Iowa-Michigan game is really quite simple

SteveDeace

Iowa has to avoid the big plays from an explosive offense early in the first quarter that creates momentum with the crowd, somewhat similar to what it didn't do early on at Arizona (especially on special teams).

If Iowa gets out of the first quarter with at least a stalemate as Michigan State did, which I would define as anything short of a 10-0 lead for the Wolverines, the Hawkeyes will win the game provided they don't start turning the ball over because they're the more physical team and that will bear out over time provided Iowa doesn't dig itself a hole.

That's especially true because in three years the only time a Rich Rodriguez-coached team has shown any resolve against quality Big Ten opposition was his first Big Ten game against Wisconsin, when the Wolverines rebounded from a 19-0 halftime deficit to win, which has obviously proven itself to be a total fluke since.

I expect Iowa to win, 31-21.

Deacer nailed it. Keep it close early and we'll beat 'em into submission. Without TO's or Special team blunders, this team can't line up man to man with the Hawks.

Throwing AZ out. The Hawks have relied this year on jumping out on teams and playing keep away. I don't think I would change that strategy. Take advantage if that weak defensive backfield and jump out on em.

Keep the ball away from their offense with nice sustained drives where you mix it up in the first half and then pound them into submission in the second half.

I am actually worried that Iowa jumps out to a lead and then goes into "take the air out of the ball" mode. With the big play capability of Michigan, a 10-14 point lead isn't as safe as it would be a team like Penn St.

I am actually worried that Iowa jumps out to a lead and then goes into "take the air out of the ball" mode. With the big play capability of Michigan, a 10-14 point lead isn't as safe as it would be a team like Penn St.

This.

Iowa has to account for the UDR Blitz. That to me is just about the entire story of this game. If Iowa does that successfully game over.

One thing the Hawks absolutely must do is finish drives with touchdowns and not field goals. When you're playing a team with such big play capabilities, it's extremely important that trips to the red zone result in touchdowns.

There's nothing worse than having a 4-6 minute drive end up in a field goal and then have Michigan break a big play for a touchdown. Even as good as our defense was last year, we still gave up 28 points. This Michigan team is more dangerous and our linebackers aren't near as good as they were last year. Therefore, it's even more paramount that we get touchdowns.

One thing the Hawks absolutely must do is finish drives with touchdowns and not field goals. When you're playing a team with such big play capabilities, it's extremely important that trips to the red zone result in touchdowns.

There's nothing worse than having a 4-6 minute drive end up in a field goal and then have Michigan break a big play for a touchdown. Even as good as our defense was last year, we still gave up 28 points. This Michigan team is more dangerous and our linebackers aren't near as good as they were last year. Therefore, it's even more paramount that we get touchdowns.

21 points, and this years defense, as a whole, is arguably better than last years.

21 points, and this years defense, as a whole, is arguably better than last years.

DRob is a little better than when we faced him for part of the time last year. If Michigan cant top 21 (which I dont think they will) Hawks will take care of business

Agreed.

Msu had a couple of long runs where a-rob would have been caught from behind. I could see a couple of drives stall-out and given the placekicking situation it is a concern.

With that said, i agree with Deace and others that make the point of Iowa's physicality being enough to propel the Hawks to victory.

The word is that the newly renovated Big House is much louder than the old version with the added suites to keep the noise contained....so I agree that Iowa must start strong, get out to an early lead,keep the crowd out of it,and try to force the Wolves to play catchup and make D-Rob pass more than run.

I have Iowa winning 24-23....1990 redux.

As long as Iowa stays in managable down and distances they will win the game. If they find themselves in a lot of 3rd and long Michigan will blitz and get after Stanzi.....the other side is that KOK can't be too predictable in his play calls. But in the end it all boils down to execution.

I expect Iowa to come out sharp and move the ball. I just hope they continue to attack and don't get too conservative.

The word is that the newly renovated Big House is much louder than the old version with the added suites to keep the noise contained....so I agree that Iowa must start strong, get out to an early lead,keep the crowd out of it,and try to force the Wolves to play catchup and make D-Rob pass more than run.

I have Iowa winning 24-23....1990 redux.

Watching their game on TV today, the place seemed like a library. Every other game sounded significantly louder. My room mate is a drummer who used to march and when they had a closeup on one of the drummers he was blown away that you could hear the sticks click against each other. This was in the middle of the game, not at halftime or before the game got going or anything. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Big House holds 108,000 of the nation's quietest fans.

The game won't be close. Michigan's D is a national laughingstock. I see Denard being severly slowed down and tentative to run as the hits rack up and he'll have to start throwing downfield. He may not throw 3 picks again (though it's far from an impossibility), but he'll be throwing into coverage pretty much all of the second half.

42-17 Hawks.

I respectfully disagree. We have fewer sacks, fewer tackles for loss, and fewer turnovers forced. Our linebackers don't tackle near as well (even Phil Parker agrees) and don't flow to the ball near as well as Angerer/Edds did. Our cornerback play isn't nearly as good as it was last year either.

This D being better than last year's is quite a mouthful.

2 LBs early in the draft, a CB early in the draft.

One of the replacement LBs (the guy making the calls) is a true freshman (third string before injuries), the other a first time starter.

I'm not necessarily saying you are right or wrong, but saying that this years' D or any D is better than last years is just quite a statement to make.

Last years game - what was the score again? 30-28 in Kinnick?? And Iowa was a team that won a BCS bowl? I wouldn't dismiss Michigan as quickly as some in this thread, especially the self-proclaimed Hawk-hater.

Last edited by a moderator:
I respectfully disagree. We have fewer sacks, fewer tackles for loss, and fewer turnovers forced. Our linebackers don't tackle near as well (even Phil Parker agrees) and don't flow to the ball near as well as Angerer/Edds did. Our cornerback play isn't nearly as good as it was last year either.

#1 Scoring defense (includes a pick 6, kickoff return, and series that started on 6 yd line)
#2 Rush Defense (no td's given up)
#4 Total Defense
#10 Pass Efficiency Defense
#28 Pass Defense

- i like these numbers.

This D being better than last year's is quite a mouthful.

2 LBs early in the draft, a CB early in the draft.

One of the replacement LBs (the guy making the calls) is a true freshman (third string before injuries), the other a first time starter.

I'm not necessarily saying you are right or wrong, but saying that this years' D or any D is better than last years is just quite a statement to make.

Last years game - what was the score again? 30-28 in Kinnick?? And Iowa was a team that won a BCS bowl? I wouldn't dismiss Michigan as quickly as some in this thread, especially the self-proclaimed Hawk-hater.

Exactly. This year's defense is NOT better than last years. It's good, but not better.

However, last year's game is an interesting one to consider. First, we had that pick 6 that put us in an early 0-7 hole. Second, Michigan got all of it's offensive points on the ground, with a solid running back in Minor. They also had several defensive players who are not going to be playing in this game.

I certainly am not dismissing Michigan, but their defense still doesn't convince me that they are a legitimate threat. Michigan will win on big offensive plays and off of Iowa's mistakes on offense or special teams. Hopefully, those won't happen...

This game, IMO comes down to this: Was last week a fluke for Denard Robinson. Very good players seldom have two weeks in a row like last week. He shouldn't have another one if he is what people thought he was before last week. If he isn't what we thought, Michigan loses and probably badly because their D cannot get people off the field. That"s how simple it is.

O'Keefe will do everything he can to keep Michigan within striking distance.
Are you claiming that this all falls on Ken's shoulders? Any chance that a coach at a higher pay level has something to do with the so-called conservative play calling? Is O'Keefe totally responsible for missed blocking assignments, dropped passes, false starts, and holding penalties?

Latest posts