Iowa MBB: VanLaere’s 2012-13 Season Preview & Prediction

It's tough to rule out a home team in college basketball. It wouldn't completely shock me if we won all those road games or if we beat Minnesota or Northwestern on the road.

A 2 win start wouldn't surprise me either though.

As long as Iowa doesn't lose any of those "easy" non-con games, it shouldn't matter. Iowa's conference schedule is tough enough that at the end of the year their SOS will be pretty solid. If Iowa can go 9-9 in conference and take care of the non-con schedule they will be dancing no, no question about it.

It depends on which 9 conference teams Iowa beats. With sweeps over Nebby, PSU, and NW 6 of those could be against non-NCAA qualifiers. If the other 3 wins aren't noteworthy Iowa could be in trouble. I'm just saying that 9 isn't a magic number.

How many games do you think Iowa wins in the first 10?

Indiana
at Michigan
Michigan State
at Northwestern
Wisconsin
at Ohio State
at Purdue
Penn State
at Minnesota
at Wisconsin

If they can get 4 in there, they will be in great shape to make a run at the NCAA tourney.

No, I get what you are saying and how you break it down. I am not knocking your picks. And, it's a tough schedule. And it is possible. I just think Iowa will exceed expectations and be better than 2-8. I think the roster is too talented to go 2-8 over the first 10 conference games regardless of the schedule. But, that could be wishful thinking. Without breaking it down game by game, I think they can go 5-5.

It depends on which 9 conference teams Iowa beats. With sweeps over Nebby, PSU, and NW 6 of those could be against non-NCAA qualifiers. If the other 3 wins aren't noteworthy Iowa could be in trouble. I'm just saying that 9 isn't a magic number.

9 may not be the magic number but the Big Ten definitely gets 6 teams in the dance this year and maybe 7. Indiana, Mich, Mich St, Ohio St are definites and then I say Minnesota, Wisconsin, Purdue and Iowa will all have a chance to get in. I think .500 in the toughest conference this year will get you in.

I agree with this

As strong as the B1G is this year, 9 wins in conference gets us to the dance. I don't mind our non-conf schedule this year, but next year they need to step it up a bit.

Thanks for all your hard work on this piece spank! Good read and I agree almost 100% on your predictions. Going to be fun watching this team! Go Hawks!

How many games do you think Iowa wins in the first 10?

Indiana
at Michigan
Michigan State
at Northwestern
Wisconsin
at Ohio State
at Purdue
Penn State
at Minnesota
at Wisconsin

If they can get 4 in there, they will be in great shape to make a run at the NCAA tourney.

If Iowa pulls a couple upsets they could go 8-2, or like you said they could go 2-8. I'll pick the middle and go 5-5.

Not too worried about making the NCAA tourney this season....the Hawks have a LOT of very young players.

I think the talent is there, though, and they should be able to at least make bubble status. IMO it will take a minimum of 21 total and 10 conference wins to get in.

Should be another fun and exciting year. Iowa will upset a team or two....they just need to make sure THEY don't get upset!

If Iowa pulls a couple upsets they could go 8-2, or like you said they could go 2-8. I'll pick the middle and go 5-5.

I think you and atomic who is predicting 25 regular season wins are gonna be disappointed. After these 10 games... you'll probably be saying something like "Well... we are starting 2 true freshman and the Big Ten is loaded."

I hate our non-conference schedule though I understand it. Playing good non-conference teams, at home especially. You beat a non-conference, ranked team and excitement is built for the coming season. This has been something that has been lacking in both big sports.

That's not to say that I don't understand the reasoning behind such things but I still remember beating Kansas two years in a row,or the Arizona State games in football. Even the Nebraska games were fun despite the fact that we all knew we'd get slaughtered.

As strong as the B1G is this year, 9 wins in conference gets us to the dance. I don't mind our non-conf schedule this year, but next year they need to step it up a bit.

You don't get how the selection process goes, do you? 9 wins could very well be enough but there's a very good chance, in Iowa's case, that it wouldn't.

You don't get how the selection process goes, do you? 9 wins could very well be enough but there's a very good chance, in Iowa's case, that it wouldn't.

I think Iowa would have to pull off some big time wins in order for 9 to do it. Taking down Michigan or Indiana (assuming either are as good as their ranking) with some wins over some top 15-20 teams could probably do it.

As long as Iowa doesn't lose any of those "easy" non-con games, it shouldn't matter. Iowa's conference schedule is tough enough that at the end of the year their SOS will be pretty solid. If Iowa can go 9-9 in conference and take care of the non-con schedule they will be dancing no, no question about it.

I think many people are underestimating just how bad our non-con schedule is. Every win over a team with a 300+ RPI is about as good (RPI-wise) as a loss to a top 100 team. Think about it this way: Iowa going 11-2 in the non-conference (which means no slip-ups) means about the same as going 8-5 with a good/average schedule (4 cupcakes, 4 respectable mid-majors, and 5 top 100s). To really make a strong case for the Big Dance, the Hawks will, in my opinion, need to do one of three things:

1. Go 12-1 or 13-0 out of conference,
2. Go 11-7 in the B1G, OR
3. Make the weekend at the B1G tourney

Our schedule is that​ bad.

LOL.....that's me laughing at you, not with you, pal. If you only knew how well I know how the selection process goes. When it comes to college athletics, I'm a made guy. You're not. Now, before I make you an offer you can't refuse, scurry on back to Lames and find the nearest sheep, errr, cheerleader to cuddle up with tonight - it's gonna be a cold one! Baaaaaaaa....

Latest posts