have mattered. Looking at the situation now, I'm thinking this would have provided more of a bandage. Because right now this program is on life support.

I hate to say it so early in Fran's tenure but the fact is this game cast many doubts on his pure coaching ability. Things were going to go bad the first year regardless of who was coach but that's why we needed someone to help at least improve the attendance as a starting point. After this game, attendance is going to really struggle for the foreseeable future.

Iowa State was in the same situation but Jamie Pollard took a big risk but great marketing ploy and hired a "splash" with a big name to the Cyclone loyals. It gets them excited and butts in the seat regardless of how they perform. It's turning out to be a brilliant hire now.

Barta needed to hire someone like Hoiberg. BJ Armstrong would have been our Hoiberg hire. Would have got butts in the seats and the losses wouldn't have mattered. Looking at the situation now, I'm thinking this would have provided more of a bandage. Because right now this program is on life support.

Move along people, nothing to see here.

How about after the shine wears off, 3-4 years down the road and you have to actually be a coach? How does a splash hire do then? Fran was a fine hire... he's trying to overcome 11 years of futility.

Give the guy some slack.

I'm not sold on Hoiberg... a bunch of cast off thugs and walked into a couple good seniors. Big deal. They haven't beaten anyone.

Not a great post here.

This is his first year. Lickliter left him with nothing. Absolutely nothing.

You are going to have to be patient. This is a major rebuilding project.

It's too early to tell but I'm betting that this puts a halt to the ones saying Fran WILLget it done. Sports create overreactions.

6 replies to this pathetic post and NOTHING from my "last 5 minutes of the first half" masterpiece? Sometimes I wish I just didn't care about Iowa basketball.:(

Guys, I'm not calling for Fran's firing. Just saying that Iowa needed more of an instant impact than Iowa State did. Iowa needs wins to get fans in seats but that's not going to happen. More people are going to leave if anything. A coach that we could all relate to and get excited to see would have created an environment like Hilton has. We are approaching wins first, attendance second and we are no where close to winning enough to fill Carver. We needed to fill Carver first then make winning easier to come by. Tonight's game was obvious that no team is intimated to come to Carver.

when i comes down to it a coach's job is to run a clean program, graduate his players and win games. if he does his job the fans will come around..

GIVE IT TIME

I think we can honestly say that both schools made good hires. Fran has raised bar as far as being competitive (tonight's game notwithstanding), and for now, the vast majority of fans are completely behind him. You should all be excited about the future.

Freddy has brought optimism and excitement. The team and players believe in themselves and don't quit. I am very excited about ISU's future, which I hope begins next year.

Guys, I'm not calling for Fran's firing. Just saying that Iowa needed more of an instant impact than Iowa State did. Iowa needs wins to get fans in seats but that's not going to happen. More people are going to leave if anything. A coach that we could all relate to and get excited to see would have created an environment like Hilton has. We are approaching wins first, attendance second and we are no where close to winning enough to fill Carver. We needed to fill Carver first then make winning easier to come by. Tonight's game was obvious that no team is intimated to come to Carver.
Thing is, their attendance didn't fall as far as ours did. Not only that, but their set-up and student support make it seem like the place is full even when it's not.

6 replies to this pathetic post and NOTHING from my "last 5 minutes of the first half" masterpiece? Sometimes I wish I just didn't care about Iowa basketball.:(

guess it wasnt a "splash" post

sometimes the good posts go under the radar when others make "splash" posts

How about after the shine wears off, 3-4 years down the road and you have to actually be a coach? How does a splash hire do then? Fran was a fine hire... he's trying to overcome 11 years of futility.

Give the guy some slack.

I'm not sold on Hoiberg... a bunch of cast off thugs and walked into a couple good seniors. Big deal. They haven't beaten anyone.

I'm curious who you're implying is a thug besides Royce White. I'll give you that one, I wasn't real happy to hear we picked him up. Although, he's apparently been a model student so far (yes, it's a long time till next season).

But as for any others, who do you mean?

guess it wasnt a "splash" post

sometimes the good posts go under the radar when others make "splash" posts

I knew it was timing. Damn it, wait until the game is over. Stupid on my part.;) Oh, and say something about Iowa State.

I'm curious who you're implying is a thug besides Royce White. I'll give you that one, I wasn't real happy to hear we picked him up. Although, he's apparently been a model student so far (yes, it's a long time till next season).

But as for any others, who do you mean?
He's probably talking about Scott Christopherson... He's a big thug. :D

Give the guy some slack.

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. Garrett is pretty good, but Jamie can't do ANYTHING but knock down a three. As for the "thugs". Book and Babb are not thugs. Allen just had a disagreement with Izzo. Royce would be the only one you could call a "thug", but as long as he keeps his nose clean I'm fine with him. First sign of bad behavior he needs to be gone. Also, in 3-4 years, Hoiberg will be an experienced coach. He's been around basketball his whole life, and knows how to play and teach his players.

Give me a break. OP it's not even a year since the worst coach in the History of the program was fired. If in 3 years we still having issues then yes posts like this I would expect. Not now not this early..

You need to go sleep it off. What a joke post...

Latest posts