Iowa/ISU basketball rivalry in jeopardy

It appears that some want to portray this as the University of Iowa being afraid to challenge the three other D1 teams in the state. Iowa has been gracious enough to play the other three teams for many years, whether it was financially beneficial or not. It is unfortunate that this is occurring when Iowa is down in basketball because it looks like Iowa is avoiding these three teams.

The article is pretty straight forward, 18 conference games, which means nine road trips in a very demanding conference. The article is on target when Iowa gains no exposure outside of Iowa when it plays the other three in-state D1 teams. On Wednesday it was suggested that the four teams play a double hitter at Well Fargo in Des Moines. I don't think that means you are ducking anyone, you are just doing what is best for your program.

As an older fan I can remember when Iowa didn't play the other three at all in most sports. It wasn't a big deal. Playing the other three teams is more beneficial to them than Iowa in my estimation. It guarantees a good gate for each team when Iowa comes to town, but it doesn't always translate the other way.

Conference realignment is beginning to be felt. You may not like it, but the circumstances for scheduling has also changed. While you may not like Iowa's non-conference schedule there are currently ranked programs with just as unattractive schedules. Ask yourself are there teams other than Drake, ISU, or UNI that you would like to see scheduled? I can think of several teams that Iowa played and no longer plays because of the rather static schedule.

It appears that some want to portray this as the University of Iowa being afraid to challenge the three other D1 teams in the state. Iowa has been gracious enough to play the other three teams for many years, whether it was financially beneficial or not. It is unfortunate that this is occurring when Iowa is down in basketball because it looks like Iowa is avoiding these three teams.

The article is pretty straight forward, 18 conference games, which means nine road trips in a very demanding conference. The article is on target when Iowa gains no exposure outside of Iowa when it plays the other three in-state D1 teams. On Wednesday it was suggested that the four teams play a double hitter at Well Fargo in Des Moines. I don't think that means you are ducking anyone, you are just doing what is best for your program.

As an older fan I can remember when Iowa didn't play the other three at all in most sports. It wasn't a big deal. Playing the other three teams is more beneficial to them than Iowa in my estimation. It guarantees a good gate for each team when Iowa comes to town, but it doesn't always translate the other way.

Conference realignment is beginning to be felt. You may not like it, but the circumstances for scheduling has also changed. While you may not like Iowa's non-conference schedule there are currently ranked programs with just as unattractive schedules. Ask yourself are there teams other than Drake, ISU, or UNI that you would like to see scheduled? I can think of several teams that Iowa played and no longer plays because of the rather static schedule.

You're a bumbling idiot. Exposure? We need in-state exposure to recruit the best Iowa has to offer. Hoiberg is going to clean Fran's clock on recruiting if he doesn't start paying attention in Iowa.

I'm ok with not playing in-state mid-majors like UNI & Drake - I remember not playing those teams back in the 80's and I was fine with that. But I'd hate to see the Iowa/ISU series come to an end. Two in-state rivals.. One from the Big 10, the other from the Big XII.. It would be a shame for them not to play each other IMO.

You're a bumbling idiot. Exposure? We need in-state exposure to recruit the best Iowa has to offer. Hoiberg is going to clean Fran's clock on recruiting if he doesn't start paying attention in Iowa.

That post must have struck a cord.

Why was this not an issue under Tom Davis? Oh yea b/c he still scheduled other teams and wasn't afraid of losing instate games.

He can say he wants to play better teams all he wants but that doesn't make much sense when he's getting beat by scrub teams 2 straight non confernece seasons.

You don't think Iowa benefits from playing ISU in basketball? I get Drake and UNI but Carver isn't exactly bursting at the seams with fans.

I'm fine with ending the series if Iowa wants to poos out of it. If ISU were to pull the plug I'd have an effeminate(sp) name in store for somebody as well.

Some people don't remember how great the Iowa-ISU basketball series was...and could be again.

actually if the rumor about the games in the come true Iowa vs ISU will come to an end and people can thank UNI and Drake
alternating years Iowa would play UNI then Drake then ISU would play the other
gotta play the little guys to keep fans happy
you don't see KSU or Kansas play Witcha St
nor do you see Okie St and Oklahoma play Tulsa
i can go on with other states that have such a thing
Tom Davis didn't want to play UNI
said he had nothing to prove by playing them
then the State got involved
at that time Iowa were playing teams like UNC, Arizona and others on a home and home basis
and for the record they are allowed 28 games, with the 28th being the CCG series with the rest not counting
the one way teams are allowed to play more is by playing a exempt tourney
the Howard Classic is a exempt tourny that has 4 games
the Great Alaska tourney is exempt
so Iowa is allowed 9 OOC games and 18 conference games and as many games as they can win in the BTT and either of the after seasons Tourney
there is no way of knowing if Iowa will get invited to these exempt tourneys year after year as with some tourneys, teams can only play in them once every 4 years
that's why i suggested it be a 2 day event playing for a Champion
let each team earn the right to play for the state championship and then free up another game for OOC
in a couple years you will not see that many games against the Chi St. of the college bb
world

Last edited:
The uni vs iowa game wasn't even on tv. Then why play it? I'd much rather have iowa play in tournaments and play on national television.

I like this quote, especially coming from a cyclone: "That's Drake's national championship game, all you have to do is look at cost of the tickets for that game vs. a regular MVC game."

The uni vs iowa game wasn't even on tv. Then why play it? I'd much rather have iowa play in tournaments and play on national television.
Only 3 of Iowa's 9 games have been on TV. Why play the other 6? At least the UNI game draws some fan interest.

Shut up slave.

thface_racist.gif

Shut it down. Play games in places where it will help with recruiting. 3 in-state games is just not smart.

What places can Iowa play that will help with recruiting? I am curious where you think Iowa should be playing if they stop playing UNI, ISU, and DRAKE?

I really see no reason to end the ISU match up. Also playing UNI how they currently are really should help Iowa if Iowa was worth a damb.

I'm fine with not playing Drake or UNI but the series with ISU is fun when both teams are good. I'm old and when I was in school the atmosphere at Carver for the ISU game the atmosphere was electric.

I'm guessing that the series will continue. Let's hope both teams can become relevant again and the games matter to people outside the state like they used to.

Latest posts