Iowa - K-State Game Thread

This team is hard to get a handle on. Coming in, I think most were uncomfortable with Iowa's chance of replacing Czinano and Warnock with the current roster. Stuelke has made some definite strides. Goodman is limited athletically but gets the most out of what she has. O'Grady to me has never looked like she has that "competitive personality" that you want to see. I doubt the coaches would ever admit it, but she has been a disappointment thus far this season. It's just not part of her make-up.

I'm still amazed at the complete lack of success Bluder had in the portal during the off-season. She can spin it however she wants, but this roster could have used a good effective frontline player.

The biggest disappointment from last night was Martin and Marshall. I love Martin's grit and her excellent leadership, but she needs to step up her play and intensity. That wide open missed layup is indicative of where she is at right now. If those two are MIA, Clark needs to be otherworldly and that's not going to happen every game.

Clark sick or preggo? Could you imagine if she was like 8 wks preggo??!! How would Hawkeye nation feel about that? Ole Connor would be in some deep shit haha. But seriously she looked lethargic as all get out. That's as slow as I've ever seen her play she didn't sprint or have a quick first step at all it didn't seem like. Her body language as the game went on was terrible. She kept shooting but she had no confidence in it. Her shot selection was terrible too. It wasn't like Iowa was ever down 20 and out of it. That was a close game all the way through she really needs to work on how she has her head in the game.

Iowa was in the bonus the final 2 mins or so plus of every q. Had KSU in foul trouble big time yet instead of going inside or driving more they settled for fade away Js and tough 3s way too much. So I put some of that on the coaches they really shoulda made an effort to play smarter ball

This team has a way different feel then last yrs already. This is as much of a one man team as it could be. It's Clark and the Clarkettes out there. Nobody else can hit a jump shot so when she's off they are in trouble. Other teams can just pack it in don't give Iowa layups and try and force Clark into taking tough long 2 pt shots off the dribble and there's your recipe for beating this team.

For Iowa to win they need Clark to play like she normally does and a couple shooters to be able to hit spot up 3s and a couple bigs who can finish inside. If it's going to be nothing but hero ball from Clark I could see this team struggling against good teams.

Clark sick or preggo? Could you imagine if she was like 8 wks preggo??!! How would Hawkeye nation feel about that? Ole Connor would be in some deep shit haha. But seriously she looked lethargic as all get out. That's as slow as I've ever seen her play she didn't sprint or have a quick first step at all it didn't seem like. Her body language as the game went on was terrible. She kept shooting but she had no confidence in it. Her shot selection was terrible too. It wasn't like Iowa was ever down 20 and out of it. That was a close game all the way through she really needs to work on how she has her head in the game.

Iowa was in the bonus the final 2 mins or so plus of every q. Had KSU in foul trouble big time yet instead of going inside or driving more they settled for fade away Js and tough 3s way too much. So I put some of that on the coaches they really shoulda made an effort to play smarter ball

This team has a way different feel then last yrs already. This is as much of a one man team as it could be. It's Clark and the Clarkettes out there. Nobody else can hit a jump shot so when she's off they are in trouble. Other teams can just pack it in don't give Iowa layups and try and force Clark into taking tough long 2 pt shots off the dribble and there's your recipe for beating this team.

For Iowa to win they need Clark to play like she normally does and a couple shooters to be able to hit spot up 3s and a couple bigs who can finish inside. If it's going to be nothing but hero ball from Clark I could see this team struggling against good teams.
This! KSU played team defense with emphasis on Clark. CC played here ball the last two minutes.

Over and over again Clark was momentarily open

And was awaiting a pass to set her up

Whoever was handling the ball didn't even look at her

And would pass the ball to a non-scoring threat

Caitlin would get a quick WTF look for a quick second or two

When you have to best scorer in Women's Basketball History

You give her the ball immediately

There were many times that her teammates even look at her

K-State was a nasty team

One time Stuelke tripped over her own feet

They showed one of the opposing players openly laughing on her
way downcourt

Last edited:

Entire team looked Letharic

We must have production from Martin and Martin

Warnock and Cinzano are Really missed

One would think Lisa Bluder would have noticed some of our observations

From afar

There is no excuse to deny Caitlin the ball when she has room to operate

The screens for her were cut off quite nicely by the Wildcats

Entire team looked Letharic

We must have production from Martin and Martin

Warnock and Cinzano are Really missed

One would think Lisa Bluder would have noticed some of our observations

From afar

There is no excuse to deny Caitlin the ball when she has room to operate

The screens for her were cut off quite nicely by the Wildcats
For sure if Gabby and Kate can't contribute anything more then that then holy crap. That has to be as bad as Kate Martin has ever played. They so badly need Gabby to be that spot up 3 pt marksman to spread the floor but she's just way too hit or miss. She's more apt to miss 10 straight then make 3 straight. That makes things tough for Clark.

Clark and Monica had unbelievable chemistry. Clark doesn't seem to have that with anyone else on the floor wise anyway.

Credit KSU for how they defended. They had a plan and executed it. Iowa shoulda had found a way to drive/cut and go inside more. Once Clark got frustrated and was in her head she wasn't snapping out of it. She was hell bent on shooting outside tough shots off the dribble and man that wasn't working...

Last night was what I expected from the team this year after Bruder failed to bring in any transfer help for Clark. Everyone just looked out of step with each other. It didn't look like the same team that played VA tech.

Bluder tried to get help in the transfer portal, but Iowa didn't have deep enough pockets. When she made the "salary cap" comment this off season, I totally got it.

Last edited:

She looked frustrated throughout the entire game. I couldn't tell if it was with herself or her teammates.

Latest posts