Iowa-Michigan game is really quite simple

We have fewer sacks, fewer tackles for loss, and fewer turnovers forced.
And fewer points surrendered.

The jury is still out on which defense is better, but if we are going to make comparisons we should include all relevant information.

DRob is a little better than when we faced him for part of the time last year. If Michigan cant top 21 (which I dont think they will) Hawks will take care of business

Not as a passer, he's not, especially on deep balls. He's obviously a better runner, and on his feet in the only area where he is a consistent threat.

This D being better than last year's is quite a mouthful.

2 LBs early in the draft, a CB early in the draft.

One of the replacement LBs (the guy making the calls) is a true freshman (third string before injuries), the other a first time starter.

I'm not necessarily saying you are right or wrong, but saying that this years' D or any D is better than last years is just quite a statement to make.

Last years game - what was the score again? 30-28 in Kinnick?? And Iowa was a team that won a BCS bowl? I wouldn't dismiss Michigan as quickly as some in this thread, especially the self-proclaimed Hawk-hater.

So what? Iowa only beat UNI and Ark. St. by a combined four points. That's something a Cyclone fan would say.

Iowa played down to their opposition at home last year; that's no secret. But they kicked *** and took names on the road.

In addition to staving off the big play early, I'd like to see Iowa jump out to a lead. After last week, I think falling in the hole early could really destroy any confidence left over from Denard's post game speech. Plus, did you see what Michigan looked like playing from behind in the second half against MSU?

And fewer points surrendered.

The jury is still out on which defense is better, but if we are going to make comparisons we should include all relevant information.

I think that's more of a reflection of the teams we've played than anything. UNI was a lot better than E. Illinois and Ark State was a lot better than Ball State. Also, last year PSU was a top 5-10 team.....this year, not so much.

Iowa has a steller defense and as most of us are aware of Michigan doesn't. However, to qualify that, Michigan does have a lot of blue chip talent on defense, offense and on the bench. There are intangibles, but Iowa shouldn't have any trouble.

I think the defense will contain Denard Robinson. If he is contained and on the bench then Iowa's offense will tire out Michigan's defense.

Deace is correct. I've been saying it all week too, as long as Iowa survives the 1st quarter, the Hawks have nothing to worry about. Play 15 min. and we'll know the outcome.

Not as a passer, he's not, especially on deep balls. He's obviously a better runner, and on his feet in the only area where he is a consistent threat.

Oh please, he's a better thrower than he was last year. Anyway, it doesn't matter if he has struggled with the deep ball. He will throw it. If he will throw it that mean you have to defend it. If you don't he will hit it at least once like he did twice last week. He had one dropped and had one caught. If you guys want to go into a cover 0 I am sure Michigan will be more than happy to take a chance with their poor throwing QB, but I would suggest you don't do that. You can look up his accuracy on the deep ball too, it's really not that bad.

I think the questions as to whether or not DR is the real deal are definitely legit, however that same logic can also be applied to us. I'm as big a believer as anyone that this team is special, however it also became clear to me last week that our biggest win so far this season, doesn't seem so big after PSU got dismantled by Illinois. IMO we can't take anything for granted and can only hope we're ready to play on Saturday.

This D being better than last year's is quite a mouthful.

2 LBs early in the draft, a CB early in the draft.

One of the replacement LBs (the guy making the calls) is a true freshman (third string before injuries), the other a first time starter.

I'm not necessarily saying you are right or wrong, but saying that this years' D or any D is better than last years is just quite a statement to make.

Last years game - what was the score again? 30-28 in Kinnick?? And Iowa was a team that won a BCS bowl? I wouldn't dismiss Michigan as quickly as some in this thread, especially the self-proclaimed Hawk-hater.

I agree. Lots of folks dismiss Michigan because...I'm not sure. Because MSU beat them? First of all, I think Iowa fans, for the most part, do not give MSU enough credit. They are a good team. Michigan almost beat Iowa last year, and if it wasn't for Dennard's pick, they were moving down the field nicely with him at the end of the game. I'll be very happy with a victory. I'll be thrilled if it is as easy as some here say it will be.

I'll also only get cocky about this years team if they win the next three in a row.

Defense has been good....

#1 Scoring defense (includes a pick 6, kickoff return, and series that started on 6 yd line)
#2 Rush Defense (no td's given up)
#4 Total Defense
#10 Pass Efficiency Defense
#28 Pass Defense

- i like these numbers.

but Hawks' biggest challenges are ahead of them. Eastern Illinois - bad. Iowa State - bad. Ball State - bad. Penn State offense - not good.

Michigan/MSU/OSU/Northwestern/Indiana all have good offensive teams. Only Minnesota does not of the remaining teams on the schedule. The Iowa defense is good, but I would be shocked if we finish the year No. 1 in scoring defense, just because the offenses we are facing will be much better.

I am actually worried that Iowa jumps out to a lead and then goes into "take the air out of the ball" mode. With the big play capability of Michigan, a 10-14 point lead isn't as safe as it would be a team like Penn St.

I am not worried about that. The Michigan offense is not the Penn State offense. Iowa knew PSU wasn't going to be a threat to consistently put drives together and score touchdowns. Michigan can do that on one snap.

One thing the Hawks absolutely must do is finish drives with touchdowns and not field goals. When you're playing a team with such big play capabilities, it's extremely important that trips to the red zone result in touchdowns.

There's nothing worse than having a 4-6 minute drive end up in a field goal and then have Michigan break a big play for a touchdown. Even as good as our defense was last year, we still gave up 28 points. This Michigan team is more dangerous and our linebackers aren't near as good as they were last year. Therefore, it's even more paramount that we get touchdowns.
I don't think you can compare last year to this year. Iowa didn't fully prepare for Robinson because it was Forcier (sp) who was the starting QB at Michigan when Iowa played them. I really think it would have been different if Iowa fully prepared for Robinson.

Iowa 35 Michigan 24

Close, hard-fought game. But Michigan kicks FGs after getting in the red zone. Iowa scores TDs.

I think that's more of a reflection of the teams we've played than anything. UNI was a lot better than E. Illinois and Ark State was a lot better than Ball State. Also, last year PSU was a top 5-10 team.....this year, not so much.

I agree that the PSU squad is not as good this year as last. However, Iowa fans have to remember that Iowa faced a much better PSU squad than the one that Illinois faced. For goodness sakes, through much of the Illinois game, the PSU D was playing without 4 of their regular starters on the FRONT SEVEN alone. When you also take in account Sukay's injury ... they then lost a key DB in the game too.

Then you have to ask yourself what is the strength of the Illini's O? It's their running game. PSU was basically forced to try to stop a pretty good rushing attack with their 2nd team D. That isn't an easy chore ... especially when you're own O is facing off against a pretty decent attacking D and your QB is a TR FR.

I don't think you can compare last year to this year. Iowa didn't fully prepare for Robinson because it was Forcier (sp) who was the starting QB at Michigan when Iowa played them. I really think it would have been different if Iowa fully prepared for Robinson.

I think that that is part of the story. I also think that another part of it is that the Iowa D was basically playing it ultra conservative against the Michigan O when Denard was at the helm ... because they didn't want to give up a quick score. The philosophy there was to make sure that they kept ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING in front of them. As a result, Denard DID drive the Wolverines down the field ... but they also bled-out the clock in so doing.

The 2010 installment of Denard poses more "issues" because he's a much better passer. However, I also think that the Iowa DL is a much more powerful unit than it was last year. As a result, I think that the Michigan OL won't have quite as much luck blocking our guys. Mind you, that won't be a given ... however, I trust that our DL will work their behinds off to make sure that they do their respective jobs. They're a unit that is capable of being very disciplined while still being very disruptive.

Also, I'm a little disturbed by all the "poor mouthing" of Iowa's LBs. While it's true that Iowa doesn't have a Greg Jones ... I wouldn't exactly scoff at what Nielsen and Hunter bring to the table. And Johnson has seen a lot of action and has played really well for us before too.

Latest posts